Author Topic: Down under Thunderbolt  (Read 36654 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Down under Thunderbolt
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 06:46:40 PM »
Wow! There are no words!
Awesome? Nope, doesn't do it justice. Wow is the only thing that comes to mind! :)

Are those BT heads? The port alignment looks like they were made for each other. Also, are you planning on drilling holes in the head to circulate water? Those Hogan manifolds are a work of art.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »
Speechless!................
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2015, 02:37:46 AM »
Yes, they are BT HR heads. I made up a template of the port face and sent that to Hogan's to match, which they did pretty well. And yes, I plan on running water pick ups from each head corner to a 4 into 1 Wilson water manifold.

63gal427

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »
How does it work with the pushrods and offset rockers?
Do they line up perfectly, and is there enough clearance in the pushrod tubes?

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
Haven't got that far in the build yet.

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 09:49:28 PM »
Looks real nice Todd, your Intake and Lettering! Your car is amazingly nice...................Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

dowds

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2015, 12:45:07 AM »
Hey Todd, your car looks outstanding it will be a heap of fun with the jerico in it that's for sure. Next time I am in perth I would love to come over with Graeme and have a closer look.
Once again great job.

Wayne ( Graeme's brother)

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2015, 02:10:04 AM »
Sounds good Wayne, let me know when you and Graeme are in town.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
Really cool build. Have you got any more updates? I am interested in the manifold and how that turned out for you. If you have any questions on T&D rockers and offsets available, let me know. I have a similar build starting and have various rocker offsets and lifters combos I'm playing with etc. along with BT HR heads.

I also think it is cool you have a stick shift set-up for the future, once you get it sorted out. Really nice parts and effort everywhere, good job!
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
No big updates, unfortunately. I had to make up a couple of brackets to mount the throttle linkage and the fuel pressure regulator, all done now. Also need to make up the fuel lines from the reg to the carbs, but the local supplier was out of stock due to a big car show happening the weekend. Should get them done this coming week.

Also, I am having the valve seats in the heads replaced from the iron ones the heads came with to a bronze alloy material that is more compatible with the titanium valves I am using. Hopefully, that should be done shortly, then the engine can go back together.

I ended up getting a set of the T&D rockers with 0.250" intake and 0.080" exhaust offset. These, along with the offset seat lifters look like they will work well with the heads and intake. But I won't know for sure until I actually do a trial fit with the heads and intake back on. Once I have an answer on that, I will post an update.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2017, 04:27:10 AM »
So, it's been over 12 months without an update, but progress has been made.

I still don't have the race engine ready. The guy who was going to do a quick change of the valve seats to match the titanium valves still has the engine. It's only taken him over 18 months now. Don't ask.........

In the mean time, since I had the 462 out of my '63 Galaxie sitting on the workshop floor, I decided to put it in the Fairlane to get it going. Here's a pic of it in the engine bay.

In that pic, I have a pair of 660's on it, but they had a heap of leaks so I just went with the pair of 750 vac sec carbs I was previously using on that engine.
Engine bay finished.

So now, after 10 years of taking it from a rusty body shell, my car has finally passed tech inspection and is ready to hit the track for some licensing passes.

Here's a short YouTube clip of me idling it in my yard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVcD0nIlnIQ&feature=em-upload_owner

I now have to wait until the next test and tune meet at my local track to do a couple of licensing passes, and if all goes well I am good to start having fun in it. Even with the 462, I'm expecting the car to run mid 10's, as it only weighs 2980lbs with me in it.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2017, 07:46:29 AM »
Nice car indeed! Good luck with the current engine and I'm sure we all hope you get the #1 race engine back and soon!
Bob Maag

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
Todd, car looks immaculate!  The 462 looks just right in there.  Let us know once you're able to get it on track.  A buddy of mine just finished a T-Bolt tribute also, painted Vintage Burgundy like yours.  He put a Cammer in his but made it streetable!  Beautiful car.  Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »
Beautiful Todd ... do you have any front end suspension pictures ?? ..... fabulous car , I'm jealous  of your cars weight

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
Beautiful Job Todd, sounds and looks good rolling.....best of luck on your shakedown passes, it will make it nice for when you get your race engine having shakedown out of the way.......also nice job getting it under 3000 with you on board...Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way