Author Topic: Is HP or RPM the greater limit to OEM part life  (Read 11811 times)

BB-63

• View Profile
Re: Is HP or RPM the greater limit to OEM part life
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 12:28:45 AM »
I suppose everybody has their own idea of fun. I've had the opportunity to drive quite a few 500+ rear wheel horse cars on the street and I don't think they're boring.  I'm not a drag racer, I'm just a street guy.  My Galaxie is a daily driver.  It's 34 miles round trip from my home to Whipple and back so yes, I prefer reliable power.  Thanks everyone for the input.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
Garrett,
Got some pics of your Galaxie daily driver?  I'm sure we'd like to see it.

Thanks,
Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
Here you go.  The first picture is right when I bought her in SF.  The second is right after I installed the new wheels (Boss 338 w/BFG's).  She's down right now for disc brakes all around, rack & pinion power steering, and some suspension mods including a 4-bar rear and shockwaves.  She's no looker yet;  I'm saving that for last. - G

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »
Garrett,
Looks great, a California Galaxie. Lots of potential there!

Don't mean to hi-Jack but here's mine; bought her in Kansas.  http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=891.0 

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

BB-63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 01:31:49 PM »
Bruce - That's a beauty you have there!  Mine's "Glacier Blue" which looks like white unless you're in the right light.  I'd prefer a bit more color but that's last on my list. - Garrett

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
You guys are making me want a '63 LOL!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 01:55:09 AM »
Blair your view of what it takes to run a production 3/8ths rod is inspiring.  I believe a big problem is most engine machine  shops do not know how critical shot peening is, or perhaps they know how difficult it is to do properly, or they do understand and they are not willing to place the responsibility in a shot peener etc.. Your sending six or eight sets of rods at a time makes for a worthwhile job for a shot peening shop and also allows the peener to properly peen the 48-64 rods using almen strips. An almen strip is a thin strip of SAE 1070 steel used to quantify the intensity of a shot peening process.  Shot peening only a few sets of rods does not allow the time and cost to be distributed over the peening operation.  Peening is a science and can easily be screwed up by varying any of the multiple items and operations that make up a proper peening: velocity, hardness/size of the peen shot, metal the shot is made of, angles of the shot, duration/intensity of the peening etc..
The result of peening is seen in surface hardness and the depth of the hardness. If the surface is over or under peened it can become to brittle, not hard enough or not achieve the correct depth of hardness, as a result optimum fatigue resistance is not possible. Another thing is stock rods have already been peened at least once - this potentially double peening effect must be factored into the peening operation.  Like you stated: " prepped properly, they rarely had problems. " The fact it is costly in time and skill to properly prepare "stock" rods so buying a set of aftermarket rods where those prep costs can be distributed over a production run makes for an economical alternative.  When you realize a set of Carrillo rods can get into $3,000-4,000 you get an idea just how costly preparation can get.

Shot peening is one key reason to be gun shy on Chinese parts. With shot peening being a science with untold variations in the procedures the failure in any of the variations to get it right is potentially catastrophic,  yet the parts lookee rightee for they are masters of making stuff look good. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:35:02 AM by Qikbbstang »

FErocious

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 02:53:23 AM »
"I guess I have a whole lot more faith in the OEM C7AE-B rods (or other beefy part numbers) than some folks do.  I am not a "real" engineer, but  I am a pretty good hillbilly shithouse engineer.  That is a trademarked term, by the way, ha ha.  Back when aftermarket rods were not legal in Stock and Super Stock, we....and many others........did figure out how to make the rods live.  I absolutely agree that RPM is much harder on the rods than power alone, and really high compression ratios stress things more also.  Most "windowed" FE blocks are from RPM related failures, but not from BROKEN rods initially.  First, they spun the bearing, and then the cap came off, and then it went through the side.  My opinion is that in the vast majority of rod failures, the rod broke after it slapped around on stuff a few rounds after the bolts failed and the cap flew off.  I have seen the beams bent double at times, that did not break."  [/size] [/size] [/size]

Yes, I can vouch for the ability of the OEM C7AE-B rod strength to resist fractures and breakage. This rod has several bends in it, with two at the immediate small end at the pin location. A dropped valve was the cause of this mess. 

[/color]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:56:19 AM by FErocious »