Author Topic: Cam choices narrowed down. Anybody got experience feedback on a similar build?  (Read 18150 times)

jholmes217

• View Profile
My bored .060 428 is almost done at the machine shop.  Stock crank and rods.  Streetmaster intake, 735 Holley VS, stock 428 Cobra Jet heads.  I got a set of comp 926-16 valve springs for free, so I'm using those.  Compression close to 10 to 1.  Car is a 69 Mach 1 with a 4 speed and 3:50 rear end.  Here's the cams I'm looking at;

Crower Power Beast
Comp 280H
Comp 287TH7 (Mutha Thumpr)
Comp 295TH7 (Big Mutha Thumpr

Car is street only, going to cruises, parades and car shows.  Looking for good power from idle to 5500 RPM, and nice rumpety rump idle.  Anybody have experience with these in a similar build?
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

Grbmaverickmo

• View Profile
Those were some of the cams I looked at also. Another was the 275 deh from comp or Cranes CJ replacement cam is what I narrowed down in my choices but my car is a automatic

bn69stang

• View Profile
what is the max duration @ .50 you are wanting to run , along with max lift you want to run ? .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

jholmes217

• View Profile
what is the max duration @ .50 you are wanting to run , along with max lift you want to run ? .. Bud

I'm no means an expert on cam technology.  I have power brakes, so it needs to have good vacuum with those, and needs to have good street manners.
Jeff
Olympia WA. area

My427stang

• View Profile
Of those choices, I like the 280H, its a good all around cam.  Although given the choice I'd push you to a 282S for better manners and more RPM when you want to play

However, 2 questions are pretty important, because a 270H (or S) may be better for your use.

- Did someone measure deck clearance and the chambers, or are you estimating 10:1?
- How far below deck is it and which pistons are you using?

Odds are, unless you did something th change it, your compression is lower than you'd expect.  Chambers are almost always larger and pistons further below deck than you'd think.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jholmes217

• View Profile
Of those choices, I like the 280H, its a good all around cam.  Although given the choice I'd push you to a 282S for better manners and more RPM when you want to play

However, 2 questions are pretty important, because a 270H (or S) may be better for your use.

- Did someone measure deck clearance and the chambers, or are you estimating 10:1?

Odds are, unless you did something th change it, your compression is lower than you'd expect.  Chambers are almost always larger and pistons further below deck than you'd think.

Pistons are flat tops, and Dave Bliss, the machinist doing the work, says current compression when he modeled everything was 10.7 to one.  He recommended shaving some off the the top of the pistons in case I get some bad pump gas.  Compression would be about 10 to 1 then he said.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:45:50 PM by jholmes217 »
Jeff
Olympia WA. area

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
If you pick or have a custom cam made. You can get away with 10.7 out on the street BUT your going to have to run a 112~114 LSA. If it was me... I would call up Oregon Cams and talk with Ken. Great guy and great prices! You might be surprised. I'm a not off the shelf kind of guy. JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

jholmes217

• View Profile

You have me researching the 282S now also.  I have adjustable rockers, so going solid isn't an issue. 
Jeff
Olympia WA. area

bn69stang

• View Profile
That would be a good choice , with 3.50 s and as far as your power brakes you can always add a vacuum canister somewhere for extra storage . I agree with wes  ( 428cj )  have a cam ground custom to your set up , what you decide as far intake , carb , gear , ignition ,  ect  ..   Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

jholmes217

• View Profile
Pulled the trigger and ordered the Comp 280H today.
Jeff
Olympia WA. area

My427stang

• View Profile
What made you decide against the solids?

Just wondering, the 280H should do you well.
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jholmes217

• View Profile
I decided to go with the 280H after a couple tech lines (Comp Cams and JEGS) told me I would need to run a vacuum pump with the Magnum 282S.  My car is an original Q code Cobra Jet car, and I don't want to drill any holes or make modifications that may be costly and/or difficult if I decide to restore the car later down the road.  For now, the plan is to enjoy driving the car I've always wanted since the mid 1980's when a friend of mine pinned me to the seat when I asked if his had any balls!  As it is with the 280H, they say I may need a vacuum canister.  Jegs says the cam won't ship until July 29th, so I still have time to cancel that and change.  I'm waiting to hear back from Comp Cams and Jegs on that and a couple other things.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:21:00 PM by jholmes217 »
Jeff
Olympia WA. area

My427stang

• View Profile
Well the 282S is actually marginally milder than the 280H.  The reason is, as you subtract lash from the solid cam, action at the valve is a bit less than the hydraulic

Additionally, most have seen better RPM capability with the solids than they have the hydraulics.  So you win on both ends

That being said, these aren't critical issues, but what the Comp tech told you really doesn't make sense, which is not uncommon either.  Either way I wouldn't sweat it both of those cams are sweethearts in a 428.

A third option would be to can the Comp idea and go with a Bullet or Oregon cam, in my 445 I used a Bullet solid grind, very similar to a 282S, but with a wider LSA to tone down the overlap a little in a heavy truck.  It worked very well too, I replaced a 270H and I gained power everywhere

Just bench racing though, a difference in a few degrees of cam timing isn't going to change the build significantly.

Also, I seriously doubt you will need a vacuum canister.  Set initial timing to 14 BTDC, set up the distributor to have 36 degrees or so at 2800.  The increased initial will keep vacuum where you want it to be.  A second option would be to advance the cam to 102 or 104 ICL, early cam timing brings idle vacuum up a little higher,  but I really don't think it will be needed with a 428. 

302 Fords and 350 Chevies may get a little lumpy with a 280 degree cam, that could be why they warned you, but a 428 is a different animal
Ross

jholmes217

• View Profile
OK.  You have me curious now.  I will call Oregon Cam and Delta Cam (just up in Tacoma from me.) today and see what they say.
Jeff
Olympia WA. area

turbohunter

• View Profile
Rather see the little guy get the business anyway. :)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon