Author Topic: Offset or low profile distributor?  (Read 14646 times)

TomP

Re: Offset or low profile distributor?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 01:32:03 AM »
I'm not sure why they need that much plenum hanging out ahead of the runners. You could go crank trigger to gain height. I made my own out of a Mallory because I needed the mechanical tach drive but it was just a matter of cutting the bowl off the distributor and modifying the shaft to take the rotor. Gained three inches of room below the front carb bowl. I made my intake clear the big Ford cap, any other cap is even shorter.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 03:30:58 AM »
I already have a crank trigger, so no need for the trigger in the distributor.

Was just playing around with my MSD distributor, seeing how much height could be lost by removing the pick up reluctor and the advance mechanism. I could lower the height of the cap by about 20mm or about 25/32", but then I would need to somehow make the cap lower.

Then I had an idea. If I only need to use the distributor to distribute the spark to the plug wires, maybe I could use an old factory distributor. I already have a crank trigger for the signal, and would just need to lock out the mechanical advance, as well as swap a compatible drive gear on. Plus the factory distributor is shorter than the MSD and the female cap plugs are lower again than the MSD HEI male plugs. I don't have the intake at home at the moment to test fit, so will have to wait until Friday to see if it will work, clearance wise.

Can anyone think of a reason a factory distributor wouldn't work, until I get the offset one I have ordered?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 05:44:23 AM »
Can anyone think of a reason a factory distributor wouldn't work, until I get the offset one I have ordered?

No, it should work. Not trying to be funny but...the engine doesn't care if it's a crank trigger, OEM Ford ditzy or an aftermarket offset ditzy. Given accurate timing of spark delivery, any of the three choices should work fine. 
Bob Maag

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 06:15:12 AM »
My thoughts exactly, especially with locked out timing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 08:17:03 AM »
The factory distributor is probably what Hogan used as a model, so I'll bet that it will fit.

I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that Swartz Racing took your money and has not delivered the distributor you ordered for five months.  I know all about unexpected delays in production ( ::)), and they are often unavoidable, but to first collect payment, and then take that long for delivery without any notification is really a poor business practice. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 07:47:23 PM »
Hey Todd,  the small cap Crane race billet has a smaller footprint than even a stock Ford small cap.   Just looking at the pic, I'd bet it will clear.  Need to converse with you by the way.....will send you an email.
Blair Patrick

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 10:25:40 PM »
Thanks Blair, I will see how I go with the stock Ford distributor.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 04:19:54 AM »
Maybe keep an eye out also for a Mallory twin point. They are pretty small. Intake looks awesome.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »
I've used OEM distributors before on some pretty decent stuff along with crank trigger - they work just fine.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 03:32:19 AM »
The OEM distributor fits fine in the intake manifold, so that is what I will use until I get the offset distributor I ordered. Just need to swap a steel cam gear on and lock out the mechanical advance, then it should be good to go.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »
I also just wanted to point out that I didn't intend this post to be a dig at Swartz. I have been in touch with that vendor and understand fully the reason for any delay in delivering my order.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »
Well, that's good to hear.  It sounded from what you said earlier like they were non-responsive...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Faron

• Dist Recurve Service l TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »
I am Also interested in an offset Dist

ralc

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
Not sure if I should post this here or in the private classifieds, but at this point I more enquiring on the availability.

I recently received the Hogan intake manifold for the race engine I am building, and it became apparent that I will require either a low profile distributor or an offset distributor. Here's my intake manifold:

Even with the recess in the forward plenum, my MSD 8594 distributor will not fit as the rear towers on the cap contact the plenum. I have ordered an offset distributor from Swartz about 5 months ago, but I have not heard anything about it since the end of July. So my question is, is there any other offset or low profile distributors available on the market? I am running a crank trigger and locked out timing, so I don't need any pick up or advance mechanism in the distributor.

I will also place a WTB ad in the classifieds.

ralc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
Nelson Specialties  info@nelsonspecialties.com  has 1 original Autolite offset distributor left. It takes the standard 1965 to 1973 ford cap.