Author Topic: Ford FE Turbo Manifolds From Burton Machine  (Read 12264 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Ford FE Turbo Manifolds From Burton Machine
« on: May 15, 2016, 12:36:53 PM »
Just stumbled across the ad on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-FE-Twin-Turbo-Manifolds-/282020411102?hash=item41a9b9f6de:g:pXUAAOSwaG9XInOq&vxp=mtr

Guess they're in full-on production now :D
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

FElony

Re: Ford FE Turbo Manifolds From Burton Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
Just stumbled across the ad on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-FE-Twin-Turbo-Manifolds-/282020411102?hash=item41a9b9f6de:g:pXUAAOSwaG9XInOq&vxp=mtr

Guess they're in full-on production now :D

"This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 30 business days."

Not thinking that really qualifies as full-on production. I think they have a mold and they'll just build to order. I question whether that flat design is much better than just turning around some regular car/truck manifolds. That way at least you can position the turbos where you want, and have a better shot at clearing shock towers.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »
I doubt those FE Turbo exhaust manifolds are "molded" or cast with all the weld seams on them. Looking at their Buick turbo kits there's a lot of obviously tubular piping leaving no doubt the Buicks are fabricated.

Would they be shooting themselves in the foot offering only the two bolt exhaust FE head flanges as far as sealing and applications?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »
Guys, this fella is a member here.  Why not ask him?

In the past we spoke and his thought regarding the manifold looking setup is based on this producing mild boost.

FElony

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »

In the past we spoke and his thought regarding the manifold looking setup is based on this producing mild boost.

He has been asked via this thread.

What is "mild"? Video? Chassis dyno? Suggested cam(s)? This is a topic I wish we would spend more time exploring. Think of all those thousands of low-compression 360's out there begging for a turbo. We can make EcoBoost 6.0's!!

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »
Cool, so do it.

FElony

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:54:04 PM by FElony »

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:55:54 PM »
Sorry if I opened another can of worms……… :-[
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

FElony

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:54:40 PM by FElony »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »
Nonsense. The problem is most people here do not want to stray from the status quo, or talk about things that have not been talked about to the point of tears.

That isn't the problem for me..... I have zero desire to put a twin turbo'd 360 in my Galaxie for restoration reasons.
When I get around to restoring my 76 F100 I very well may decide a 390 built to utilize turbo's is totally be something I want to do.  I'm sure many other people have the same viewpoint regarding an engine that "appears" original.  This is no doubt why the stroker kits are such a popular route to take.  The engine i just built for my Galaxie totally looks the part.

Some people talk, some people do.  :-)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »

He has been asked via this thread.

What is "mild"? Video? Chassis dyno? Suggested cam(s)? This is a topic I wish we would spend more time exploring. Think of all those thousands of low-compression 360's out there begging for a turbo. We can make EcoBoost 6.0's!!

That would actually be pretty cool, putting a couple of small turbos on a 360 and delivering 7-8 pounds or so of boost.  And using those exhaust manifolds would make it easy, a lot easier than building headers that were sturdy enough to mount a 20 pound turbo.  It would be great in a truck, or a Galaxie for that matter. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

FElony

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:15:31 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:55:10 PM by FElony »

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »

As Drew said, some people just talk. That's me, because I cannot stay focused on one vehicle long enough.

I think that can happen to all of us in one form or another usually due to time and financial responsibility. With that said I have pieced together a 360 from junk parts with twin turbos being the end result, custom mild regrind from Oregon Cam's with boost and LPG in mind is about the extent of the coolness tho. Currently sitting in the vehicle with a set of FT manifolds welded up and flipped upside down they should work well.

But time and money have me on hold at the moment but IT WILL HAPPEN! I just don't have an exact date, hopefully this summer. I already have to much time in it to let it die especially for something in my mind so cool.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 01:41:27 PM »
Carb issues aside, I do ponder one issue with using a "junkyard 360"
The 360 has a piston way down in the hole, wouldn't raising compression artificially with forced induction make the engine super prone to detonation?

I was thinking more that you'd want a piston zero decked with a deep dish and heads carved to match.
Of course I'm ignorant regarding turbo gasoline engines..... I deal with turbos and superchargers all the time but in diesels we don't really have detonation as an issue :P

I hear ya Felony on the project front.... I want this car and that car, etc.... it is a force of will for me to have two vehicles, but the obvious trade off is that the two vehicles are very nice due to me funneling all of my income to improving them.
However I can't imagine trying to turbo a shock tower car, I love my Galaxie and Truck and would hate to trade the engine bay room (tho a 64 Comet would look pretty fantastic)

FElony

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:55:41 PM by FElony »