Author Topic: Roller rockers for street that fit PBF covers.  (Read 7522 times)

mungus

• View Profile
Roller rockers for street that fit PBF covers.
« on: April 19, 2016, 04:24:34 AM »
Hi All,

I've been searching around but get different stories...I did a forum serach here too but couldn't get the answers I was looking for.
I want a set of decent quality roller rockers for street use, (COMP HYD roller cam, XR270 grind, CJ valves) for my 390 Mustang GT. (soon to be stroked to 431).

My OEM rockers need new shafts plus end stands so hardly worth the $$ to fix them up.
I've looked at Shelby's, HS, Dove, and POP. HS is the cheapest from Summit ($800), then POP & Dover at around $880, on upwards from there.
When I email the makers only some have replied.

So whats the story? What will fit under my OEM PBF chromed valve covers?
I don't mind a little fettling of the baffles but not major surgery.
I was all set to buy HS as they look well made and are the cheapest decent brand, until someone said they foul the covers.
Then I thought POP as I've dealt with Doug before for pumps etc. Plus I like that he provides a set with the slightly offset rockers to help centre the rollers. Nice. I also read elsewhere that his don't foul the PBF covers.

Another guy said none of the "street" rollers foul  the PBF covers, just their stud mount kits hit the baffles, OEM bolts are no problem.

So what's the truth?

Any recommendations, based on experience please...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:02:52 AM by mungus »
68' Mustang S code GT Fastback. Motor in progress...

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: Roller rockers for street that fit PBF covers.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 05:21:40 AM »
I`m not sure any roller rocker will fit under baffled covers. you can get cover spacers that would help. I`ve seen these that are 1/4 and 1/2 inch tall. other wise you will have to trim the baffle to make rollers fit. If I remember rollers in a PBF cover will interfere if not rised

mungus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 05:51:37 AM »
I`m not sure any roller rocker will fit under baffled covers. you can get cover spacers that would help. I`ve seen these that are 1/4 and 1/2 inch tall. other wise you will have to trim the baffle to make rollers fit. If I remember rollers in a PBF cover will interfere if not rised

Well if that's the case, which set fouls them the least? Happy to grind off a bit of the baffles but I'd prefer to keep most of them if I can.
Experiences anyone? Barry? Jay?

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:42:41 AM »
I have Harland Sharps under PBF covers with no issues.
Jim

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:43:20 AM »
I can tell you the PRW stainless rocker set (Shelby copy) fits under stock valve covers when useing shaft bolts instead of studs. Buddy of mine have been running those for a while in his 360 powered truck.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:44:02 AM »
Hers the Shelby one's, they look nice and would easy fit inside a stock cover. I'm guessing there USA made.
http://www.shelbyengines.com/products/shelby-fe-rocker-arms 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:51:42 AM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

mungus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:21:20 AM »
Thanks guys, all useful replies.
Maybe HS is the way, as I cant get Doug to reply to emails (was like that for oil pumps I bought, had to chase him on the phone).

How about those PRW things then? Aren't they Chinese?  I've seen a basic comparison done between one of their water pumps (Edelbrock knock off) and the genuine Edel. PRW wasn't a match in flow rates but looked OK. I've likewise seen some shocking failures of Chinese made engineering products over the years. Not that they can't make (or should I say copy) good stuff when they want to.

The other side is do I really want to give my $ to a bunch of thieving / cheating / lying so and so's?
Regardless of the performance that's reason enough NOT to buy them in my books.

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 08:55:25 AM »
Ken at Oregon Camshaft sells a rocker system, but I don't know anyone who has used it.  Might give him a call and see what he says.  http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/428-FE.html
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

mungus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 09:12:08 AM »
Interesting FE web page they have, I'll drop them a line and see what they have, how much etc.

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:16:07 AM »
Interesting FE web page they have, I'll drop them a line and see what they have, how much etc.
I got my cam and lifters from them, and I'm very happy with the products, and also the customer support when I had questions.
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

mungus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »
Well I got a reply from Ken at Oregon, and he says they can't supply complete roller rocker kits now. Just end stands and spacers to fit the OEM rockers. So that option is out. Bummer, I kinda liked the look of their setup.

I actually have a set of NOS Crane ductile (non-roller) rockers that came with my car, that I could use to complete that, but really its the roller set up I want. I like the idea of some kind of steel (stainless or an alloy) over alloy as I've heard of the aluminium ones failing. And indeed I don't think of aluminium as being the ideal material for this job.

However in reality my car is a street cruiser that will only make a max of 400 hp & 500 Ft/lbs and probably wont ever rev beyond 6K, (in fact I doubt it will ever get much past 5K!) so the quality brands of aluminium roller rockers with be OK I think. 

So I think my short list is back to POP or HS. If only Doug would answer my emails - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:05:47 PM by mungus »

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
I used Comp Cams roller rockers with FPP end supports and they cleared the Power By Ford valve covers with the baffles JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »
if its just a street cruiser. I wouldn't hesitate putting the factory stamped steel rockers on.   just make sure you have the good end support stands.   I run them in my 12:1 428 at the track and shift at 6800 and have had zero problems with factory rockers.

mungus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 12:37:55 AM »
if its just a street cruiser. I wouldn't hesitate putting the factory stamped steel rockers on.   just make sure you have the good end support stands.   I run them in my 12:1 428 at the track and shift at 6800 and have had zero problems with factory rockers.

Yes I can well understand that view, however as I would be paying for a pair of new shafts and a set of end posts, I'm already half way to paying for a complete set of decent roller rockers. As I'm fitting a COMP hydraulic roller cam kit it seems a bit of silly to not carry on the theme of reducing friction / increasing efficiency by fitting a set of non rollers back in, just to save say $3-400 on a complete rebuild.

To be fair some are probably unaware of what has been invested or planned for this build and that sets the scene for what is worth doing etc.
So to be fair;

- BT "PI" 4V intake manifold,
- FPA headers,
- Petronix ignition,
- 730 CFM CJ carb,
- Edelbrock alloy water pump,
- 431 CID Eagle stroker kit,
- Mild stock heads, CJ valves etc
- COMP cams (Mild XR270) HYD roller kit,
- Fully balanced,
- Dressed as a stock 68' Mustang GT (with a 67' GT air cleaner)
etc.

So as you can imagine, a few hundred on a set of decent roller rockers wasn't a big deal

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
I understand what your saying.  sounds like a nice car/   good luck.

RM69

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
Hi All,

I've been searching around but get different stories...I did a forum serach here too but couldn't get the answers I was looking for.
I want a set of decent quality roller rockers for street use, (COMP HYD roller cam, XR270 grind, CJ valves) for my 390 Mustang GT. (soon to be stroked to 431).

My OEM rockers need new shafts plus end stands so hardly worth the $$ to fix them up.
I've looked at Shelby's, HS, Dove, and POP. HS is the cheapest from Summit ($800), then POP & Dover at around $880, on upwards from there.
When I email the makers only some have replied.

So whats the story? What will fit under my OEM PBF chromed valve covers?
I don't mind a little fettling of the baffles but not major surgery.
I was all set to buy HS as they look well made and are the cheapest decent brand, until someone said they foul the covers.
Then I thought POP as I've dealt with Doug before for pumps etc. Plus I like that he provides a set with the slightly offset rockers to help centre the rollers. Nice. I also read elsewhere that his don't foul the PBF covers.

Another guy said none of the "street" rollers foul  the PBF covers, just their stud mount kits hit the baffles, OEM bolts are no problem.

So what's the truth?

Any recommendations, based on experience please...

Did you ever find a set of roller rockers that work with the Power By Ford valve covers? I'm looking to do the same thing myself.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
I have had both T&D street and Harland Sharp kits under PBF covers.  You never really know if they clear until you try them.  I think its because the baffles are odd shaped stampings just kinda spot welded into place a bit willy-nilly.  I have had one side clear and the other side hit on the same engine.  Usually pretty easy to tweak/bend/hit/dent/carve the baffle to get them to fit.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 10:08:48 PM »
My dad just recently used PBF valve covers with Harland Sharp adjustable rockers on his hot rod 390.  He had to peel the baffles out to get them to clear.
Kevin McCullah