Author Topic: Motor plate, strap or solids?  (Read 4380 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Motor plate, strap or solids?
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:53:40 PM »
There is a thread on the other forum that talks about motor plates.
Got me thinking, at what point do you start worrying about using them?
I know there is a pretty fast blue mustang here that doesn't seem to use them.
Obviously you want to limit your engines travel.
I have a set but honestly I'm thinking about cutting them up a bit and just using the front for motion control.
Like to hear what the real world experience is.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Motor plate, strap or solids?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:46:10 PM »
Motor plates are for tube frame cars, in my opinion.  I've always gotten by with stock mounts and a steel strap of some sort to limit engine travel.  Never broke a mount, although I also never use any really old ones...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
Was hoping you'd say that.
Trying to keep from over engineering and just get it on the track.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »
I don't have an answer for your question, but the topic has come up recently with my racing buddy Bradley's '67 Mustang. He has run a couple somewhat "mild" 351W's over the years and has gone mid 11's. But the competition at the track goes quicker every year and low 10 second cars seem like the median in Pro ET now, and many cars running in the low 9's & better. So a couple years ago he decided to step up his game and had our engine guy build him a 714 hp Windsor. He has been getting a lot of conflicting advice at the track, including predictions of "gloom & doom" by some of running this motor in his Mustang. He's looked around some for a "roller" racecar to stick it in, but nothing he has come up with of interest or that he can do a deal on. So back to plan A and into the Mustang it goes. Also a few years ago he did a bunch of work to the car, including bringing it to a recommended chassis shop where a 8.50 cage was installed, rearend braced, etc. so some of the ground work has been set. Later this month we're bringing the car back to the chassis shop for a few more upgrades, one of which may be motor plates. I think he plans to leave it up to the chassis shop on whether to stick with the stock mounts or go to a motor plate. I'll be there when we drop it off so I'll try to remember to report back here on what they say. Unfortunately it will be a while until it comes back and the shop is about a 100 miles away, so I probably won't get pictures until the work is done.

One other consideration for using motor plates instead of stock mounts is to free up more space for headers. Taking those mounts out of there eliminates some compromises.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:06:55 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FordEver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 08:20:10 PM »
I have use an old school torque strap[turn buckel] on my 67 FE Fairlane, stock type chassis. Today i drilled a 3/8" hole through the motor mount and frame adapter to sandwhich the rubber.  Iv,e seen plates from the front off the head or water pump to the unit body frame , nice to free up some room when doing header on/off. I may try that next.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
We've only ever used a torque strap. We put one on everything. We have also drilled the mounts to put a bolt through and "pin" it, so it can't separate.

Here's the one I made for my car. I used a 3/8" solid rod end through the sway bar hole, 3/8" heim joints and some hex stock steel.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:14:01 PM »
Motor plates look cool but really don't add anything. The primary reason highly modified door slammers long ago went the plate route is, as mentioned, to free up header clearance and/or allow one to dump the Saginaw style box for a rack and pinion. Some mighty fast cars out there with modified stock mounts and a nice tube or flat stock limiter.

One often btw adds weight to a plate car as one really needs to add a front/rear limiter bar to prevent the engine from sliding fore or aft on launch or braking. Add up all those parts and they do tend to weight more than OEM stuff. But, if you are having totally custom made headers unemcumbered by the OEM steering box or OEM motor mounts, go the plate route for sure. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:13:38 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 09:42:17 PM »
When you get to hard mounting the engine you start feeling pretty much every piston stroke.
It's fine for a 1 minute of run time to make a pass.
Not so much fun on the highway for 3 or 4 hours.
I use a strap similar to Jared's even then you can feel that the engine is strapped down.
The harder you nail it down the more vibration you are going to feel.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 11:20:01 PM »
Kevin I kinda think that I'm taking your buddy's route. Get it on the track and make it faster/better every year.
One question....... where the hell is he going to fit that oil pan in a mustang????? That thing is huge.
Seems like that's a track scraper from the word go.

Jared, That's about where I'm at. I've been using bolted mounts for years. That and a nice strap/bar seems like it would be fine at first for the 10s.

Howie, it's a track car with occasional street work. All good.

Bob, header clearance is a good thought. I've got a limiter bar also. I think I may just put them away for future use though.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 02:33:14 AM »
Just curious what type of "Doom & Gloom" worries these people have. DalePs 67 Mustang has gone mid 9s, my Fairmont high 9s, my SB 85 Mustang low 10s, and my buddys 64 Comet has gone high 9s, all with solid stock type motor mounts, also all sticks, normally dropping the clutch at 6000+ RPM, with no issues. All also have stock front chassis. On a full tube chassis car, the motor plate would help tie the front frame rails together, not sure how much that would apply with stock sheet metal frame rails and shock towers. I suppose that eliminating the side mounts would free up room for custom made headers, but with the stock chassis and steering box, doubtful most people would elect to spend a bunch of money and time to have custom headers made, when much cheaper "off the shelf" headers are available. Also with a front motor plate, a mid plate should really be employed, which could be a challenge when the stock firewall and frame rails are retained.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH