Author Topic: 445 stroker build vs rebuilding my 390  (Read 19504 times)

Fine69mach1

• View Profile
Re: 445 stroker build vs rebuilding my 390
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 10:36:15 PM »
Len,
Since you are running the same heads, are you also running the stock rocker assembly too?
Did  you put in rocker studs?
If I can find the extra cash I will buy the pop end stands and rocker shafts but may have to just use my factory set up for now. 
Blew my budget already on stroker kit.
1969 Mustang Mach1 S code

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 07:24:56 AM »
Len,
Since you are running the same heads, are you also running the stock rocker assembly too?
Did  you put in rocker studs?
If I can find the extra cash I will buy the pop end stands and rocker shafts but may have to just use my factory set up for now. 
Blew my budget already on stroker kit.
Jared,
Understand the blew my budget part :-\, I did that a while back.

I consider my setup to be adequate for break in and cruising at this point.  I am running Harland Sharp aluminum roller tip rockers.  They are bronze bushed (I'm sure that full rollers are better for reduced friction).  They were designed to work well on my factory shafts which I reused, I didn't have any installation issues.  Over the winter I will upgrade to chrome moly shafts and quality end support stands using these same rockers.

My factory adjustable rockers were digging trenches and breaking stem edges on some of my old valves due to bad build practices (I found bent and different length push rods when I took it apart).  I think most here will tell you your factory setup is strong and should work well if properly set up.

With that said, Edelbrock does list adjustable rockers for the build on their instruction sheet, not sure why.  I went with them in a "better safe than sorry" approach and to accommodate future changes anyway.  The Edelbrock heads move the intake away from centerline as opposed to the factory 390 heads.  I used .060" valve spring shims to get this done.

Also, I did go with the rocker shaft stud kit, my factory bolts were flat-out too long, and with the studs you safely get full purchase on the heli-coil insert.

Hope this helps,
Len
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 07:49:54 AM »
i have a 12:1 428 makes good power and ive never had a problem with valve train.  all ive done is put in chrome moly shafts and changed the end support stands,  everything else is factory rockers   precision pumps makes some really nice stands and they are very affordable.  plus come with shims to really dial in the rocker to the valve tip

fe66comet

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »
A good rocker set also has the advantage of valve train stability. Which believe it or not will give a measurable gain in HP. With rocker flex you loose lift and consistency, some claim 15-25 HP gains but I can't substantiate that. But I do know if combined with a roller camshaft (hydraulic or solid) big gains can be had. IMHO well with waiting for the extra dough to get the good stuff.