FE Power Forums > The Road to Drag Week 2016

The Road to Drag Week 2016 - Old School Style

(1/19) > >>

cjshaker:
I don't have anything near as exciting as Jay or Joel, but thought I'd throw my .02 cents in anyway.

Most of you know my car and combo, basically a stock bodied R-code Mach 1 with a Calvert suspension and 427 MR under the hood. Nothing fancy, basically a stock 427 except for the cam and rocker set-up, running though a Toploader 4 spd and Locker rear. Your basic stuff.

Without a line lock, I couldn't do a proper burnout at the FE Reunion, and coupled with bad shock settings I had really bad traction issues. To get ready for Drag Week I just added my Hurst Roll Control kit. Not where I wanted to put it, but with the engine, master cylinder and booster in the way there was no way I could get down in there under the master to mount it there. Removing the booster assy and master just wasn't something I wanted to do, so I mounted it in front of the shock tower.

Since my road is closed due to replacing the culvert next to my house, I have ZERO traffic on my road. Which presented itself as the perfect place to try it out ;D

I finished it up Saturday and gave it a go-round on the road (this is all just fiction if we have any law enforcement officers on this page :)) and everything seemed to work fine. I have a bit more air to bleed out, but I need to drive it a few times to get it worked through the system. Static bleeding just wouldn't get rid of it all.

Since I never use or need the heater, I removed the heater hoses for Drag Week to give me less things to go wrong. I actually like it better without the hoses in the way, so it'll stay that way. I also have my intake marked for different timing settings, so I can make quick changes without dragging out the timing light. If I get bad gas, it also gives me an idea of where to back it off to. I've always done it this way and it's pretty handy; I just verify the settings every spring to make sure nothing has changed. You can see my red 42* setting, where the engine made it's best power. The green is for 40* and the black for 38*.

I need to get started on my hitch and trailer now. Heo gave me a great idea for the hitch that I think will work out good and I won't have to cut up or weld anything to the car except to a spare rear bumper that I already have. Thanks for that idea, Heo! I've also decided that my little 4 lug lawn trailer isn't really up to the task even though it's wired for road duty, so now I need to find and purchase a better lightweight trailer and get it rigged up. I've been looking at the perforated steel trailers at Tractor Supply and think their smallest one will work ok after I re-do it. My friends still think I'm crazy for doing this, but they're anxious to come to Columbus or Norwalk to watch me and the others run.

jayb:
Looks good Doug, wish my Mach 1 was as clean and sanitary looking as yours is.  Certainly an advantage to staying mostly stock.  I'll bet your friends will all be converts to Drag Week once they attend the event!

Heo:
Im glad if it was  helping you Dough. I rode in Doughs car last year Jay
and it have that New car feel to it no squeks or rattles 8)

afret:
Line lock looks great.  It should help you with getting your tires to hook.

If you have some spare time after getting your hitch and trailer done,  you might consider getting cold air to your carbs at the track if your hood scoop if functional .  It helped my street car about .2-.3 sec in the quarter sealing the hood scoop to the carb. but it seems some others didn't see much difference with underhood air. 

Might be worth a try though for track use if you have a spare dual quad air cleaner base laying around.  I think Moroso makes a foam seal for this that you can glue on the air cleaner base but with a regular base, I don't think you'd have room for the air filter so it would be for racing only. This guy is selling a cold air base for use with an air filter but not sure if it's for a Mustang:

https://fastlaneinnovations.com/product/ramduct-2x4bbl/

cjshaker:
I've been thinking about that, Earl. My hood scoop is the stock Mach 1 hood scoop and the hood is not cut out underneath, so it's not functional. I do have a reproduction dual quad air filter setup like is on the car now (except the one on the car is original), and I've thought about trying to rig something up that will catch clean air, but I haven't gotten past the thought stage yet. I don't really want to go cutting on the car too much though. I have another car that I'm working on that will be subjected to the knife :)

The cold air definitely makes a big difference on my car. The difference on a cool fall day is pretty drastic, but it still runs ok without any issues even with the hot air under the hood. Took me a little tuning to get it that way though, and I have to mix my gas so it doesn't try to diesel on shut-off on hot days. It doesn't do it except on hot days, and letting the clutch out a bit while shutting it off stops it. I think I'll be carrying an extra 5 gallons of race fuel to mix on fill ups between tracks just to stay on the safe side.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version