Author Topic: Suggestions on a few final parts I need...  (Read 3283 times)

Yellow Truck

Suggestions on a few final parts I need...
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:41 AM »
There are a couple of annoying things I want to clean up for my 445 build -
  • First is the water neck and thermostat. My old one is pretty corroded, and the Street Dominator has a hole that measures at 1.8825 inches. When I look on Summit the ones they have either don't specify the size, or specify 2.5 inches. Anyone know what will work?
  • I have a set of Ansen aluminium valve covers with twist-in breather holes. I assume I need a PCV valve and line to the back of the carb from one valve cover, and a filtered breather for the other side (i.e. only one side needs to be connected to the vacuum via the PCV valve). I'd like them to look the same but can't find twist-in ones that match. Open to suggestions. I don't have a much space below the covers to the top of the T&D rockers - had to take off the baffles that came with the lifters.

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions on a few final parts I need...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:33:16 AM »
For your water neck canton racing makes a alum billet piece part #CTR 80-058.
I have used this nice part , just smaller hose size than stock, and pricey.
Remember, RPM is your friend

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »
See pics for how to 'do' a PCV valve or an old school FE road draft tube.....although I'd go for the PCV instead. Btw, it's not shown but I have seen the PCV valve run to a 1" carb spacer and the rear intake manifold opening, usually used for the steel road draft tube, instead fitted with a breather, leaving your valve covers as is. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford+fe+road+draft+tube&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS533US533&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2ucXI4P7JAhXGWCYKHbRuAAcQ_AUIBygB&biw=1097&bih=494#imgrc=_
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
The way Bob showed is one solution, but the Street Dominator doesn't have that rear provision. Another way is to drill a hole in the big flat area on the rear of the Dominator intake and use a typical PCV grommet and valve to draw from the lifter valley area. Even some Shelby's used a system that is similar to that by using the top rear breather hole that is present in many Ford intakes. A grommet like this should work...
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-universal-valve-cover-breather-cap-grommets-1965-1995/p/M6892F/

A low profile Motorcraft valve cover breather is still available fairly cheap from nearly all Ford/Mustang distributors.
https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/cap_oil_filler_and_breather_chrome-105520-1.html

I use these on my Mach 1. I had to remove the baffles also on my CJ covers to clear the Harland Sharp rockers. I don't use a PCV and I don't have a problem with blowing oil out, but I still use a pair of wristbands around the breathers to stop any mist from getting things oily in the engine compartment. Using a PCV would likely make the wristbands unneeded as they would be drawing IN instead of venting out. Willie, from Barrys shop, remarked what a ridiculous no baffle/breather set-up I had when I dropped the engine off. He had to find out what I already knew, sometimes you just cant use baffles with stock covers and roller rockers. This set-up has worked for me for the last 15 years.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:31:25 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Yellow Truck

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:42:51 AM »
So the suggestions is to run a vacuum from the rear of the carb to a PCV valve attached to the rear of the intake and use two simple breathers on the valve covers? Didn't think of that.

That could be doable. I need to do some clearance work on the intake anyway since the pushrods are rubbing in a couple of places, so drilling a hole won't be much more trouble.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:26:30 AM »
So the suggestions is to run a vacuum from the rear of the carb to a PCV valve attached to the rear of the intake and use two simple breathers on the valve covers? Didn't think of that.

That could be doable. I need to do some clearance work on the intake anyway since the pushrods are rubbing in a couple of places, so drilling a hole won't be much more trouble.

Yes, that'll work fine. Now, if you drill the intake to accommodate that grommet and PCV valve, consider adding a simple bent-up piece of aluminum as a sheetmetal baffle pinned to the underside of the intake's bottom. Ford had baffles in the valve covers for a reason: to block splashed oil from directly entering the PCV valve's orifice.   

Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »
So the suggestions is to run a vacuum from the rear of the carb to a PCV valve attached to the rear of the intake and use two simple breathers on the valve covers?

Well, that was MY suggestion ;) It may not be considered an ideal PCV set-up, but it would work. I don't really care for PCVs, but I recognize the need for them if an engine isn't always warmed up to full operating temperature for extended periods of time to burn off moisture inside them. If they are "short tripped" very often, it can lead to sludge build up or a milky residue build up from the water vapor not having time to evaporate. Probably not something you'd have to worry about if you lived in dry climates like Arizona or New Mexico.

And that's good advice from Bob. Some sort of simple baffle, or perhaps just using the ones that you had to remove from the covers, would help stop any oil from being sucked into the PCV. I'd probably Loctite any screws used on them.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe