Author Topic: March 20, 2011 - The Road to Drag Week 2011  (Read 5662 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
March 20, 2011 - The Road to Drag Week 2011
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:30:29 PM »
This week was header week, and I had hopes at the beginning of the week of getting the headers completed by today.  Unfortunately real life intervened again, with my attention being required on several other projects, including my book.  I haven't talked about the book much in this blog, but in a nutshell after sending it off for printing at the beginning of January, I got my 1000 copies back on January 31.  The pictures in the book did NOT look good, and there were some obvious printing defects, like lines through the photos and variations in the darkness of the print.  I complained immediately, but it took a solid 6 weeks to finally get some action out of the printing company.  They agreed to reprint the book at no cost, but suggested that the printing method that I used and the paper that I had selected were not ideal for good quality black and white photos.  They suggested a different type of press and paper (more money, of course), but I agreed because I didn't want to go through this whole mess again, in case the press and paper really were limiting factors.  This week they sent me another proof, so I had to spend a couple of days reviewing that.  I decided at the same time that I wanted to change the contrast and brightness in some of the photos to improve the look of the proof, so I spent Wednesday and Thursday night revamping about 30 photos.  Friday I sent off the revised file, and will probably get another proof at the end of next week.  Then, hopefully, the book will finally get printed correctly.

Saturday I had a couple of machining projects to finish up, which I thought would only take a couple hours but ended up taking all day.  One of them was preparation for my son's Boy Scout meeting on Monday night; the troop is coming over to my shop to see a demonstration of what machine tools are and how they work.  I wanted to be prepared to have the Scouts machine something that they could take home, and it took me longer to set that up than I originally anticipated.  But at least Monday night should go well.

Sunday I finally got back to working on the car.  I started with the driver's side header, and had a bunch of mandrel bent J-bends on hand to make the pipes.  I'm using a stepped header design with 2 1/8" to 2 1/4" to 2 3/8" pipes, plus a slip on collector.  I stared at the car for a while to try to visualize where everything was going to go, and then started on the first pipe.  I've probably built 15 sets of headers in my life, and after coming up with a basic strategy for each side I've found that the best thing to do is dive in and start cutting and fitting.

Cutting to the chase, eight hours later I had the driver's side done, with the exception of the 2 1/8" pipe from cylinder #8 to the 2 1/4" pipe coming up from the collector.  I could have done that one, but I was trying to maintain equal length and this tube would have been a good 6" longer than the rest if I'd built it with the pipes on hand.  I figured out that if I bought some of those exhaust pipe donuts from the Chassis shop I could cut at least 5" out of the first 2 1/8" pipe, bringing it into line with the rest of the pipes for length.  So, I've left that pipe for now, and will order the donuts tomorrow.

Here's a couple of photos of the left side header; you can see the missing primary on #8, and in the background the 2 1/4" pipe that it needs to meet up to coming up from the collector, in the first picture:

I'm sure I can get the left side header finished up and the right side header done next week, but I'd really like to get them done before 4:00 or so on Saturday, because Steve and Jerry are coming over again next Saturday night.  We're going to get the new doors hung on the car, and hopefully get the front clip on and adjusted, plus the rear taillight panel, trunk lid, and end caps on and adjusted.  With that done, and the headers finished, I'm on to the next project, which will be a sheet metal intake manifold for the car.  I've given myself most of April in my schedule to get the sheet metal intake built, installed, and then dyno the engine.  May is going to be bodywork and paint month, and June will be assembly.  Maybe on the road by July...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:33:44 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Mario428

Re: March 20, 2011 - The Road to Drag Week 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
Having built a few sets of headers my self I can visualize the path you plan to take or #8.
My thoughts whether you like them of not LOL, I personally would not do it, the donuts while they look like an answer have far too tight a radius to be usuable for headers. You would be better off with unequal length than the very tight radius for more than 150 degrees to get to that tube.
Larry Meaux of pipemax fame has done the testing and equal length does not make enough difference. Our local Super Stock guru found the same. His cobbled up rush to fit headers made the same power as a set of ultra hi dollar ones he borrowed to test. The hi dollar headers were built for one of his engines. After the beautiful work you have done to now the very small radius will be a dissservice to the rest of the header.
Enough of that, back to work designing a pan so my ideas can get beaten up. GRIN

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:39:34 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Mario.  So, you are saying that by using the very tight radius of the donut bends that this will restrict the exhaust, and have a more negative effect on the power output than one extra long primary tube?  I guess I hadn't really thought of that as an issue; radius of the donut tube bend is about 1 1/2", and radius of the normal J-bends I'm using is 3", and I figured as long as the pipe was smooth I'd be OK either way.  Where would I find more information on this?

By the way, I use Pipemax when calculating lengths for headers and intake manifolds, but based on the dyno testing using my Hilborn setup it doesn't translate perfectly in the real world.  Pipemax predicted a 17" runner length would be optimal for my Hilborn setup on the big SOHC at 7000 RPM, and 20" turned out to be what the engine wanted.  It also gives conflicting results on exhaust system lengths; for example, on this set of headers, Pipemax says that the OD of the first primary tube should be 2.275", but that for optimum exhaust gas flow the pipe should be 2.1".   So, my opinion of Pipemax is that its a good tool that will get you in the ballpark, but it is no substitute for empirical testing.  You probably knew that  :D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Mario428

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »
Thanks for the comments, Mario.  So, you are saying that by using the very tight radius of the donut bends that this will restrict the exhaust, and have a more negative effect on the power output than one extra long primary tube?  I guess I hadn't really thought of that as an issue; radius of the donut tube bend is about 1 1/2", and radius of the normal J-bends I'm using is 3", and I figured as long as the pipe was smooth I'd be OK either way.  Where would I find more information on this?

Larry Meaux has a discussion forum he setup and I may have seen that in there. Radius of 1 1/2 is even tighter than I thought.
I have the link to the discussion forum at home and will post it here tonight. He set it up about the same time I bought pipemax and I got an invite then though I do not think it is an invite only deal. You may want to shoot him an email

Larry's forum

http://maxracesoftware.com/bulletinboard/index.php?sid=0bceb2dd6ad50288b2fc0033e7ec29b8

Look at the post by "Exhausted"   http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17950&hilit=header+tubing

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:51:28 PM by Mario428 »