Author Topic: A 67 Mustang - The Assembly Process Begins, slowly!!  (Read 28388 times)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
A 67 Mustang - The Assembly Process Begins, slowly!!
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:25:58 PM »
Now that the car is home from the body shop, it’s time to start putting it back together. I’m looking forward to the adventure. I hope to have it drivable by the end of the year.  ;D

Untitled

IMG_8733

Just need to figure out where to start.
Updated photo 6/4/18
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:22:39 PM by Bolted to Floor »
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: A 67 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 06:05:52 AM »
Nice!
Rip the axles out of it drive train?
Those are my favorite drive trains. :D

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:09:56 PM »
Looks sharp, just keep thinking how fun it will be when done.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »
Beautiful I have the same color only a fastback love the hood never seen one with the louvre a definetly will help with cooling

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »
Ditto. Love that hood!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: A 67 Mustang - The Assembly Process Begins, slowly!!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »
The car had a Lincoln Versailles rear end that I had bought years ago. I didn't want to hassle with the calipers or the parking brake, so onto Craigslist where it finally sold. Scared me to death to pull it out of the car, terrified of scratching the paint.

I bought a 9 in. housing and 31 spline chunk w/3.50 gears from 69-Jetcar on FordFE. I have them cleaned up and painted. The housing is now installed in the car. The new axle shafts they should be here on Tuesday.

IMG_0482

IMG_0540

IMG_0534

I'll be heading to the local pick-a-part next weekend to look at the Explorer rear disk brakes. According to Google searches, they will fit on the small bearing housings by elongating the holes.

Edit for gear ratio
Update Photos 6/4/18
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:22:12 PM by Bolted to Floor »

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 07:01:06 PM »
Looking good John!
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 07:41:11 PM »
Very nice! :) what gear ratio?
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
Thanks guys. It's a 3.50 ratio. I was looking at a 245/45/17 for the rear tires and the TKO 600 .64 overdrive should have me going down the street pretty good. If the width does not work out, I'll be looking for a narrow tire with the same height.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:44:49 PM by Bolted to Floor »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
Looking good, John. That thing should be a blast to drive, even with a mild FE engine! How is that plan working out for driving it by the end of the year?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
Looking good, John. That thing should be a blast to drive, even with a mild FE engine! How is that plan working out for driving it by the end of the year?

Not worth a dam.  :'(
But I will keep plugging away at. I'll keep the pictures coming with progress.

I've got contact info for a machine shop that can turn the 3.98 crank and balance the assembly to make a 410. But haven't reached out to them yet. One of many things on my To Do list.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »
It’s been a while, got a slow start this ear due o health issues, but all better now. I have finally started doing something on the car.

I got the gas tank in first to provide a staging area to set the parts I gathered up for install. I am continually looking through all the places in the garage for stuff I have bought. Got a nice little pile of double purchases so far. I bought a 20 gallon tank cause that FE should be thirsty. Since the filler inlet is at a different angle than my tube, I took a precision approach to the leveling of the area. 2 pound hammer and the block of wood in the photo. “Beet to fit, paint to match”, “Caulk it if it leaks” does not apply to the gas tank!!!

Then the filler tube needed to be sectioned since it overlapped the tank inlet about an inch. A little work with a hack saw and tig welding by a guy from work and it fits like a glove. 

IMG_1352

I worked the block of wood around the inlet and didn't get too much deflection in other areas.

IMG_1342

The offset before sectioning.

9 P7170017

And after sectioning. You can see the weld bead in the area between the brace and the tail light panel.

Update photos 6/4/18
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:29:01 PM by Bolted to Floor »

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
I had intended to install the Explorer disks out back. So the new 31 spline axle shafts from Jegs got new bearings. (I wasted money on the axle installation kit “bearings, seals, and wheel studs” from Jegs. Poor shopping on my part. The bearings were fine, the seal was wrong, and the wheel studs were too short.) Since there were no bearing on the shafts, the guy at the 4X4 shop only charged $20 for the bearing install. The axles went in with the U shaped bearing retaining brackets from Jegs. This was right before the car went back to the body shop for some touch up work. I was in a hurry.

The main reason I wanted the Explorer brakes was for the drum feature of the emergency brake. After purchasing the stuff from pick a part and getting it home, I was not thrilled with how the bearing would be retained. Or some of the methods I had seen used after I did more research. They should work great on a big bearing housing, but I have the small bearing!!! For me, gap between the axle housing flange and the Exploder backing plate that results from the bearing sticking out of the housing should be measured precisely for a machined spacer. I saw a post where someone used your typical 3/8” flat washer as the spacer!!! I couldn’t go that route as a permanent fix, but it did well enough to get the car winched on and off the roll back for a trip to the body shop.

Next step was the buy the GT rear brackets from MS and do a mock assemble. Everything looked like it would work without the axle shaft installed. With a new set of axle bearings from the parts house, about $45, & $80 bucks to get the old bearings off and new ones installed. I made certain to mark the axles and the retaining brackets as right and left and gave the guy a copy of the instructions. My poor choices had cost me enough money so far, I didn’t want to add a shop mistake to cost me more. Luckily, it all worked out well. The back brackets got installed without issue, then the rear end went back together. Now, I can’t remember if I put the additive, or gear oil for that matter, in the rear end for the traction lock unit???? And I need to install the pinion snubber. Too many mental notes, they all run together.

For the rear, I bought new stuff from Blue Oval industries. It was the Ford racing M-2300-G2 conversion kit for a 9”. It was $225 shipped to the house. New calipers, rotors, machined spacers for rotor, mounting hardware for big bearing housing, brake pads, and dust shields. It’s a lot of stuff and that box was heavy, I guess they are closing it out. I also bought new Ford flexible brake hoses for connecting to the hard lines from the place that TKO had mentioned.  Next came the emergency brake cables. I looked at setting it up just as MS shows, but it looks like the end of the cable will pull at an awkward angle as the lever pulls forward. After some thought, I cut some card board templates for a bracket that could be welded to the spring plate. A 9/16 nut with a 9/16 drill bit ran through it is perfect for the cable ends to slide into. It keeps a nice arc as it goes through the motion. The pictures are with the suspension at full droop, the cables are tight to the spring and spring plate, but should be OK when the suspension is loaded. After I got them installed, I realized I will need to do something different for traction bars!!! Tonight as I’m typing this up, it dawns on me that I could have mounted it to the U-bolt in the same area as the bracket. Hind sight, right. 

IMG_1682

Fresh from welding

IMG_1690

Had to cut down on the metal bracket Ford put on them and they worked out well. The hoses had clips for connecting the ABS cable, I guess, to them. That got cut off and rounded with a file.

P7160034

P7160041

I got this picture and view a little later. That same type of tab welded to the nut to space it out from the center of the U-bolt would have probable worked. The length of the cable may come into play though.

Updated Photos 6/4/18
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:33:41 PM by Bolted to Floor »

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 08:18:48 AM »
Enjoyed the post John, and good seeing you last Saturday nite at Nifteefiftees. Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 08:41:42 PM »
That wallet is looking a little fat for having all those new parts, John. Better do something about that  ;D

You have to love the look of all new parts. Everything is so clean and easy to work on, it's like looking at a new car that just rolled off an assembly line today, except it's easy to work on..lol. Looks like you about have the suspension finished up. What's next?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe