Author Topic: 427 stroker build  (Read 17640 times)

BH107

• View Profile
Re: 427 stroker build
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
The intake might be more the issue than the heads if it's the one i'm thinking of with a gigantic plenum volume and huge runners.

That's a good point, Tom.  What about that?  That is, replacing the High Riser Tunnel Wedge with a factory Hi Riser dual plane intake?  Maybe add filler to the heads and intake, too?

paulie

edit:  Here's a side by side pic of the "normal" medium riser Tunnel Wedge and the hi riser version from Dove:

edit:  Just for comparison,  factory Ford 2x4 and 1x4 high riser intake manifolds.  I believe there are two versions of the factory 2x4 intake, differing in the "connecting port" and maybe other ways?

Dove also made a normal version of the HR Tunnel Wedge that looks just like the MR version.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »
Actually DOVE makes 3 high riser tunnel wedge versions. The "big one" like shown (I believe this is the PIE version), a "standard plenum" which looks very close to the normal Medium riser version (longer, smaller runners and smaller plenum with the  offset balance "tube" between carb pads. etc.), they also make a "low rise" version that has the carb pads/runners lowered, to fit in a Cobra (I think that was the reason... or just hood clearance period).

I have a "standard plenum" HR, DOVE tunnel wedge in hand right now, first impressions are good. Best casting I have seen from DOVE, I like it much better (runner size and plenum, etc.) than the "huge" PIE manifold, I have put some splash zone in one of those, (probably not enough...).

I wish I had the two side by side for pictures, but the PIE is gone. I know a guy who has two of these on two HR engines, one runs pretty good at over 900HP, the other was a bit of a dog at 650 HP, that engine is too mild for that intake, but it should have made more HP. The dyno guy only did 3 pulls on that one, no tuning, and stopped the pull at 6500, it was still climbing... so no idea what they were doing other than no time, (spent too much time on the 900+ version) and they wanted to go home.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

plovett

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
Actually DOVE makes 3 high riser tunnel wedge versions. The "big one" like shown (I believe this is the PIE version), a "standard plenum" which looks very close to the normal Medium riser version (longer, smaller runners and smaller plenum with the  offset balance "tube" between carb pads. etc.), they also make a "low rise" version that has the carb pads/runners lowered, to fit in a Cobra (I think that was the reason... or just hood clearance period).

I didn't know that.   I thought the only Dove High Riser Tunnel Wedge was the "humongoloid" version. Thanks for the info.

paulie