Author Topic: RC 400cc P47 Thunderbolt plane...  (Read 14634 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: RC 400cc P47 Thunderbolt plane...
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 12:01:45 AM »
Wow, Cubs, Fokkers, P47s, Corsairs, PBYs. Besides the WACO and Stearman, the only thing missing from my favorites list is a good old Sopwith!
What an awesome collection. I had no idea you were into RC planes.

I gotta stop thinking about this or I'll miss Drag Week...

Sorry to sidetrack you. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming 8)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

MustangGT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 02:53:41 AM »
I love bi-planes! That would be a great prize, although I'm sure it would be MUCH cheaper to just pay for it ;D
Ok, now I'm starting to regret this thread. I'm really wanting one of those 1/4 scales with that 400 radial...lol

It took a $15000 plane, serious flying skills and alot of votes from the crowd so it would most definatly had been alot cheaper to just pay for the ride, no doubt  ;)

Don't regret this thread dude, it's great!  ;D

MustangGT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 03:25:14 AM »
I did water takeoffs and landings with the smaller PBY, but never with the big one.  The small one was really hard to get off the water, but landed beautifully even when it was a little choppy.  For most of my water flying I used a big Cub.  This one is a 1/3 scale Balsa USA kit, 12 foot wingspan and a G-62 for power.  Here's a picture of it with the landing gear...

The engine sticking out of the cowl is a model; the real engine is mounted upside down and is pretty much completely hidden by the cowl.  The plane is only about 29 pounds with the landing gear, and the engine is a little much for it, but with the floats it goes up to 35 pounds and flies a lot better.  Here's a couple of pics with the floats on:

Some of the best RC times I've ever had have been flying the Cub off the water.  It flies really slow; you can get in the boat, take the plane off and then bring it down so it is flying right alongside the boat, literally 10 feet off the side and 5 feet in the air, and just fly all over the lake with the boat chasing the plane at about 15 MPH.  Great fun, and I've still got the plane.

Another favorite was this Bucker Jungmann, that I scratch built from a set of blown up Carl Goldberg plans.  This one had an 8 foot wingspan and a Quadra 100, and was a great aerobatic plane:

Unfortunately I got greedy for more performance, and stuffed a 3W 160cc opposed 4 cylinder engine in it, and on the first flight it just wouldn't slow down enough to land.  The additional weight and power was too much for the field I was at, and the plane crashed on landing.  I still haven't rebuilt it.

Finally another favorite, my 1/4 scale Fokker triplane.  Always draws a crowd, and everybody knows the Red Baron plane LOL!

I gotta stop thinking about this or I'll miss Drag Week...

Beautiful planes Jay!  ;D
I really think you should try to fix that Jungman again  8)

R-WEST

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
The Corsairs were always my favorite
My Dad worked in the Goodyear plant in Akron, OH during WWII building Corsairs.  He had some pretty wild stories to tell, especially about the test pilots!!

MustangGT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
The Corsairs were always my favorite
My Dad worked in the Goodyear plant in Akron, OH during WWII building Corsairs.  He had some pretty wild stories to tell, especially about the test pilots!!

I like Corsairs too! Here's a pic of an unfinished one hanging from the ceiling in my workshop.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »
Why'd the P47 go into the Smoke-Mode once it landed?

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 11:52:40 AM »
While not RC, I've always had a love for warbirds too. One of my dads friends owns and restores them, and specializes in B-25s. I've flown in 2 of them, and it is amazing. His restorations are perfect, and have won Grand Champion at Oshkosh several times.

Its funny, he was a car/off road guy before he got into warbirds. He actually owned his own race transaxle shop for VWs back in the 70s, and raced Baja. He and my dad also worked for Mickey Thompson in the 70s when he owned SCORE and ran all of the Baja races. One day he was up at a local air field and saw a derelict B-25 sitting off the end of the runway and bought it. At that time he didn't even know how to fly, or anything else about airplanes. The rest is history!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 11:55:20 AM »
Bob Maag

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »
That was almost 10 minutes of why I'm not farther into RC!  :o

I wonder how much time and money loss were chronicled in that clip?  I've gotta say though, the one in the power lines was spectacular!  ;)