Author Topic: Do our regular FE engine builders have data bases of Sonic Tests they can post?  (Read 1973 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Noticed in classifieds of another forum a 105 block with its sonic map selling for only about the price of a sonic test alone. Got me thinking that the engine builders that routinely build FEs very likely have had and will have dozens of sonic test results passing through their hands.  These tests could be a wealth of info for FE aficionados. Years ago on my first 427 I was told by K&C to go for the C5AE center oiler over the side oiler because 427-center-oilers had the thickest production 427 walls. FECA demonstrated out of five 105s that got a single seriously stout all 0.090" walled 4.13"/428, I was told by a Gods of Mega-$-NHRA-FE engines that years ago he found that 428CJ blocks actually produced more power then regular 428 blocks. How about finding out if late production 427 "P" blocks actually had the closely controlled core shift that Ford Performance literature advertised?
    Obviously the builders likely will use more and more modern "replacement" blocks from BBM, Genesis, Shelby etc then original FE's.  I'd also expect less and less OEM blocks to be available, not to mention sleeved blocks that can no longer provide any historic dimensions.
   Be great to have those "maps" shared if only with the block casting number/date code and bore at which the test was performed so no owners feel their engine builder/owner's privacy was broken.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:09:32 PM by Qikbbstang »