Author Topic: Vehicle Purchase Dilemma..  (Read 4120 times)

R-WEST

• View Profile
Vehicle Purchase Dilemma..
« on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »
I'm looking at (both roughly the same price):

2012 Expedition XLT; 4WD; 21K miles; one owner with maintenance records.

or

2014 Expedition XLT; 2WD (it'll be kept in the south, so 2WD is fine); 35K miles; the dealer purchased it at auction - was a rental vehicle; no maintenance records, but I guess the rental guys do SOME maintenance on them.  That's a lot of miles in 1.5 years, but at least nothing should be dry-rotted or anything from sitting too much!!  It has some factory warranty left, and I can always go for an extended warranty.  I usually go for the newer vehicle, but who knows what the various rental drivers did to it.  :(

It'll see maybe 1,500 or 2,000 miles annually.

I'm in a real quandary here,  :-\ so I figured I'd get some thoughts/opinions.

Thanks!!

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Vehicle Purchase Dilemma..
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »
Personally, I'd go with the '14. The 4wd will just add to issues down the road, and you don't need it. Since it's a more expensive rental, it's likely been driven by somewhat older people and probably not abused. And likely those are highway miles, which is like 1/4 the wear and tear that city miles are. A good close look at the interior is a great indicator of how it was treated. Lastly, that factory warranty and extended option is nice to have on any new vehicle. That's how I'd see it anyway.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 01:52:56 PM »
The major rental companies all follow the factory recommended service guidelines. The larger locations (such as at the airports) usually have their own shops which are given a lot of the same blessings as dealer shops (training, equipment) and are allowed to perform warranty work. I know this because I have a close friend who works at a major rental company shop at a major airport. I wouldn't  worry too much about maintenance. Just check over for obvious signs of abuse and you should be good to go. Once the mileage difference settles out, the '14 will be worth more than the '12; even without 4WD (especially in the South). 

In these times, I wouldn't be reluctant to buy a used rental car based on mechanical issues but I would stay away from any in-house financing they might offer.

Lou

P.S. It's a good idea to run a Carfax (or similar). It may tell you a lot, especially on a former rental car.
Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »
Look over the bottom of the vehicle very closely for accident damage repairs.  It is not often that that kind of vehicle is used as a rental.  I find that many repossessed vehicles end up as rentals, or one that had an accident immediately after being bought new, and was traded for another new vehicle.  I had to use a rental a couple of months ago, and it only had 2400 miles on it, and the front end was a wreck, tires out of balance, and wheel cover was sticking out 2 inches when I stopped to see what was the matter.  The rim was bent big time under the cover.  Personally, I don't like used from a dealer or lot.  JMO, but an owner who has records will have taken care of the vehicle, and that would be my choice over the rental.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »
It's pretty hard to hurt a rental these days (other than a crash). I just lettered 4 2014 chev vans for a customer, all 4 had around 30k & all 4 run & drove perfect.
one thing the rentals don't do is try to hide stuff. they clean them up & that's about it. Dealers are good at hiding stuff like paint work, maintenance & pdr. I bought a 2001 van in 2001 that was a rental & had no problems at all. I'm still running it. I'd go with the 2014
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 06:02:40 PM »
We bought a 2011 Explorer in the same way.
It was a rental with 20,000 miles.
It was $20,000 instead of $35,000 (at the time), so that is what it is.

Issues.... none really.  Vehicles looks and feels brand new.  My daughter and wife like that it sync's tho their electrical bs.  My son and I call it "The marshmallow"  due to it's road handling feel  (or lack of, we are kinda snobbish regarding these things).
That tiny Ecoboost engine is weird for me due to my affinity for big blocks.  Sure it's got power, I'm just not used to revving the engine to 6200 rpms every time I pull onto a highway.

I rent a lot of cars for business.  At every place I've rented a car, it's normally 5-6 times more money to rent a Ford Explorer.  Would I buy a Chevy Cobalt or any of those other cheap subcompacts from a rental place?  f*** no.  but an Explorer?  yeah no problem.  I see the people that rent them.....

So no real issues with buying it.....  I bought it because my wife likes doodads in a car.  My personal point of view for you?  take that $20,000 and sink it into your 76 F100..... live a long happy life.

:P

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
I would probably also lean towards the '14. I am not a big fan of 4 wheel drive either. Also, it is a good thing to have the warranty and extended service plan as cjshaker said. I worked in a Ford dealer and we serviced some cars for Enterprise. I don't think I ever saw one with more than 30-35k miles. They needed very little maintenance due to mileage. I bought my 03 Crown Vic through the dealership, but was transferred from another dealer that had it. It was a rental car for the first 7 months of its life and then an older guy bought it. He had practically every receipt for anything done on it and kept a log book. Always garaged and I don't believe anyone has ever sat in the backseat. He kept it spotless inside and out. Looked at it underneath on the hoist and spotless as well. Exhaust was super clean inside also, bare pipe (no soot or anything). All fluids seemed fine as well. No leaks, worn parts, noises, etc. I would do the obvious and check it over from top to bottom. The interior is a good sign of how it was taken care of. Not sure why so many people feel the need for 4 wheel drive in the winter. I have had two cars now both with rear wheel drive, no problems. Even this last winter I had a mini-spool in the Vic with two bald tires. What a good idea. ::) Still got through just fine and my last car was an open. I just took the mini-spool out, not to friendly for everyday. ::) Sure get looks pulling into parking lots and such. Not great on tires either. Anyway, I would probably look into the newer one if the prices weren't terribly far apart.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »
I bought a 2014 Expedition 2WD with the 5.4L V8 and have had zero problems since new.  It has 12k in it now.  I bought it for towing; it has the trailer brake controller, anti-sway, and tow/haul mode in the trans. 

I'd go for the newer model year vehicle, especially since you don't need 4WD.  Agree with Joe for giving it a good inspection first. 

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
Which ever you buy, give them a good look too and bottom.
Not all incidents get reported for the Carfax report. We bought a 2002 BMW convertible cause that's what the wife wanted. It was just under 10 years old at the time. There was an exterior trim piece that was loose on the passenger side and the owners said it was that way when they bought it!  ::)

Fast forward several years and the clear coat on that side of the car is coming off!! Not the other side, hood, or trunk. We bought a Carfax for it that came back clean. Call it lessons learned. Mechanically, the car has held up well. Now sitting at 150k miles.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

R-WEST

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
Thanks guys!!
We'll see how it works out - I'm chiseling away at the '14 guy, who doesn't want to budge from his $33K OTD price.
I bought a '14 XLT last December, also a rental unit, 4WD, 17K miles, for $31K, so $33K for almost a year older, double the miles and 2WD just doesn't seem right.  I need to save as many $$ as possible for my other projects.   ;D