Author Topic: 66 Galaxie Toploader Conversion  (Read 10352 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
66 Galaxie Toploader Conversion
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »
I am relatively new here, as I have only had my Galaxie since May. I am collecting the pieces for a toploader conversion, and am looking for advice from those who have done this in the past.

Currently, I have a built 390 with a C6 and a 3.50 Traction-lock. The car came with an aftermarket torque converter, but unfortunately I do not have the specs on it.

At present, I have the pedal assembly and z-bar w/spring. My greatest concern is replacing the C6 w/aftermarket torque converter with a toploader, being that off-line performance may be an issue with the 3.50 rear gear (a gear I plan on keeping, as I drive this car a lot).

Questions:
1. Will the car launch "adequately" with a wide ratio and/or a close ratio toploader, or will it be an utter dog offline?
2. Does the 390 require a Galaxie specific OEM bellhousing? I don't plan on spending the long-dollar on aftermarket.
3. Are there any cues on the floor pan for hole cutting?
4. The plan is for a console to be installed as well, what pitfalls await me?

I am on the hunt for parts for this conversion, so any and all thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome. This site has already been an immense help in diagnosing and solving the minor problems that came with my car, so now I am looking to make the car "my own" with the four-speed and console.

Thanks----

WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: 66 Galaxie Toploader Conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »
Definitely go wide ratio.  I have a '63 marauder, with a T10 (2.32 first gear) and 3.50 it was still lazy, feels ok with 4.10 now but obviously cruise manners are not so good. 

gregb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
Go with a wide ratio.  As for the rest I'm not a Galaxie expert, but I'd get the console before I did and cutting, that will kind of deterimine where the hole for the shifter should be. 

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »
My '64 started life as a 352 auto, I just finished installing a toploader.  A trans tunnel hump for the shifter is available (Dennis Carpenter sells a fiberglass version, you can probably get it elsewhere too).  Not sure how that would match up with a console, but it should fit and provide a method to seal as it is intended to mimic the original floorpan.

I would assume you're going with a long tailshaft trans to keep the drive shaft as short as possible.  I'd recommend taking measurements from the crossmember mounting pads on the trans tailshaft forward to where the shifter is located when you mock it up and then transferring that to the car using the installed cross member as your starting point, should get you very close.

You do not need a Galaxie specific bell but you do need a car specific bell.  Truck bells are slightly deeper and should not be used with a toploader. 

If you're going used you can find casting numbers on-line that'll work.  Davidkeetoploaders.com is a great reference source for all kinds of related information by year and casting numbers.  I purchased and installed his Hurst competition plus kit complete with rods and his stuff is very good IMO.

Good luck, I found my pitfalls to be man made (by me).  Go over any used parts you have carefully and verify driveline angles when you install.

Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Ratbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
One more "yes" to the wide ratio.
I had a close ration 1 3/8 in and 1 3/8 out toploader with a 3.89 diff in my 3700 pound 1959 T-bird with a 410ci mercury. I wanted more hole shot so I bought the close ratio  to wide ratio kit from David Kee. It's a lot better. It made mine a 1 3/8 in, 1 3/8 out wide ratio - they never made those by the way.
I am very happy with David Kee's hardware kit - good product.

Dave J
1959 T-bird - rat kind of a thing
FE 410ci bored .030 over, 4 sp toploader
pure fun

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:02:27 AM »
Well, it seems my greatest concern regarding this conversion is well founded, a 3.50 gear is not likely to be acceptable with regards to off-line performance. While I am not looking for drag car performance, I don't wish to over-tax the clutch in order to launch. I was hoping that the nice low end torque generated by the FE would be sufficient to get her going with the toploader and a 3.50.

A few years back I converted a 71 Montego station wagon to a toploader, it was a 351C (2V heads with 4bbl) and a 3.25 gear Detroit Locker. It was awful off line, so I put a 3.50 in, but that still didn't get it, so a 3.89 went in. It was a lot more fun to drive, but mileage suffered a bit. It was a 3800 lb car without driver. While this experience was quite informative, the Cleveland does not produce the low-end grunt of an FE, which I had hoped would compensate for rear gearing a bit.

Currently my Galaxie gets around 11.5 to 12 mpg in mixed driving, but mostly open country road driving--I don't want to make the mileage worse with more gear in order to put a toploader in. Perhaps I will stick with the C6 (though I know I will free up power and increase efficiency somewhat with a toploader- the C6 does "absorb" a lot of power). I put a lot of miles on my car, just over 6000 since May--and counting (cars are for driving, not for putting on a doily and gazing at longingly--in my opinion....).

Maybe my conversion should just be limited to a console and floor-shift C6.

Thank you for all the feedback.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:04:22 AM by Diogenes »

1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 08:48:53 AM »
Just because I have to ask; why a toploader specifically?  Is a 5 or 6 speed just not on the table?  I bring this up because it can give you the best of both worlds gearing wise.  I've got a Tremec behind my 468 and it's great.  I've still got a toploader in another car and may wind up swapping it out for that same reason.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
True! A modern 5 or 6 speed would allow low rpm cruising with great off the line performance.

'Course the $$$ for a modern tranny compared to a T-loader you may already have...................

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-tcet4615/overview/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:19:58 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »
I would love a 5 or 6 speed, but correct me if I am wrong, I believe the conversion is both much more costly and fair bit more complicated compared to the toploader. Also, while I suspect there are ways to retain an original-ish appearance to the interior doing these types of conversions (relating to console and shifter), doing so will likely result in higher costs. I would like to keep the Galaxie looking somewhat period correct-ish.

Also, toploader durability is a huge plus, especially when using a cost-benefit approach.

Thoughts on this???

1985 Toyota Celica Supra

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
Well, it seems my greatest concern regarding this conversion is well founded, a 3.50 gear is not likely to be acceptable with regards to off-line performance. While I am not looking for drag car performance, I don't wish to over-tax the clutch in order to launch. I was hoping that the nice low end torque generated by the FE would be sufficient to get her going with the toploader and a 3.50.

A few years back I converted a 71 Montego station wagon to a toploader, it was a 351C (2V heads with 4bbl) and a 3.25 gear Detroit Locker. It was awful off line, so I put a 3.50 in, but that still didn't get it, so a 3.89 went in. It was a lot more fun to drive, but mileage suffered a bit. It was a 3800 lb car without driver. While this experience was quite informative, the Cleveland does not produce the low-end grunt of an FE, which I had hoped would compensate for rear gearing a bit.

Currently my Galaxie gets around 11.5 to 12 mpg in mixed driving, but mostly open country road driving--I don't want to make the mileage worse with more gear in order to put a toploader in. Perhaps I will stick with the C6 (though I know I will free up power and increase efficiency somewhat with a toploader- the C6 does "absorb" a lot of power). I put a lot of miles on my car, just over 6000 since May--and counting (cars are for driving, not for putting on a doily and gazing at longingly--in my opinion....).

Maybe my conversion should just be limited to a console and floor-shift C6.

Thank you for all the feedback.
You did not say if the TL was a close or wide ratio.
But if you have the close ratio you are giving up a lot of gear reduction.
The Starting Line Ratio with the close ratio 2.32 and 3.25 rear gear is 7.54.
The SLR with a wide ratio 2.78 and 3.25 gear is 9.33. Much more SLR friendly.
You want your SLR to start in the 9's for a very modest giddy up.
For real giddy up 12's or better.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
My 64 Galaxie with 390 PI and T10 had 3.50 gearing from the factory
I dont know the ratio on first gear in a T10
But it worked okay, not blindingly fast but need a lot more than gearing
for that ;)

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
Nothing wrong with a wide ratio TL and a 3.50.  That's a 9.73:1 compound 1st gear.  It's the 2.32 x 3.50 = 8.12 that is wimpy.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »
I find it curious that the compound first gear/SLR is applied somewhat universally. Is it not reasonable to assume that vehicle weight and torque characteristics of the engine will have an impact on the "desired" compound gear/SLR? For instance, a 390 in a lighter first generation Cougar/Mustang will benefit far more from a 9.73 compound gear than a fully dressed Galaxie--correct?

I am thinking a bit more optimistically now, though,  particularly upon reading Heo's comment. The compound gear/SLR info is helpful, but nothing replaces real world experiences from those who have a similar set up in their Galaxie. I suppose if I want to be safe, I should probably dig out my cam card and try to figure out torque/RPM levels, as it seems reasonable that it will have an impact on off-line performance with respect to the compound gearing, weight, etc.

Am I wrong here? Or am I simply over-thinking the issue?

1985 Toyota Celica Supra

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:23:14 AM »
My experience with gears and TL is get the SLR up if you want giddy up.
Certainly tires and weight play a part, but  when accelerating from a stop
you need to get everything except the tires spinning as fast as possible.
The heavy car will benefit more with more gear reduction than the lighter car.
The really fast guys with money and such are at 15+ SLR.

I climbed the Cabot Trail this summer in a fully loaded Fairlane probably close to 4400lbs and had no problem with a wide ratio and 3.50 gears.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »
I find it curious that the compound first gear/SLR is applied somewhat universally. Is it not reasonable to assume that vehicle weight and torque characteristics of the engine will have an impact on the "desired" compound gear/SLR? For instance, a 390 in a lighter first generation Cougar/Mustang will benefit far more from a 9.73 compound gear than a fully dressed Galaxie--correct?

I am thinking a bit more optimistically now, though,  particularly upon reading Heo's comment. The compound gear/SLR info is helpful, but nothing replaces real world experiences from those who have a similar set up in their Galaxie. I suppose if I want to be safe, I should probably dig out my cam card and try to figure out torque/RPM levels, as it seems reasonable that it will have an impact on off-line performance with respect to the compound gearing, weight, etc.

Am I wrong here? Or am I simply over-thinking the issue?

You are assuming we use math without experience, however with your screen name I would expect nothing less :)   In general, the heavier car with the flatter torque curve will like the wider ratios and deeper SLR.

Sounds sort of snarky, but the truth is, the 2.32 gear worked well in NOTHING on the street.  So although you are correct that application matters, other than a peaky small block in a very light car, the close ratio that forces the tall 1st gear is rarely needed and forces some odd gear choices with any big block. 

The same was true in the Rock Crusher Muncies in Chebbies.    Maybe in radical small block vehicles where the power was in a very narrow range, but that was it and it generally takes a 4.30 gear or deeper to make those run, ironically you end up in the same SLR area when you gear for an engine like that.  (4.30 * 2.32 = 9.97).   What happens is, you either gear for the top end or you gear for 1st, they just don't match well for a daily driver (and I would add rarely for all but the wildest drag cars, but doesn't really apply here)

It also can bite you if you go too far.  I have a buddy who decided to go with a Super T10 in a drag car, 3.34 1st and 5.13 gears, for the life of me I cannot get him to re-gear the rear or even better, the tranny.  His 17:1 1st gear is killing him in the 60 ft, so don't think we just go for max SLR, it is generally between 10:1 and 12:1 for a street car and will go higher for certain combinations of drag car as stated above.  In his case, there is no doubt that if I could get him to a more standard 1st and second gear ratio that he would run quicker (or a taller rear but, in his case the wide ratio is SOOOO wide that it's hurting a pretty radical 440 inch Rat)

So I do not run a Galaxie, but let me tell you some specifics about a relatively heavy Mustang. 

1 - My Mustang, fully dressed with A/C, carbed 433 cid at the time, 2.32 RUG-AE2 and a 3.70 gear.  Street driven in Vegas, fun enough to drive, but 1st and 2nd sort of soft not impressive, on highway, very buzzy, long ride from Vegas to Bishop CA required silence because we couldn't hear each other  talk or the radio (SLR = 8.58, final 3.70, avg mpg in the 14s)

2 - Same Mustang, same engine and tranny setup, 3.00 gear for a run from Vegas to LA for Knott's show.  Great-ish on highway, real bad in Huntington Beach stop and go.  Drivable, but very blah.  (SLR = 6.96, final 3.70, avg mileage in the 14s)

3 - Same Mustang, 489 FE, carbed, probably 150 more HP built to match gearing combo, same fully dressed, 3.70 gear, TKO-600 with 2.87 1st and .64.  MUCH better traffic manners, in town mpg went up a little, highway went WAY up, but was driving too fast with tall rear gear ratio.  (SLR = 10.61, final = 2.36, mpg 14s)

4 - Same Mustang, EFI, even more peak power but milder, added 4.11s, in town....even happier....granted 5th gear is an equalizer on the highway to offset the higher SLR, but no downside in 1 through 4, the car is much happier it stop and go traffic and accelerates like a monster when you drop the hammer. 1st gear is by no means too deep and is very nice due to torque multiplication, (SLR = 11.79, final = 2.63, mpg high 14s)

In all cases above, 275/60-15 rear tires, so pretty tall compared to what most Gals will run.

The end result is, within reason, more SLR is better until 1st gets too deep or a more peaky torque curve cannot recover from too wide of a ratio.  I would focus on no less than around 10:1 SLR and an acceptable cruise RPM in high gear.  Sometimes that forces you to a 5 speed, like it did me.

I will say though that I truly agree that tire size and torque curve do matter, however, in regards to tire size, you'll only go up, and odds are the Gal doesn't have room for a tire that will cause the estimate to change much.

In my 4200 lb 445 truck, the tire size turns a mathematical 11.78 SLR into a equivalent 9.58 when compared to the Mustang size tires.   Right now I am torn between changing my gears to 4.11 or adding a 5 speed and gears.  The reason being is a truck 4 speed is TOO wide of a wide ratio because it's really doing it in only 3 gears.  Otherwise just a gear change would be fine.

As far as torque curve, the more radical the motor, it is true the more likely you'll need a closer ratio.  However, I'll argue that the wide ratio is "narrow enough" for any FE I have ever seen on the street even ridiculously radical ones, so unless someone builds a significantly destroked TP with a caveman radical cam, I just don't see a benefit of a close ratio tranny and the resulting tall 1st gear

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:28:01 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch