Author Topic: Choosing the right camshaft for '69 mach 1  (Read 6044 times)

Mach S Code

• View Profile
Choosing the right camshaft for '69 mach 1
« on: June 04, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
Hi, after driving my Mach 1 for 23 years with the same cam it is time to replace it. I like the cam but for some reason there are no identifying numbers on it,  I am sure cams have come a long way in that time and I am wondering which cam to install. A few specs on my engine are:
Bored out .060 ( due to needing a couple of sleeves)
10:1 trw flat top pistons
Edelbrock streetmaster single plane intake
at the time I am using the GT exhaust manifolds but going to headers
This is hooked up to a C6 with a low 1st gear, I use the car for daily driving but i would like a lopey idle with all the power I can get. SO if anyone has some ideas Please let me know, I am just waiting on the cam before I can finish the rebuild. Thanks, Bill

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing the right camshaft for '69 mach 1
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
What converter and rear gear?
You may be a tad over 10 to 1 if this is a 428?
What type of cam? Hyd, Solid, Hyd roller, Solid roller ?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:32:41 PM »
If you don't mind upgrading the valvetrain a hydraulic roller cam is the way to go.  More area under the lift curve, so it will have good manners but still a lot more torque and horsepower.  Cam will be around $300, lifters around $400, and you will probably need valvesprings, adjustable rockers (if you don't have them already), good rockershafts with end stands, and maybe pushrods.  As Howie said the particular cam recommendation will depend a lot on the gear and converter.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:27 AM »
If it is a power brake and automatic, I have one I really like.  Jay is right........hydraulic roller is the only way to go.  I have a custom grind that I use for power brakes, low or no stall converter, heavy tow, etc.  It makes plenty of vacuum, fairly lopey idle when it is cold.  When it warms up, it will sound much milder but still "counts 'em off".  You could email me.......captcj   at    hughes  dot net.  May be the weekend before I can get back to you.
Blair Patrick

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
I need to pick a cam soon for my 428 Cobra Jet.  Due to low budget, I'm staying hydraulic.  I'm eyeing the Crower Power Beast, Comp Magnum 270, Comp 268, and Comp Mutha Thumpr.  I wasn't even considering the Mutha Thumpr until two weeks ago when I talked to a guy who is running one because I assumed it was a "all show, no go."  Well the guy running one says he thinks it runs better with the Mutha Thumpr than with a Magnum 270H, which is what he had in the car prior.

My build is a 69 Q Code 428 Mach1 with 4 speed, 3:50 gears, Streetmaster Intake, FPP roller rockers, stock heads with minor clean up work, and flat top pistons with relief fly cuts for valves.  Engine is at the machine shop now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:48:04 PM by jholmes217 »
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:08:28 PM »
I agree with Jay and Blair , and by the way im upgrading to hydraulic roller as we speak , a comp roller it s  232-240 @ .50 and .559/.563 on the lift on a 112 lobe it works with power brakes . you have a 4 speed and 3.50 s so don t be scared of a little bit of cam , and if you go with a roller you wont be sorry , i see you have roller rocker s already so i say go for it . Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 05:32:02 AM »
I need to pick a cam soon for my 428 Cobra Jet.  Due to low budget, I'm staying hydraulic.  I'm eyeing the Crower Power Beast, Comp Magnum 270, Comp 268, and Comp Mutha Thumpr.  I wasn't even considering the Mutha Thumpr until two weeks ago when I talked to a guy who is running one because I assumed it was a "all show, no go."  Well the guy running one says he thinks it runs better with the Mutha Thumpr than with a Magnum 270H, which is what he had in the car prior.

My build is a 69 Q Code 428 Mach1 with 4 speed, 3:50 gears, Streetmaster Intake, FPP roller rockers, stock heads with minor clean up work, and flat top pistons with relief fly cuts for valves.  Engine is at the machine shop now.

This may be a bit of a thread steal, but it is a good example when not to down cam.
Your completely setup to go solid and it costs the same for you to go solid.
You have the rockers.
I would start looking at the 270S and go UP from there. Or you could look at a bit of spice from Crane or ?
You want go and show GO SOLID.
Can't beat the clicking at cruise night. jmho

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »
Have you guys figured out a way to get those Hyd Roller Lifters to Rev? Not that I should mention this but I just saw a 396 Chev with a Hyd Roller revving to 7,000 rpms.... :o
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

machoneman

• View Profile
Bob Maag

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
Sure, read this back-to-back test:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1109_hydraulic_lifter_install_solid_roller_power/

Wonder how many years it will be before Comp releases an FE version of that short-travel hydraulic roller lifter?   ::)

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »

This may be a bit of a thread steal, but it is a good example when not to down cam.
Your completely setup to go solid and it costs the same for you to go solid.
You have the rockers.
I would start looking at the 270S and go UP from there. Or you could look at a bit of spice from Crane or ?
You want go and show GO SOLID.
Can't beat the clicking at cruise night. jmho

Actually, great point.  I need to re-look that.
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area