Author Topic: How much lift and duration on a hyd. Roller??  (Read 2391 times)

fe66comet

How much lift and duration on a hyd. Roller??
« on: April 05, 2015, 11:39:29 AM »
How much lift and duration is possible on a hydraulic roller before the lifter scrubs the cam lobe? Of course duration would change how much lift and overlap. Any ideas?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: How much lift and duration on a hyd. Roller??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »
Scrubs the cam lobe?  What do you mean?

I have ran about .660" lift with an FE hydraulic roller before.  Frequently use low to mid 250's on .050" duration with larger engines.  I don't know what you mean by scrub the cam lobe though. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
I have never seen that be an issue.  Even a "full body" roller should not come close to contacting the lobe.  Hydraulic rollers have large base circles and slower opening ramps than solid rollers.
Blair Patrick

fe66comet

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »
The hydraulic rollers I have certainly do not have the clearance that a mechanical lifter has. The body extends way past the centerline of the wheel. The advantage of a roller is steeper ramps to hold the valve open longer so the roller prevents the edge of the lifter from contacting the cam as in a flat tappet. What I am seeing in the market is basically a .600-650 lift max with almost .300 duration, with the FE maxing out around .610 or so. One thing for sure the body on the hydraulic lifter has a lot more front and rear overhang than the mechanical lifters do.