Author Topic: Good/best quality electric fan packages?....  (Read 6974 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Good/best quality electric fan packages?....
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:37:15 PM »
I've never used electric fans but I'll be adding some to a friends project with an aluminum radiator. Not having messed with them before, I don't know who makes good ones and whos to avoid. I know of SPAL, and I think they have a good reputation, but I honestly don't know from any experience, so I'm calling on your guys experience.

Also, from what little research I've done I can't find any complete "packages" where the relay and sensor/switch is included. Does all of this stuff need to be purchased seperately? And if so, where is a good supplier for these things?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Good/best quality electric fan packages?....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:55:44 PM »
Doug, trust me when I tell you that Spal fans are the ONLY way to go.  None of the other fans out there move near the air of a Spal.  I've tried all of them over the years, and I'll never go back to anything else.

I usually use a Painless Wiring fan relay kit to power the fans.  It has everything you need to get hooked up, except the connector that connects to the Spal wiring harness.  You can buy the connectors from Spal when you get the fans.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »
I had a Spal on a 65 mustang years ago
worked fine the couple of years i had it
and all rally drivers around here like them

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

afret

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
Like mentioned above, Spal is good.  I think Be Cool sells them under their brand and they sell wiring kits.  Here's a dual fan that fits stock FE Mustang radiators:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-75007/overview/

This is a Spal dual fan on a brass FE Mustang radiator:

The dual Ford Contour fan fits the FE Mustang radiator well also.  The first photo is the Contour fan on an aluminum FE Mustang radiator which is very similar in size the the brass one.  The second photo is the Contour fan on a brass FE Mustang radiator.

I think the Contour dual fans actually pull more air than the Spal dual fans.  The paper towel gets stuck to the radiator with only one fan on.  The radiator is a thick 4 core with the narrow fin spacing:

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
Thanks, Jay and thanks for the pictures, Afret.

My next question concerns efficiency. The radiator is small at 20 1/2"x 17 1/2", but it's only cooling a stock V8 at around 250-275hp. Would one of the Spal 16" HP or HO series fans work fine without a shroud or would it be best to go with a shrouded dual 11" and just overhang  the radiator by an inch on each side? I don't want to have to fabricate a shroud for it so I'm not sure if the 16" HP/HO will be efficient enough to cool it without one or not. And it appears with the dual fan setup, a dual relay and harness is needed, adding to the expense. So if the unshrouded single 16" HP or HO would work, it would save him a bunch of money.

Afret, I looked at that Contour fan setup because I remember it being a popular option, but it looks like that fan assembly is wider than the Spal? Is that correct? If so it may be too wide for the 20" radiator. On the plus side, it looks like it's much easier to mount.

Also, Afret, just looking around, this sight offers the same dual 11" that you showed on Summit, but at $60 less.
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=30102052

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:15:31 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
Yes, the Contour fan setup is too wide. I just measured mine and it is 24" wide.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
Yes, the Contour fan setup is too wide. I just measured mine and it is 24" wide.

Thanks. I thought that looked like a 24" radiator. That wont work on the 20" radiator.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

afret

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:49:47 PM »
The 16" high flow Spal works pretty well.  If you have the space though and really need the flow the Lincoln Mark VIII 18" fan is supposed to pull a bunch of air if you have the space.  I think it is really thick and about 22" wide with the shroud.  The 3.8 Taurus fan is a bit smaller and still gives a lot of air flow.  You could look into those and see if they will fit.

fe66comet

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:18:28 AM »
Some Ford Fans are variable speed.

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:12:39 AM »
I have a Lincoln Mark VIII Fan and it measures 21.5 W x 18.5 x 5.5.
You can cut the housing down and make it a little thinner but .5 to .75 inch is all you can
removed and not have the blades hit the radiator.
They are great fans but they really pull a lot of amps and you need a high output alternator and
some hefty relays to run them.
This is a 2 speed fan. Most of the guys I have talked to that run them say you rarely need the
high speed side so they run the low speed off a temp sensor and just a switch for the high side if
needed.

garyv
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:26:18 PM by garyv »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 06:59:38 AM »
With just a smidge over 4 1/2" from radiator to pulley, it looks like those fans won't work. I think I'll use the Spal 16" and see if that's good enough. That's only leaving 2" each side not covered by the fan. If I have to build a shroud then so be it. I don't want to waste his money.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
SPAL is the ticket without question.

I have run a huge single Flexolite & the car got hot.

Switched to a pair of small SPALs - a 12 & 13 fit.
Tied one to a temp switch & the other to a dash toggle

The single 13 inch SPAL keeps it cool enough that the second fan almost never comes on.

fe66comet

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »
I just fabricate my own shrouds out or aluminum sheet and rivet it together. You have a huge assortment of channel and angle to choose from to use as a frame to run around the outer perimeter of the base. I also step the plate to allow more air as I move toward the fan for proper cfm and no hot spots. When it is all finished it can be painted to any color you desire, it is unaffected by heat or cold and will never crack. Plus there is always the custom cool looking aircraft look to boot.