Author Topic: 390 block question  (Read 9891 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: 390 block question
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 05:27:46 AM »
The 4.375 sounds cool - but the 4.250 is way easier to do, and costs a lot less.  Probably get by perfectly well with I beam rods, the cast 4.250 crank, and "off the shelf" flat top pistons.  Take the hundreds of dollars you save and put it into the heads.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
With Barry on this one. Any gains you can make with the heads, intake, and timing is going to net you your best reward.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »
You've had 3 of the top FE builders around give you their opinions.
I would take their suggestions to heart and put your money in the heads/intake and have one
of them spec a cam for you after they are done.
Takes lot of $$$ to make big HP.
Good luck with your build.
garyv

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
With a 4.375 stroke and a solid roller cam with about a .378 lobe I could barely fit a .025 feeler gauge between the hip of the con rod and the lobe. (#7 exhaust lobe I think) Rods were 6.7 Scat I-beams. I didn't grind on anything but its a damn tight fitting combo. 
Kevin McCullah

edgarval

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »
Will the blue thunder heads fit on a 4.80 bore and be okay out of the box until I get them ported what cam do you guys recommend . Will I be in the 500 hp? I had the streetmaster intake . What intake do you guys recommend . I want to go efi I don't have any luck with carburetors.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 11:53:42 PM »
Time for a reality check... You didn't answer my previous question regarding exactly what you want to accomplish. Rory McNeil had a relatively stock 428 in his Fairmont (Foxbody) that made just over 500 HP and the car ran 10.0's. It's a fairly well sorted out Combo so no one should expect the same right away. My 390 has an estimated HP of about 550 and has gone 10.23 on a new setup. Difference is... my engine has more done to it and cost a lot more to build. Making 600-700 is going to be expensive and I don't get the impression you can go there. Do you have Blue Thunder heads or is that on your wish list.  My suggestion would be get some CNC heads from Barry, Brent or Blair who are all trying to help you here.

Next thing is your car.. Is it capable of handling 500+ HP.  Its really tough for anyone to give you accurate advice if the goal posts keep moving. 

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 08:09:46 AM »
A head option is the BBM heads.
Work great and reasonable cost and are on the shelf ready to go.
What type of transmission will you be using?
As Dale has said it will take some time to get 500 HP sorted out.
I don't make near that and it's always a show when the thing gets wound up. lol

http://bearblockmotors.com/bbm-ford-fe-cylinder-heads/

edgarval

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »
Thank you all. I want to run the gm t400 I think they sell the adapter somewhere. I don't have the service block with the extra webbing is that the block I will need or my pickup block be okay for more power down the road . I have the flowtech long tube headers will they work inside the 1993 Ford Mustang or I need to get different ones for installing the fe.what oil pan do I need to get to clear the k member . I need to buy a tubular k member but I don't know which one

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 12:57:07 PM »
I want to say this VERY kindly. When learning to swim, it's probably best not to jump off a cruise ship out of sight of land.

When you have your budget together, please establish a dialog with one of the professional builders here and take their advice. Pay for their help by buying your parts from them. Do as much as you can for yourself and don't be afraid to take suggestions. You have the best chance to be satisfied by following this path. And be assured that we'll be happy to chime in as is appropriate.

Good Luck!

KS

edgarval

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
Thank you . I'm very glad Barry sells variety of blocks for the journey.

edgarval

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
what cam/ valve train combo should i go with for the 445 stroker. i would like it to rev quickly. harpland? solid roller? goal is to get close to 600 on a non service block.

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »
I am going to drag race a 410 FE in a 79 foxbody Mustang. I bought AJE K member with adjustable lower A-arm and a flaming river manual rack. For headers I am using headers that fit big block Mustangs from 68 to 70 on the left side just have to turn one pipe over to miss the body. On the other side I bought some headers that were custom built for a fox body with an FE. The right one fits perfect with a little body modifying. For the pan I am using a rear sump from a 76 F-250 high boy that had 390 in it. Just have to modify the pan to miss the rack. Hope this helps. Clint

TomP

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 03:28:02 PM »
A Turbo 400 would probably require cutting the tunnel out. A C4 would be a much easier fit and lighter if you really need an automatic.

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 06:28:04 PM »
I'm running a C6 and fits just fine. Clint

edgarval

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »
Can someone give me a lead on what hydraulic can with factory rockers I can use to get the most out of a 445 . I would like to buy them from barry but would like to know someone's combo so I don't run into piston to valve clearance with flat tops.