Author Topic: Rear Main Cap Removal  (Read 4396 times)

Wreckless Warren

• View Profile
Rear Main Cap Removal
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
I attempted to remove the crank from the P-Code block for it's date with the engine builder tomorrow but the rear main cap was beyond my experience/tools.  I am going to have the crank removed by them (it's getting a stroker) but I wanted to know how it's done.  The center cap wasn't budging either. Thanks. ww

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Rear Main Cap Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »
That can be a difficult chore.  I've done it a couple of different ways.  One is to put the bolts in the holes in the cap but don't thread them into the block.  Then on the center cap, you can take a rubber or plastic hammer and tap the bolts towards the center of the block, alternating from one bolt to the next.  Usually the cap will work itself loose after a few taps.  You can do the same thing on the rear cap, except tape the bolts front to back to get the cap loosened up.

Another way is to pry up on the the rear flange of the crank.  Get a piece of 2X4 that goes almost all the way to the rear flange, and stick a pry bar between it and the flange, and then pry the flange up.  The rear main cap will usually give when you do this.

There might be a more elegant way to do this that I don't know about; maybe someone else will chime in.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

DEANs427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:47:33 PM »
I thread 2 longer bolts w/washers into the pan bolt holes in the cap and use 2 small pry bars alternating from each side.
1956 Ford Gasser 427FE
1966 Fairlane
1966 Bronco supercharged

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »
What I use:
If you can't see the picture it is because you are not logged in.
Also if you click on the picture it becomes larger. May be obvious, but I didn't realize it at first.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:30:30 AM by rcodecj »

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »
^  Thats a damn good idea right there.  I did this on Tuesday night, but put some fender washers on the two small 5/16" bolts in the cap, then using a 1x4 chunk and a small prybar carefully pulled it out side by side.  The angle iron idea is even better.  If you drilled a few more holes in the right spot you'd have a dual purpose piston stop as well.   ;D

hotrodfeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
I have just used a big screwdriver in the oil slot and wiggled it back and forth til it came out. But that does look like a sound way of doing it.

Wreckless Warren

• View Profile
Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
Very useful information. ww

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:23:10 AM »
I attempted to remove the crank from the P-Code block for it's date with the engine builder tomorrow but the rear main cap was beyond my experience/tools.  I am going to have the crank removed by them (it's getting a stroker) but I wanted to know how it's done.  The center cap wasn't budging either. Thanks. ww

I just use my slide hammer. I took a extra 1/2" lug nut and insert a 5/16 course bolt into nut by grinding and threading the head of bolt. Thread into hole in cap and its out in a few seconds time.