Author Topic: Clutch pack installation  (Read 2737 times)

sixty3

• View Profile
Clutch pack installation
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:12:47 PM »
Getting prepped to install a new RAM powergrip clutch pack and have a few questions.
I found a site that recomends specs to hold.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-talk/139928-tko-shift-problems.html

1/4" gap between the face of the bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate when the pedal is at the rest position AND .020  Air gap  simply, the distance between the disc surface and the flywheel surface when the pedal is pushed to the floor.

I'm trying to figure out how to measure the gap at bearing?  ANY suggestions for setting this up. 

thanks
Kevin

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Clutch pack installation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »
If you can get your hand in there to measure either of those specs then I'll eat my hat :)
I just adjust the linkage to where I have about 1/8" free play measured at the end of the clutch fork before the arm inside the bell makes contact with the clutch fingers, or about as minimal distance as I feel comfortable with. There's really no way to measure the gap between the clutch plate and flywheel when disengaged, and on stock set-ups it's pretty well set by the linkage ratio and dependent on how far you push the clutch in anyway. I could possibly see trying to get that spec when fabbing a custom build where the ratio might be different.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »
There's really no way to measure the gap between the clutch plate and flywheel when disengaged...

You'll need an access hole in the bellhousing / scattershield and a feeler gauge.  I put one at 6 o'clock on the bellhousing.  Rotate the motor via remote starter while under it until a good spot is found to get the feeler gauges in.  I use a prop-rod between the steering column and the pedal to hold it at the floor.  Takes a few adjustments of my rod under the hood, but its a 30 minute ordeal after the 1000 times I've done it now.   ;)

Where are you getting .020 air gap from?  That sounds awful small.  I run .050-.060 with my McLeod diaphram clutch and organic clutch.  Any smaller and it acts pissy between gear changes.  With that air gap there is around 1/4 between the throwout and pressure plate fingers.. 

sixty3

• View Profile
I'll eat my hat..
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
That's what i thought. just wanted to make sure I wasn't over thinking this setup.  I don't plan on cutting up a scatter shield so it I what it is.  getting better at setting the free play so will wait till next week and hope all goes well.

Kevi

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:14:42 PM »
If you don't want to put a hole in the scattershield, you may be able to set the air gap through the starter hole.  I did that before I put the hole in my quicktime bell.  If you're a Cirque Du Solil contortionist, its not too bad.   :o