Author Topic: Adhesive for attaching the wire grating on 69 Shelby Fiberglass  (Read 5412 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Adhesive for attaching the wire grating on 69 Shelby Fiberglass
« on: September 01, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
So I'm just getting around to putting some of the final touches on my Shelby clone.  One of them is the steel grating that goes in all the hood openings, and the two front fender openings.  It looks like I have to trim and glue these pieces somehow to the fiberglass.  Any suggestions on what adhesive I should use?  It should probably be clear, or black to match the grating, and it needs to stick pretty well to steel, raw fiberglass, and painted fiberglass.  The pictures below show the grates and the inside of one of the hood openings:

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Adhesive for attaching the wire grating on 69 Shelby Fiberglass
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »
I use a adhesive that is used in house constructions
you can glue things in vertical position and it sticks
without  sliding down its called PL600 here in Sweden
You cant remove steel glued to fibreglass without
using ultra violence and a BFH :)
Some building suplier should have something equal in stock

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

afret

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »
We just used the dark gray JB epoxy since we had a bunch laying around. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »
I hate to say it, but a bead of Right Stuff may hold in this case and be able to be cut loose later.....

I am NOT a Right Stuff junkie either, but it does stick pretty well and has the color and consistency to do the job

If not, 4-6 good dollops of JB Weld should hole pretty well once cured
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »
Jay, I would also lightly scuff the areas where you will apply the "goop" on the hood to stick those little grates on. Especially because of the acceleration they will see!  ;D

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »
Scuff the area with 80 grit then use the green fiberglass filler sold at any Napa or body shop supplier. That will be a permanent fix. Apply light bead around the opening then set grating in place then another coat over the top will set it place for good.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »
Agree with Fastback 427 above.  You need a slow-setting epoxy product that has a filler / stiffener added.  The green stuff at NAPA is very good, but I have a soft spot for Evercoat Formula 27 marine filler.  Very similar stuff.  Works great on fiberglass and the stiffness will ensure you get all around and through the wire mesh.

Good luck getting the car sorted!

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

fe66comet

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:16:19 AM »
When I worked at an auto shop we often glued emblems, mirrors and trim on with clear silicon. After gluing most parts would just stay in place, if they wanted to be stubborn a block of wood wrapped in a rag with a bungee cord wrapped around the panel would hold things in place. The great thing about it is it remains flexible so it does not vibrate off, like when a fiberglass hood is placed over a 1000 hp engine. Get the good stuff like 50 year silicon sealant and clean all the area with denatured alcohol first, but be careful around finished paint it will dull and make it hazy if spilled and left to dry. Just dampen the rag and give it a quick wipe. Dewaxer also works on the same principle.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »
Kind of different using what I presume is expanded metal as Jay says "steel" and I take it for granted it actually is steel because he ought to know what steel is. In the filter industry expanded metal is used everywhere right down to backing the pleats in HVAC filters. * Expanded metal is cool Ive seen it made by cutting the stamping/cutting the slots and pulling to achieve the expanded metal.  I scored 3'x4' 1/2" steel plate grating that is reserved for my BBQ burner plates. Normally the steel expanded is tough to hold off rusting and by nature it's hard to seal against corrosion. My Fav is Stainless Steel Mesh which is a woven wire cloth -- you see it on/in NASCAR grilles etc. The woven SS Mesh is exponentially stronger and does not look like shit when dinged as does the expanded stuff.
   I'd go with the silicone for someday someone will want/may need to remove those metal grilles and silicone slices unlike epoxy which could be a real bitch to get off a glass hood w/o collateral damages! Jay now knows to mist the silicone with water to set-off cure the silicone faster!

* decades ago when I first got into filters the shops used the scrap metal sheets for HVAC filter backing after the bottle caps had been punched out of them, the dam stuff was razor sharp/deadly and sometimes they'd get un-stamped sheets with the soft drink/beer logos.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:28:46 PM by Qikbbstang »

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 07:27:14 PM »
BTW Jay were those "grilles" actually expanded steel and not some other metal?  ...............Just seems expanded steel even "galvanized" * is rare in that size and kind of a bitch to keep from rusting.
 I confronted filter Mfgs years ago for bragging they used Galvanized expanded steel ...well when you slice the steel to expand it you slice clear through both the galv top/bottom and also the steel. The exposed steel starts rusting...