Author Topic: Moroso T pan  (Read 10684 times)

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Moroso T pan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »
The T is pretty much the same depth as a stock pan just a lot wider.
Even the big Hookers will clear the T in a Mustang.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »
Then you would think the stock pick up would work or be fine ? what you think Howie
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
The screen in the stock pickup is quite fine and the screen holes in the after market is actually quite large.
It also has a bigger tube I think, although I would have to out to the shed to measure.
I will go out latter today and take a pic of a stock and a after market short pick up.
I know they are out there in the junk pile somewhere.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »
I also had to reroute my power steering lines IIRC.
And it didn't clear the cross over tube underneath, had to space that down a bit.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 03:52:43 PM »
Thanks Howie , look forward to the info
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
Thanks rcodecj , i am converting my manual steering to a uni steer power rack set up , have not ordered a t pan yet so i will have to do some research for sure ..

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »
Personally I believe the most important thing a properly working Windage Tray will do is greatly reduce aeration of the oil.  Think of how aeration in a hydraulic system can screw things up - because you're using a compressible mixture of hyd oil and air vs straight hyd oil. Think of the fractions of a thousandth of an inch oil film (film strength)  that's supporting the bearing surfaces of your bearings and shafts and then think IF those films were all essentially made of shaving cream.
        A properly working tray slices away a concentrated film of oil & air from the hurricane force winds in the crankcase and sends it down into the basement/sump of pan. Under the tray you want it as calm as possible for the foamed up oil mixture to settle/separate before the oil's picked up by the pump. (the whole idea behind a dry-sump). Good oils have anti-foaming agents, but still the last thing you want is a large woven wire mesh or perforated screen (think hundreds of child's bubble wands) trying to separate the air under the tray from that twister in the crankcase. Remember Jon Kaase's finger in the tunnel ram? - how about eight pistons in that crankcase?
        Just as they have crank scraper's that fit closely to the crank to shear away the cloud of oil clinging to the crank you want essentially cheese-grater blades to grab the oil and not the hurricane. If you channel a ton of wind down under the windage tray it's coming back up.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 04:14:45 PM »
Here is a MIT study performed by "Bridget" (obviously a serious car girl) on that exact question.
Which is better a screen or a flat tray.
Turns out neither.
Carry more oil.

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/38713/166145859-MIT.pdf?sequence=2

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 07:26:45 PM »
Here is a short after market pick up.
This is a Canton.
I opened a couple of boxes and this was what I found, I gave up after that. ::)
I used this in a stock type pan on a 390 I ran for a while.
I can say though that a stock type pick up is not as heavy duty this.

As for the windage tray. I have used the Ford tray for ever.
It does not make you faster or stop aeration but I like them and it makes me feel good. ::)
Pretty much every engine you buy today has a windage tray. It must do something. :P

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »
See what famed builder David Reher of R-M has to say (it's about 1/2 way down, go solid tray!)

http://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-5-rehers-rules-how-to-keep-your-engine-alive/
Bob Maag

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »
Well there you go.
Just get enough goo on the gaskets.
These are the best oil pan gaskets.
And use studs.
I don't really see oil pan leaks.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »
FWIW the inside depth of the COBRA T-Pan is 6-1/4"

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 12:22:10 PM »
Best I can figure on MIT  "Bridget"'s study is somebody needs to go back to the drawing board - when there's little difference between no tray and an assortment of trays it indicates those trays are all failures or ding next to nothing.  You'd think a properly designed tray could do better than no tray.
    Interestingly the vacuum dehydration and centrifuge oil conditioners used on turbine oil to remove the water from the oil all utilize extended surface area's to more easily remove the water. I'd bet the higher oil fill simply works better because there is less air entrained deeper in the oil. There's all sorts of studies on "droplets" moving up/down through oil.
           There was a big controversy on the online dynamic measurement of particulates in lube oils caused by aeration that was showing up as particulates by the fancy state of the art particle counters.
          I'd never really thought about a crankcase vacuum pump harming the oil being shoved into the pick-up.. makes sense though!

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »
Thanks for digging those pick ups out Howie , and i have those same gaskets ..

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »
See what famed builder David Reher of R-M has to say (it's about 1/2 way down, go solid tray!)

http://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-5-rehers-rules-how-to-keep-your-engine-alive/
Thanks Bob for the article.
Goes back to our accumulator thread also.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon