Author Topic: FE Build Thoughts  (Read 1807 times)

jimeast

• View Profile
FE Build Thoughts
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »
I'm starting to collect parts for a build I am slowly working towards and thought I'd share my thoughts and see if anyone has suggestions on the parts.

I have a running 390 that I plan on stroking;

I have the following parts;

Running 390 engine
Stroker Crank and Rods
CJ Intake
C6AE-R bare heads

My current thoughts are to
1) Get the heads built with CJ valves, pocket port and a minimal cleanup of the ports
2) Set the compression around 10:1 with forged pistons
3) Acquire a set of CJ exhaust manifolds
4) Acquire a CJ 735 Carb or similar
5) Acquire a Solid Comp 282s Cam and associated parts
6) Acquire stock type adjustable rocker setup

Regarding the CAM, I plan on getting a little advice from a cam grinder when I'm ready to buy the CAM, I'll have the heads done by then, but it seems like the 282s is a pretty standard recipe for a 445 build, so out of the selection of solid grinds in catalogs, it seems like a good starting point

I plan on using a 3.25"1 rear end, it's currently 3.00:1
My current transmission is a C-6, but I've collected most of the parts needed for a toploader conversion.
Exhaust will be 2.25 stock CJ or 2.5" that is visually similar to the stock setup if possible.

The engine is for a '67 Mustang convertible that will be street only.  Any strong opinions on a better way to go for a fun very responsive, but drivable street ride would be appreciated. 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:39:03 PM by jimeast »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: FE Build Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »
I think that sounds like a really good combo just as you described. Just a couple things I might add. A Police Interceptor or RPM intake would save you a bunch of weight on the front end. If you want a factory look, you could always grind the RPM logo off and paint it. But you already have the CJ intake so that's definitely the cheaper route. Also, a standard Holley 750 would work great and be cheaper than a factory CJ 735 carb. Although I really don't care for the polished aluminum that Holley uses on the 750s now. I much prefer the older gold coloring.

As for the automatic, rumor has it they explode when you put them in gear, causing considerable damage and loss of limbs, or worse. I would go with the 4 spd just for safetys sake :)

Sounds like it's going to be a fun car.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe