Poll

If the parts described in the message below became available, which would you consider purchasing?

Standard aluminum 427 block
30 (27.8%)
Raised cam / spread bore block
4 (3.7%)
New FE heads / intake setup for standard FE block
21 (19.4%)
New FE heads and intake setup for raised cam / spread bore block
2 (1.9%)
More than one of the above
51 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: New FE Block, Heads, and Intakes on the horizon...  (Read 76051 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
New FE Block, Heads, and Intakes on the horizon...
« on: May 22, 2016, 01:16:45 PM »
The purpose of this post is to gauge interest in these parts.  No commitment to production has been
made yet, but the designs of the parts are mostly complete, and they could be brought to production
status within a year.  If you may be interested in any of these parts, please respond to the poll at
the top of the post, or if you are not a forum member, email me at jayb@fepower.net.  No commitment
is required at this point, of course, we are just trying to get a feel for interest from the FE
community.

Let's talk about the block first.  I have recently been discussing this with the block manufacturer.
I'm excited about some special features of this block that have not been previously available to us
FE folks.  I'm also interested because I have been surprised by the recent price increases of
aluminum FE blocks.  Having some experience through my intake adapter projects with foundry and
machining costs, I don't see a good reason for these price increases.  Yet a Shelby block is now all
the way up to $7250, and a Pond aluminum block is $5700.  Not sure what the price on a BBM aluminum
block is, but I think at least $4500 (anybody know)?

The block manufacturer is trying to get an aluminum block to market for a selling price of
$4000.  This is less expensive than any aluminum FE block has ever been, as far as I know.  This would be
for a standard 427 style block with replaceable sleeves, sideoiler oiling system, standard bore spacing,
with bores up to 4.35".  Steel crossbolted main caps and main studs would be included.  This would
basically be the same as some of the aluminum blocks that are already out there, but at a more reasonable
price.

Now here's what gets my juices flowing on this.  For an additional cost of about $1000, the block would also
be available with a raised cam and spread bore spacing, to allow big cubic inches.  The cam would be
raised to eliminate the interference between the rod shoulders and the cam lobes, and would allow strokes
up to 4.750", assuming a 2.200" rod journal diameter like the existing stroker cranks out there, and an
aftermarket connecting rod.  Special requirements for the raised cam version would be the use of a
429/460 timing chain with the standard FE timing gears, A specially machined version of my FE timing cover
with the removable front plate (for clearance to the raised top cam gear), and also a custom distributor
gear and spacer, to raise the distributor gear on the shaft, and provide a spacer between the bottom of the
raised gear and the ledge in the block.  Stock FE distributors (minus the stock gear), oil pumps and oil
pump driveshafts would be retained.

The spread bore version would allow bore spacing up to 4.800", and bores up to 4.600".  I have a little
experience with this kind of thing already, because I spread the bore spacing on the Shelby block
in my big SOHC to 4.700" and use a 4.500" bore.  I also was able to fit a 4.600" stroke in the SOHC,
because there are no cam lobes to get in the way of the rod shoulders.  This resulted in 585 cubic inches.

With this block, using a 4.750" stroke and 4.600" bore, cubic inches would be 632!  These dimensions are
the same as the very popular 632" big block Chevrolet.  How does a 632" engine in your 390 Mustang or
Torino sound?

Special requirements for the spread bore version would be special head gaskets for whatever bore spacing was
used (which either I or the block manufacturer would make available, probably SCE or Cometic), custom pistons,
and in some cases custom cylinder heads.  Any cylinder head with factory dimensions would work on bore spacings
up to 4.700" with a 4.500" bore, using special pistons (like what I did with my big SOHC), but going past those
dimensions would require special heads.

A tall deck version of the block is also being considered, but may be less attractive for a variety of reasons,
including tooling cost for that version. Since a 4.75" stroke and a 6.625" rod will fit with the stock FE deck
height, it doesn't seem like a tall deck offers a lot of advantages.  And it does make for a lot of complications
(special sleeves, special intake, special distributor, heavier rod, etc). However, since this is an aluminum
block with sleeves, a simple spacer on top of the block deck, coupled with longer sleeves, could be used to
increase the deck height.  Matching  spacers would have to be used between the heads and the intake and on the
end rails of the block.

The heads and intake are my part of this project.  I have been thinking about this for a long time, because
the basic FE cylinder head architecture is outdated, and is the major limiting factor in producing big
horsepower levels.  But because of the complexity of the FE intake, where pushrods, water jacket,
distributor and valve cover rail all go through the intake manifold, it is difficult to change the basic
design, so we have been stuck up to now with the basic FE architecture.

When I designed my intake adapters, I did both the medium riser and high riser/tunnel port versions.  The
high riser/tunnel port versions were designed as more or less a blank canvas, so that I could put the valve
cover rail and ports anywhere I wanted, to satisfy the requirements for both high risers and tunnel ports,
and any custom cylinder head that may come along (for example, an Edelbrock Pro-Port head).

My cylinder head design will work with a special version of the high riser/tunnel port intake adapter.  I
don't want to say a whole lot about the heads yet, except that they will feature inline valves like a
standard FE, repositioned and radically raised intake ports, and an option for radically raised exhaust ports
(with standard exhaust port locations available for shock tower cars).  They will require longer than stock
valves, custom pushrods, and a special intake rocker, but will retain the stock exhaust rockers and stock rocker
shafts.  The rocker stands will be incorporated into the cylinder heads for rigidity.  Stock FE valve covers
will be retained. All ports will be CNC ported, with different size valves and ports available to match the
application, from a 390 inch engine all the way up to a big cube engine.  I am shooting for maximum flow numbers
in the 475-500 cfm range, using the biggest valves and ports that I am planning.  But even set up with the
smaller ports and valves, the ratio of flow to port cross sectional area will be significantly better than a
stock FE port, because the radically redesigned intake port will be much more efficient than a stock-architecture
FE port.

Finally, the casting will be done so that I can machine the heads for different bore spacings, to match up with
the different bore spacings available from the block described previously.

The intake adapter will be machined to fit the pushrod and port requirements of these heads.  I am working on
four potential intakes that will fit on the intake adapter used with these heads, as follows:

- Individual runner crossram style intake, EFI only, fits under stock hood
- Plenum style intake with a front facing throttle body, EFI only, fits under stock hood
- Single 4 in either 4150 or 4500 style, two piece and split down the middle for easy porting, carb or EFI, will
not fit under stock hood
- 2X4 sheet metal style intake, fully machined (not cast), carb or EFI, will not fit under stock hood.

One thing to note here is that, so far at least, I don't have a carbed version that will fit under the stock hood.
The intake ports are raised so much that the additional height of the carburetor on top of the intake makes
for a package that is difficult to fit.  I may be able to come up with a design for this at some point, but it
would probably compromise performance somewhat.  The EFI versions get around the hood clearance issue; no carb.

I'm shooting for pricing of about $2000 for a pair of the bare heads, plus about $500 for the longer, hollow-stem
valves and $400 for the intake rockers.  This is with no valve job or hand porting done.  I sell the intake
adapters for $689, and I would expect the intake manifolds to range from $500 to $1500, depending on which type.
So the complete package, with heads, valves, intake rockers, intake adapter, and intake manifold would be in the
$4100 - $5100 range.

With these new heads and intakes I think you could build an easy 700 HP 390 stroker, a big cube 900 HP streetable
FE, or an 1100 HP race engine.

On the heads and intakes, I'm about halfway between pipe dream and full production.  I'm getting ready to start
3D printing copies of the head design for flow testing of the port designs, and I may try to CNC a billet version
of the heads, in two pieces that can be bolted or welded together, for some actual dyno testing before I go for
the tooling to get them made.  I don't have the designs for the intakes finished yet, but I'm working on them.

I don't have any control on the block; that is totally up to the block manufacturer, and all I can do
is advise.

Again I must stress that lots of things could come up that would cause me to abandon this project (not the least
of which is the cost), and I'm sure the block manufacturer feels the same way.  But I'm pretty excited
about this and really do want to bring these projects to conclusion.  However, I could really use a little
feedback on how desirable you guys think these things are.  So if you are interested in something like this, or
have any comments, pro or con, please post them here or let me know via email.  Thanks, Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
Re: New FE Block, Heads, and Intakes on the horizon...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
Wow!!!! Soon as I win the lotto!!! 8) very cool Jay!!!
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
it all sounds awesome to me but in my reality the standard block and standard block heads would most likely be what i could work with. i think its all a great idea.
i for sure be on the list for a block, .
cant wait to see where all this goes.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 02:10:38 PM »
I'd like to see an FE Tunnel Ram made again for medium riser and/or Cobra Jet heads.
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »
A set of heads that come with a template to do a final port for either truck/GT headers or CJ/early would be nice.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 02:51:50 PM »
A set of heads that come with a template to do a final port for either truck/GT headers or CJ/early would be nice.

That would be pretty easy, use a universal outlet that would be hand ported to whichever exhaust port you wanted.  I could also offer them either way, as a machining option. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 03:47:35 PM »
   If they can do an aluminum block that much cheaper than the current offerings, is there the possibility of offering a lower priced cast iron 427 block? Perhaps something that is geared towards restorations or replacement versus an all out race piece?

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 05:00:50 PM »
Sounds very interesting!  As far as a carbureted solution that will package under a hood, I wonder if Weber side-drafts can work at those CFM?

As far as a 600-inch FE block, you're going to be running into some scary inertial loads combined with relatively thin load-carrying walls.  At Ford we worked with Porsche Design on the first Duratec V6 engines, which were touted as the most space-efficient designs ever.  Porsche was scared of the design and threatened to sue us if we produced it!  Ultimately a full bottom-end girdle with cast-in nodular caps was needed to keep that bottom end together.  Hopefully the designer (Todd Buttermore?) knows all of this  :-X

You already know how big this project is, so you're half-way home! An FE head that can run with the big dogs may just find a fan base  :) , as long as the block is up to the task.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »
   If they can do an aluminum block that much cheaper than the current offerings, is there the possibility of offering a lower priced cast iron 427 block? Perhaps something that is geared towards restorations or replacement versus an all out race piece?

I haven't discussed that with the manufacturer, but I think they may do aluminum only.  Both the foundries that I work with on my intake adapters do aluminum only; cast iron is a whole different animal.
Jay Brown

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 05:40:58 PM »
A big cube FE block would definitely get my interest, as would a head/intake package that could flow 450+cfm. I'll keep watching this space for sure.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »
Sounds very interesting!  As far as a carbureted solution that will package under a hood, I wonder if Weber side-drafts can work at those CFM?

As far as a 600-inch FE block, you're going to be running into some scary inertial loads combined with relatively thin load-carrying walls. 

Bill, I think the Webers might fit, but the intake configuration would have to be specific to those carbs, and they are so expensive that I don't think it would be worth it to tool an intake just for them; my sense is that I wouldn't be able to sell enough of that manifold to justify the tooling cost.  A similar EFI setup would be a lot cheaper and would be more attractive as a result, I think.

On the inertial loading, I think I've already been there with my big SOHC.  The pistons in that engine are heavy, the stroke is 4.6", and the sleeves are 0.090" thick.  Plus I'm spinning that engine to over 7500 RPM.  I'm sure its not super rigid at those kinds of engine speeds, but it lives, and makes pretty good power...
Jay Brown

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
My interest lies in two aspects.
Cubes for a future race engine and a nice light ish weight fuel injected deal for my mustang that has a bit of engine room appeal.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
As far as the blocks go, the price and availability are going to drive everything.  Robert had QC problems with the previous foundry.  He is working with another one as we speak.  Shelby was out of stock for a long time and BBM is out of stock.  Pricing has gone up on each block that's currently available and from what I've seen in the past with developing the new aftermarket Cleveland blocks, the "projected price" is always much lower than what they finally come out to be.   

Speaking of Tod Buttermore, he contacted me last week, talking about a new block project.  I expressed those same sentiments to him. 

Concerning the raised cam tunnel/larger bore spacing, you start to get away from the stock appearance of an FE and I don't know how many guys would go for that.  I would think that scenario would be a low volume seller.   

I say go for it all, but it's not my money on the line....hahaha

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 06:22:20 PM »
Brent, thanks for your thoughts on this.  For sure a big cube block and heads to match would not be of as much interest as the standard stuff, but that's to be expected in any endeavor like this; as you go higher in performance, your market segment shrinks.  I'm hoping there are enough hard core FE bracket and street fans to justify some quantity of these parts.

As far as appearance goes, the appeal to me is that even if you went really big cube, you would still look a lot like a standard FE, with the same overall outside dimensions, same valve covers, same water pump, distributor, etc. etc.  The big difference in appearance, externally, would be the intake manifold, or intake and exhaust in the case of the raised exhaust port version.  I'm not sure how much that would bother people; after all there are a lot of different appearing intakes for FEs as it is.  I guess if I end up in production with this stuff we will see...
Jay Brown

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »
On the raised cam tunnel version, would the rotating kit be all custom- read high dollar- or would there be a more cost effective option? I'd love to have a 632 but if the rotating kit is 6000$ plus  it might be hard to justify the added cost.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac