Author Topic: I need a drawing  (Read 8452 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: I need a drawing
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
Doug, What kind of issues have you found on the sideoiler garage blocks? I`m thinking of getting onr in the near future. The one Barry had at the FE reunion was really good looking, finish looked like factory unit.

Here's a post and discussion that I put up when I got the block. The hardware was one issue, but the oil port from the pump to the filter was a bigger issue to me. While technically this one was "fixed", there are still a couple things I don't like about the fix so I will be re-doing it. BUT, the block is very stout, in fact it is cast even stouter than most other aftermarket blocks with the "siamesed" casting extending to the front and back bulkheads.
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=1483.0;all
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 04:18:52 PM »
I like your Sideoiler Garage block Doug. Is the machining done for the relief valve? I see several upgraded casting features. The steel main caps are a big improvement also. My early Genesis has cast caps. I had the same "suspect" hardware with mine too. I popped for the ARP main stud kit. Seemed like cheap insurance to me. It also looks like you will have to mess around with motor mount clearance too. I kinda wish I would have left a little bit of the sideoiler bump on and just spaced the motor mount out with some washers. Live and learn I guess. This old Genesis block is my training unit.  :)
Kevin McCullah

fe66comet

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 06:34:53 PM »
I think as I look at all the offerings I would go for the Pond block, the fully enclosed mains are a big plus for me as a selling point. I suppose all the aftermarket blocks are an improvement to some degree. I would say with original blocks getting harder to come by it is a good thing you can buy a replacement in general no matter what design. When the day comes to throw down the green I will look deeper into the attributes of the current blocks and make a decision then. It was mentioned in another thread that a tall deck may be in the works with bigger bores, I would definitely be interested in a monster like that for my Comet project later on but for now my 68 390 445 stroker is eating me up already. Either way on the next build I will be much wiser from what I have learned from you guys as to the good, the bad and the ugly LOL.