Author Topic: The Road to Drag Week 2014 - April 27  (Read 9404 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
The Road to Drag Week 2014 - April 27
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »
Ever since last September I've been thinking about Drag Week 2014.  I came back last year pretty disappointed in my performance, and it was clear in restrospect
that I just hadn't been very prepared for the event.  This was the same situation as 2012, when I tried to bring three cars but didn't make it with any due to
 last minute problems, and 2011, when my Shelby clone was pretty much brand new and I had thrashed like mad just to get it finished before the event.  Last time
I won my class, in 2009, I'd been much better prepared.  I had resolved this year to make a better effort, so that I could at least finish the race.

Watching the message boards and Hot Rods website it was clear that Drag Week had mushroomed in popularity.  Last year all the spots sold out in 8 hours; in
previous years they had never even sold out all the spots.  This took me by surprise last year, and I ended up not getting registered; I had to go down to Bowling
Green with the car and hope somebody cancelled so I could get in.  This year the talk was that even more people wanted to attend than last year, so last fall I
started to get worried about even being able to sign up.  With my intake manifold project going also, this uncertainty had the unanticipated effect of keeping
me from getting too motivated on getting my car done for the event.  I sweated this situation out for most of the winter while the race car sat, but finally
Hot Rod came out with a statement in March that they would give a week's warning on their web site before registration went live.  Again I was concerned because in the
middle of April I was going to be in Europe for 10 days, and didn't know if I would have the time, or the internet access, to get online and register if it happened to be
while I was there.  Fortunately for me, my trip came and went without any news from Hot Rod.  Then a week ago the registration information was posted:  Saturday, April 26,
9:00 AM Pacific time.

Well, with all these people wanting to register I didn't know if I could even get in!  So on Saturday at 9:00 AM Pacific time, there I was hitting the refresh key
over and over again, waiting for the registration link to go live.  As mentioned elsewhere all the spots for DW14 went in 8 minutes, but I was lucky enough to get in.

So, now I have a car that is apart, that needs to go back together and get to the track as soon as possible, so that I can be a little more prepared this year when
the event finally rolls around.  I decided to put together another Road to Drag Week board to chronicle my progress.  The car I want to bring is my '69 Shelby clone,
but if worst comes to worst and I don't get it ready in time, I can bring my Mach 1 instead, which is essentially together, needing only about 10 hours of work to
finish the wiring project I started on it last year.  But I'd really rather bring the other car.  Here's a couple of photos of it in its current state:

Right now I'm working on getting the oil pan for my dry sump setup finished up; once I have that done I have to go through the heads, replacing the Ferrea valves with the Manleys that flow so much better, then get the whole thing put together, and finally put the sheet metal intake that I built for this engine a couple years ago on it.  Then, I have to mount the crank and cam sensors, and get the MS3X EFI system all wired up so I can dyno the engine.  Hopefully the dyno work will go smoothly and I can get that done in a weekend.  I'm targeting the end of May for the engine to be together and dynoed, and ready to go in the car.

Then of course I have to put the car back together, and change the wiring all around to remove the ems-pro EFI system and install the MS3X system in its place.  I also need to replace the rear end gears with a set of pro gears (there are street gears in it now), and get the car running and driving.  Hopefully I can get all that done by the end of June.  If I can keep that schedule I'll have a few weekends to sort the car out at the track, and plenty of time to drive it on the street, before I have to head to the event in September.  My history of keeping schedules is miserable, but I'm going to give it a try.  I guess even if I'm a little late, as long as I get some track time on the car it should be OK.

We will see what happens.  I will try to post a weekly update on my progress - Jay
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:42:53 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mlcraven

• View Profile
Re: The Road to Drag Week 2014 - April 27
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
Jay: very much enjoyed following your Drag Week exploits from a few years ago with the Cammer Galaxie.  It seems an ambitious program you've mapped out for 2014 and here's wishing Lady Luck smiles on you and Mr Murphy takes a lengthy holiday.  All the best.
Michael

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »
YES - GO FOR IT!

I'll be cheering you on from down in Western Australia.

SE2839

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »
Wishing nothing but the best of luck for you with this quest and looking forward to the updates!

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
Jay,   Hope that things go smoother this year... Will Joel be back to do the under car maintenance?

I know a couple retired guys who can show up on short notice to do menial garage tasks to help out...

Royce
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »
Jay
That thread last year was probably the the best thread I ever read. I couldn't stop reading it.
All those little details and pictures are fantastic.
Good luck with your schedule.
Viewing pop corn is cooking and the beer's getting cold. Can't wait to see what's next. :D
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

TomP

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
Great to see this. I hope you manage to get plenty of track time before September.

Why are the Manley valves so much better flowing than the Ferrea? Tulip vs nailhead?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »
Tom, I don't know why they flow so much better.  My flow bench guy thinks it is the margin on the valves, and the back cut area on the Manleys.  On the intake side the Manleys have about a 5 degree tulip, and the Ferreas are flat.  On the exhaust side they are both tulip style valves.  The Manleys flow better on both the intake and exhaust sides, so I'm not sure about the differences myself...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jems68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:37:09 AM »
Ever since last September I've been thinking about Drag Week 2014.  I came back last year pretty disappointed in my performance, and it was clear in restrospect
that I just hadn't been very prepared for the event.  This was the same situation as 2012, when I tried to bring three cars but didn't make it with any due to
 last minute problems, and 2011, when my Shelby clone was pretty much brand new and I had thrashed like mad just to get it finished before the event.  Last time
I won my class, in 2009, I'd been much better prepared.  I had resolved this year to make a better effort, so that I could at least finish the race.

Watching the message boards and Hot Rods website it was clear that Drag Week had mushroomed in popularity.  Last year all the spots sold out in 8 hours; in
previous years they had never even sold out all the spots.  This took me by surprise last year, and I ended up not getting registered; I had to go down to Bowling
Green with the car and hope somebody cancelled so I could get in.  This year the talk was that even more people wanted to attend than last year, so last fall I
started to get worried about even being able to sign up.  With my intake manifold project going also, this uncertainty had the unanticipated effect of keeping
me from getting too motivated on getting my car done for the event.  I sweated this situation out for most of the winter while the race car sat, but finally
Hot Rod came out with a statement in March that they would give a week's warning on their web site before registration went live.  Again I was concerned because in the
middle of April I was going to be in Europe for 10 days, and didn't know if I would have the time, or the internet access, to get online and register if it happened to be
while I was there.  Fortunately for me, my trip came and went without any news from Hot Rod.  Then a week ago the registration information was posted:  Saturday, April 26,
9:00 AM Pacific time.

Well, with all these people wanting to register I didn't know if I could even get in!  So on Saturday at 9:00 AM Pacific time, there I was hitting the refresh key
over and over again, waiting for the registration link to go live.  As mentioned elsewhere all the spots for DW14 went in 8 minutes, but I was lucky enough to get in.

So, now I have a car that is apart, that needs to go back together and get to the track as soon as possible, so that I can be a little more prepared this year when
the event finally rolls around.  I decided to put together another Road to Drag Week board to chronicle my progress.  The car I want to bring is my '69 Shelby clone,
but if worst comes to worst and I don't get it ready in time, I can bring my Mach 1 instead, which is essentially together, needing only about 10 hours of work to
finish the wiring project I started on it last year.  But I'd really rather bring the other car.  Here's a couple of photos of it in its current state:

Right now I'm working on getting the oil pan for my dry sump setup finished up; once I have that done I have to go through the heads, replacing the Ferrea valves with the Manleys that flow so much better, then get the whole thing put together, and finally put the sheet metal intake that I built for this engine a couple years ago on it.  Then, I have to mount the crank and cam sensors, and get the MS3X EFI system all wired up so I can dyno the engine.  Hopefully the dyno work will go smoothly and I can get that done in a weekend.  I'm targeting the end of May for the engine to be together and dynoed, and ready to go in the car.

Then of course I have to put the car back together, and change the wiring all around to remove the ems-pro EFI system and install the MS3X system in its place.  I also need to replace the rear end gears with a set of pro gears (there are street gears in it now), and get the car running and driving.  Hopefully I can get all that done by the end of June.  If I can keep that schedule I'll have a few weekends to sort the car out at the track, and plenty of time to drive it on the street, before I have to head to the event in September.  My history of keeping schedules is miserable, but I'm going to give it a try.  I guess even if I'm a little late, as long as I get some track time on the car it should be OK.

We will see what happens.  I will try to post a weekly update on my progress - Jay

jems68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 07:50:20 AM »
Hey Jay,
Glad to see you made it in. Looks like you have some work to do but that's the fun part. Scott and I were at Beaver Springs this past Saturday and missed the registration by a few minutes. I think he is # 16 and I am # 25 on the wait list so I guess we will see what happens. Anyway have fun and I sure hope some other FE combos got in.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
Great to hear from you, Jack, and good luck on the waiting list!  I sure hope you guys make it in - Jay
Jay Brown

cdmbill2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »
Jay its great to see this back on here for any number of reasons. I am in you same situation with a new build that is behind schedule but I still have 'ol sorta reliable as a back up plan. I won't know what class I'll run until I get there so it's SR BB/NA as the usual default. I didn't enjoy our joint 2011 experience particularly and I'm trying to stay with the prep program this year.

This will be great reading as always. See you in September!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 11:14:25 AM »
Good to hear from you, Bill, and I'm looking forward to racing with you this year.  Let's hope we can both stay with the program and make it in with our good cars, and then make the entire trip.  Otherwise, we might be racing each other in BB/NA, and we'll both be chasing Curt Johnson LOL!
Jay Brown