Author Topic: February 12, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012  (Read 17305 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
February 12, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »
After last year's Drag Week debacle, where I only made it through the first track and part way to the second, I decided to hit it really hard this year.  I need to get an FE back in the winner's circle!  I realized that I had three potentially competitive cars in my shop, and last fall I hatched the idea of actually bringing all three to the event.  These cars would be my 69 Mach 1 (which finished first in BB/NA in 2005 and second in BB/PA in 2007), my 64 Galaxie (DNF in 2008, and first place in Modified in 2009), and the 69 Shelby clone that I built last year and ran in Modified.  The big issue, of course, is who was going to drive them, and who could spend a week away from work participating in Drag Week 2012.  I did a brief survey of a few local friends, and got a pretty strong interest from them.  After all, who wouldn't want to drive somebody else's nine second car for a week and race at four different tracks LOL!  So I decided to try to make this happen.

All three cars are finished, but all three cars need engines.  The Mach 1 still has the supercharged engine that I ran in 2007 in it, but if I pulled that out it would be a good candidate for the 530" High Riser I'm putting together.  The Galaxie will get the SOHC that I ran in it in 2008, with the Hilborn injector setup, but with a bump in cam and cubic inches, courtesy of the crank that had been originally destined for the High Riser.  The Shelby clone will get the revamped 585" SOHC, but with the sheet metal intake I built last summer, and repairs to fix the water leak issue.  Currently I am working on all three of these engines at once, and hope to be starting with some dyno work in March.

The big question mark for this plan was the rules.  Last year, Hot Rod changed some of the rules prior to the event, but then changed them back because the original changes came out rather late.  This had a direct effect on my effort, allowing my Shelby clone to compete; it wouldn't have fit in the new rules as they were originally released.  This year, Hot Rod released the new rules right after the end of DW'11, but they were released as preliminary, to allow racer input.  I gave mine, which wasn't all that favorable because my 69 Shelby clone would have been put into a class where power adders were allowed, and of course I'm running naturally aspirated.  The new rules have been percolating at Hot Rod since the end of September, but they were finally released a few days ago.  Here is a link:

http://www.hotrod.com/dragweek/hrdp_1202_hot_rod_2012_drag_week_rules_registration/

Unfortunately, these rules throw a wrench into my plans.  My Galaxie is definitely in no-mans land for classes.  It would fit into Modified, if I got special permission to run it with the Art Morrison front suspension clip, but it has the factory style leaf spring rear suspension, and that is not legal in the new Modified rules.  It would fit in Super Street with the rear suspension, but Super Street prohibits weld-on front suspension clips.  No place to go on this, unless I decided to put ladder bars or a four link into the Galaxie.

My 69 Shelby clone is also on the edge, although I think it might be legal for Modified.  Modified says that the front frame rails have to be stock, and they are on my Shelby clone.  However, Hot Rod may consider the shock towers as part of the front frame rails of the car, and of course they have been cut away so the SOHC fits in the engine compartment.  If that happens to be the case, then I'm out of Modified.  The car also might fit into Pro-Street, but I would have to get special permission for the front suspension, and then also put wider tires on the back of the car.  

At least my Mach 1 will fit into the Street Race BB/NA class with no problem, so there is no doubt that I can take that car.  I'll be in contact with Hot Rod over the next few days to see if I can get a clarification on some of these rules, or a special case rule for the Galaxie.  We will see what happens...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:21:33 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: February 12, 2012 - The Road to Drag Week 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
That's tough one Jay. lol
Hope it all works out for you. and your drivers, who really want it to work out. ;)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »
Jay:
Obviously you have not read much Smokey Yunick or if you did, he certainly did not influence your observations of how to interpret "The Rules".  
IF the rules say:
 Modified says that "the front frame rails have to be stock",

The plan is they are on your Shelby clone.  However, Hot Rod may consider the shock towers as part of the front frame rails of the car, and of course they have been cut away so the SOHC fits in the engine compartment.
           Smokey must be spinning in his grave seeing your interpreting the rules such a way as if aiming a shotgun at your foot.  The argument is "the front frame rails have to be stock." I'd say IF you can find a book/manual/magazine that lists shock-towers as frame rails that's one thing but I doubt you will or anyone else for that matter. Heck MUSTANGs are unibody cars even the fenders bolted on are a structural frame-member. A National Parts Depot Catalog should cease any argument on shock towers as "frame rails"
          That sucks to think a naturally aspirated car would ever have to run against power adder cars esp since power adders are now more powerful then ever. Hope your Hot Rod conversations work out well.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:28:56 PM by Qikbbstang »

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:15 AM »
Its a thin line but I would say your S/C (shelby clone)Mustang would be legal.As already stated the towers maybe considered structural members but they certainly are not frame rails.....Cory
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:38:41 AM »
I think you're good to go in pro street because they allow aftermarket front clip kits that replace the front frame rails forward of the firewall.
You just have components welded to the stock frame rail, certainly necessary for roll cage components.
You haven't modified the frame rails at all, you have welded a lot of tubing to them, but apparently that's ok.
I am wondering if you can fit a larger than 11.25" tire on the back of the Shelby clone.
Also they mention having to have a non stock rear suspension, I thought you were running Cal-Tracs.

PRO STREET CATEGORY
Pro Street is for traditional, back-halved, big-tire cars with a non-stock rear suspension configuration.
BODY
•Must use an all-steel, OE body shell and doors. OE Corvette bodies are allowed.
•Firewall must be in the stock location. Firewall may be smoothed and notched for distributor and valve-cover clearance.
•Must have stock floorpans between the firewall and the forward edge of the wheel tubs.
•Body must maintain the OE profile (no top chopping, and so on). Hoodscoops and deck spoilers are allowed.
•Any composite windows must appear stock and use stock moldings. No window supports visible from outside the car.
•One-piece front clips are prohibited.
INTERIOR
•May not have driver set back past the stock location.
CHASSIS
•Must use stock framerails forward of the firewall, with two exceptions: 1) Aftermarket front-clip kits that replace the stock framerails forward of the firewall are allowed, but they must be commonly available from a recognized manufacturer and must be designed to bolt in place on the stock frame or unibody; and 2) In some cases, fabricated rectangular-tube framerails may be allowed at the race director’s discretion; email detailed photos to DragWeek@HotRod.com for pre-event verification.
•Engine may not be set back past the stock firewall location.
REAR SUSPENSION
•The rear suspension must use a non-stock parallel four-link, ladder bars, a conversion from IRS to solid axle, or other significant departure from the stock suspension concept. Exception: Cars that were originally equipped with leaf springs may retain them if they are moved radically inboard to fit extra-wide, traditional Pro Street–style tires.
TIRES
•Pro Street cars must use tires on the dragstrip that are greater than 11.25 inches wide at the tread, as measured installed and on the ground with a go/no-go gauge. DOT drag radials may not be used.
CLASSES
•There are two classes within Pro Street: Power Adder and Naturally Aspirated.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
My Shelby clone has an S&W race cars back-half kit with a four link setup, and it will fit larger tires if necessary, so if I put the big tires on it that part of the Pro-Street class would be OK.  But I'd rather run in the Modified class if I could, and I think that car will fit in Modified also.

Still no word from Hot Rod about confirmation of the Shelby clone in Modified, or what class the Galaxie would fit in...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
Good news today from DF at Hot Rod about my Shelby clone; it is good to go in the Modified class.  We are still talking about the Galaxie...
Jay Brown

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
Yeah!  :)
Bob Maag

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
I finally got that virus-like thing that Hot Rod calls a website to download the new rules. It seems to me that the only thing keeping the Galaxie out of modified is the caltrac/leaf rear suspension. So how about leaving that in place but add in a useless cal-custom style bolt in ladder bar, set all loose to do nothing but look the part? ???

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
Hmmmm, you are one sneaky trunk monkey  ;D  I would have never thought of that, but on reflection it is not a bad idea.  However, DF is smart enough to figure that one out, I think...
Jay Brown

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »
Hmmmm, you are one sneaky trunk monkey  ;D  I would have never thought of that, but on reflection it is not a bad idea.  However, DF is smart enough to figure that one out, I think...

Figure it : probably

Care: probably not

Jay, your way to stinken' honest to be a heads up racer.  You need to start thinking like a poker player.  ;D

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
HJ is on to something as well. Adding some Lakewood type slapper bars (I'm sure you have some) or chepo ladders bars and fitting them so they don't do anything will likely get you in the show.

Then, only if you win the class would someone (and only maybe as it's a big IF) protest the car's legitimacy.

Hey, think of all the press you'll get with a multi-car series of various class entries, the best part being they are all Fords! Think Blue!
Bob Maag

cdmbill2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »
I have seen leaf suspended ladder bar cars so its hardly an unprecedented approach but it gets you into Mofified to compete with the Shelby Clone.

I'm still of the opinion that allowing bolt on front ends on cars like Nova's is unfair compared to having to keep stock stuff in place as in shock tower Ford's. That said, is any way of reverting the Galaxie front suspensin to a bolt on set up like a Total Control Products coil over and still have head and header clearance if DF doesn't allow the Galaxie in Super Street?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »
No way to convert back, really.  The original frame has been hacked off at the firewall and replaced with the 2X4 square steel tubing that came with the Art Morrison kit.  I've been giving some consideration to going the ladder bar route, but given the modifications to my axle housing making a floater setup work with the leaf springs would be problematic.  Other than that, I could see myself going forward with it; I could take one of those Competition Engineering front ladder bar mounts and make it a bolt on to my frame, and just weld the ladder bar brackets onto the rear axle housing.  That would probably only be a weekend project if I could solve the housing floater problem.

The issue, though, is why?  The car rides great and hooks beautifully with the stock rear suspension setup and Cal-Tracs.  I hate to start changing the car around just so I can run it at Drag Week, when it works really well as is.  The car clearly falls right between the Super Street and Modified Rules, which kind of sucks  >:(
Jay Brown

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
Jay looing at your sig pic, it's hard to argue with that last paragraph!  But with all the time you spend working on stuff, you don't get to too many venue's other than Drag week.  You have a lot of awesome stuff that can leave a serious mark on the Drag Week 2012 scene!

(Not that any of your cars alone wouldn't be impressive, but you know what I mean.)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
So, you think I should convert to ladder bars on the Galaxie?
Jay Brown

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
Obviously, the Galaxie doesn't need them to run strong.

But...

IF you want to bring 3 cars to Drag Week;
IF Hot Rod says "no way" to the Caltracks;

What other choice is there?

Initially, I was thinking leave the caltracks to do the job, and just hang some ladder bars on there to do nothing but look legal. But after putting more thought into it, that may not be possible. No doubt, ladder bars with leaf springs work very well and they are simple to install and adjust. 

I'm OK with whatever you decide. 1 car, 2 cars, 3 cars. But the ol' Galaxie has such a huge fan base, (including me) it would be great to have it out there....

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »
Sounds like BS to me... ???  

Why would they not allow a bolt on traction device... if ladder bars ARE legal??? What advantage would a Caltrac/leaf combo have over a ladder bar/coil over car?

Doesn't  make any sense to me. I could see a problem if it were the other way around...

And what do they have against Lenco's? Seems they are the only trans banned by name, in most classes. I don't see any other trans mentioned. No sponsor money or something "political"? It would seem to be the perfect trans for drag week, a bullet proof street and strip deal for high HP.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:40:43 PM by XR7 »
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 04:45:03 PM »
HJ and XR7....Rules as we know often don't make sense. Still, it's Jay's call if he really wants to enter as many Fords as he can.  He's already stated he wants to. So the question is less intent, the rules, etc. in my book. Agree that the big G already bites well and launches great. That's' not the issue though, is it?

Bob Maag

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
Yes that is true! Sorry, I didn't mean to muddy up the thread...

I suppose it wouldn't be that much work to install floaters and ladder bars to use with the leafs. Make a front cross member that perhaps could be a bolt in. So that if in the future... if you wanted to convert back, everything would be retro-fitable... (is that a word?). Except for the ladder bar brackets that would be welded to the housing, and some brackets to the frame for the front cross member, I think everything else would be pretty much a bolt in and not too terribly expensive.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »

I suppose it wouldn't be that much work to install floaters and ladder bars to use with the leafs. Make a front cross member that perhaps could be a bolt in. So that if in the future... if you wanted to convert back, everything would be retro-fitable... (is that a word?). Except for the ladder bar brackets that would be welded to the housing, and some brackets to the frame for the front cross member, I think everything else would be pretty much a bolt in and not too terribly expensive.

I think that's right, and the only bad thing about this is that the car would then have to compete in Modified, rather than in Super Street which is where it really belongs.  So, I'd have two cars in Modified.  Oh well...

Frankly, it really gripes me that the GM unibody cars with the bolt in front subframes can do whatever they want for the front end, as long as it is a bolt in.  There are no bolt in front subframes for Mustangs, Torinos, or Galaxies; if you want to do the same modifications, you have to weld in the parts.  And that kicks my Galaxie out of the class.  Can't say I'm happy about that  :-[  In any case, though, going the ladder bar and floater mount as you described would be my best option if I was going to try to get the Galaxie in...
Jay Brown

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
XR7...you did not muddy up anything IMHO so no apology necessary!

It's Jay's call though...I do think he'd be wise to change the G to fit the rules and get all the the Fords he wants "into the show" but hey.......it's not my cash or time or effort!

Bob Maag

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
If you could get the wording changed a little bit a few flanges & bolts could make it a bolt on affair. Granted that is not likely to happen...

"Aftermarket front-clip kits that replace the stock framerails forward of the firewall are allowed, but they must be commonly available from a recognized manufacturer and must be designed to bolt in place on the stock frame or unibody."

Mike
Mike