Author Topic: Dipstick different oil level readings  (Read 4189 times)

rcodecj

• View Profile
Dipstick different oil level readings
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
The setup is a dipstick from a 68 galaxie 390, dipstick tube is a 69 428cj that mounts to one of the cj exhaust manifold bolts.
Oil pan is a roadrace T pan, Moroso #20608 8 qts without filter, 9 qts with filter,  it does have quite a bit of baffling inside.
What happens is I get a different reading on the dipstick depending on which way the handle is pointed (towards front or rear)
One reading is a couple of inches lower than the other. I figure the highest reading must be correct, since the lower reading must be hanging up on
something in the pan and directing the dipstick sideways or something. The dipstick is fairly straight.
I have checked a few pictures of 428cj dipstick orientation and they were all pointed towards the rear. When mine is towards the rear it reads low.
Am I thinking in the right direction or is there something I'm missing?

Another thing is when I have 8 qts in the pan it reads full, 9 qts overfull,  so is the Galaxie dipstick tube longer or do I need to get a 69 428cj dipstick?

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Dipstick different oil level readings
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »
With a fresh complete fill, simply re-mark the dipstick. You are obviously cross-breeding parts from several sources and the factory marks seem to have lost meaning. A new file scratch and always orienting the handle the same way will put you right back in the game!

KS

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
2x to that!
Bob Maag

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »
Are you using a windage tray?  Original Cobra Jet cars had issues with the dipstick catching the front of the windage tray, then sliding along it instead of going into the oil pan.  I clearance the tray in that area to be sure it doesn't happen.
Jim

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »
I have had that same thing happen, and if the engine is assembled have had some success with putting a little bend at the end of the dipstick to guide it past the windage tray and get a decent reading.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
Are you using a windage tray?  Original Cobra Jet cars had issues with the dipstick catching the front of the windage tray, then sliding along it instead of going into the oil pan.  I clearance the tray in that area to be sure it doesn't happen.
Nope, no windage tray. I guess it must be hitting the baffling in the Moroso pan. I should have checked before I installed it. I also meant to check at what level the crank throws were in relation to the oil level but I forgot that too. Dang I forget a lot. Oh well as long as I put the dipstick in the correct way it reads ok.