Author Topic: ok i am lost Help on compression ratio goal PLEASE  (Read 22202 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: ok i am lost Help on compression ratio goal PLEASE
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
Fabulous customer service, Barry, which of course you are known for.   8)
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
X2 Barry. Bravo Zulu!

Question though. If he already has the SRP's .005" above the deck and he changes to another off the shelf piston which I was looking around
and most are showing a 1.330" comp height. Will this not put him .010" above the deck and thus causing even more grief. just thinking out loud.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
Or he can just send the (carefully packaged!) pistons and rods here and let me remove them.
He's gonna pay for some shipping either way - an extra few pounds won't matter much.

There you go!  Best for all involved IMHO
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fe66comet

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
I do not blame anyone, it is what it is. I appreciate  Barry helping me out, most people it is 30 days and that is it, it has been nearly three years. Now I am into finishing the engine up and when I took a look at the piston specifications they did not add up. I thought I was missing something so that is why I asked. My memory is so bad I forgot what rings and rods I used, the rods are full floaters and rings are standard gapped. I have done some other engines since starting on my FE and they kind of melt together. The rods are a plus I forgot about but I will upgrade the rings while I have it apart. Some Zero Gap street rings come to mind as a possibility. Eventually I am going to send my heads to Barry for the chamber and port work but for now I would like to just get the thing together. Barry has always been good to me so I would send others to him, I have already and would continue to do so regardless. I am certainly not done with building FE engines and actually am looking at getting the N-600 truck I discussed earlier, I will continue to deal with all the folks on the forum. If they can deal with my cranky butt LOL.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
X2 Barry. Bravo Zulu!

Question though. If he already has the SRP's .005" above the deck and he changes to another off the shelf piston which I was looking around
and most are showing a 1.330" comp height. Will this not put him .010" above the deck and thus causing even more grief. just thinking out loud.

I thought he was .020 deep...
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
WOW ...  Awesome  Barry , that is above and beyond on customer service .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 07:27:41 PM »
X2 Barry. Bravo Zulu!

I thought he was .020 deep...
I used a feeler gauge and a stainless strait edge, it has a .005 pop up on one side, the other is slightly lower on the smaller area by the reliefs total volume when I filled the entire piston was 28 cc with a 17 cc dish. I measured the piston with a syringe, slow but extremely accurate. So I am guessing it is made up like a Probe as I thought. So where does that put me now?
I may be thinking old school pop up. Above the deck.
I'm not sure where the .005 pop up is, but if it is above the deck a 1.330 comp distance won't help.
Like I said a pic would help a lot.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »
I agree and see why you thought that, I am just as confused LOL

but to be .005 above he'd have to have a 10.145 deck height, that is pretty short...I think we are losing something in translation and/or measurement

In addition, I think he is claiming its a 17cc dish but he also measured the volume of the ring land above the piston, the calculators account for that, so my hunch is really he is just under 10:1. 

On top of that he said he thinks maybe it was originally spec'd for 10:1, all that makes sense with Probe dimensions, not sure where the SRP part number came in though.  Too confusing   ::)   time to get some real measurements
Ross

fe66comet

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
At the top it was a tiny over if not level at the top, at the bottom it was far below. Total volume to the top of the first ring measured -28. The small area that was up was about 1/4 or less of the total piston top just above the reliefs. I suspect that the pistons are for supercharged applications? The pins and walls are definitely thick with double locks and such. When Barry get's. Them I am sure he knows what the intended application is? The .02 1 calculated by subtracting the block deck height from the crank, rod and piston specifications. That is when my brain had a miss fire and I could not figure out why nothing added up. I thought it was just me being goofy.

fe66comet

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
Spiro locks are not a big deal, I get em with a sharp pen knife, it gets right behind them and walks them right out. Kenny Santfort taught me that trick when I worked for him. I have been around the block a few times, even had to push my ride home LOL.