Author Topic: B B M HEADS  (Read 43569 times)

SE2839

Re: B B M HEADS
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 02:32:38 AM »
Congrats bn69stang on the excellent numbers on your new heads, Rob seems to be an excellent guy to work with. I hope that mine which should be completed in the next week or so will flow as nicely too. The valve springs on my current C6AE-R heads valve float begining at around 5800 so the stiffer springs and tool steel retainers should also provide added benefit along with the improved flow and better heart shaped combustion chambers and milled for 71ccs. Looking forwards to the installed SOP experience, hoping to see around a +/-70 HP gain it's too bad that I will not have them installed before the Meltdown Drags in Byron Il next weekend.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:38:58 AM by SE2839 »

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 04:20:53 AM »
Thanks  SE2839 , im looking forward to the change as well , i went with tool steel retainers and hyd roller and a bigger carb and i am eager to feel the difference , should be about 75 hp range as well .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
Congrats bn69stang on the excellent numbers on your new heads, Rob seems to be an excellent guy to work with. I hope that mine which should be completed in the next week or so will flow as nicely too. The valve springs on my current C6AE-R heads valve float begining at around 5800 so the stiffer springs and tool steel retainers should also provide added benefit along with the improved flow and better heart shaped combustion chambers and milled for 71ccs. Looking forwards to the installed SOP experience, hoping to see around a +/-70 HP gain it's too bad that I will not have them installed before the Meltdown Drags in Byron Il next weekend.

Ed,

Is your engine going back on the dyno before you install it? It would be nice to see back to back numbers from your current build to the BBM heads. If I remember correctly your C6AE-R heads were prepped to be similar to out of the box Ed heads right? If your HP predictions are right that should put you around 530 hp?

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »
I too plan on putting mine on the dyno , i did nt dyno the first time around and about all i have to go off is Jay s book so , and i have decided not to change the rear gear until drive the car , and not change everything at once  so heads and cam , then carb , then rear gear ?  ? .. sorry im not Ed   but wanted to add my 2 cents   lol   Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

SE2839

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
I have thought about putting it on a chassis dyno for some before and after results but I have not made that decision as of yet. There is a chassis dyno about 50 miles from me but I do not know of any engine dyno's in this area and I have not decided whether to pull the engine to work off of a stand or bust my knuckles within the confines of the fenders. The C6AE-R heads had just some very mild porting and bowl blending done, they were never flow tested but I have a friend (locally) with a flow bench and so do plan to flow both on his bench just to compare those numbers and since I will have Rob's data I can compensate the data for the iron removed.

I have based my expectations upon a build similar to my own that Barry had done for a gentleman named Patrick in Germany. That engine had the same bottom end (445 stroke crank, rods, pistons and cam) but with prepped Edelbrock heads and a Victor intake. I do not recall the carb but in any event it had dynoed at 531 horse power  Barry had posted the results along with the accompanying video. I actually feel based upon Jay's testing in TGIC that with my dual quad intake and carbs I should have slightly more power with the heads being even but I also expect that the BBM heads will marginally outperform the ported Eds as well and so I'm hoping that I will actually see closer to 540. To be certain it is all just bench racing a this point though.  8)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:55:33 PM by SE2839 »

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
Ed  what are the specs on your cam ? , have you try d a bigger carb .. Bud

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
Oops my bad i see your you have 2  4s ... need glasses  lol   Bud

SE2839

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »
The cam is a Comp custom ground for Barry- 287/293 Advertised, 236/240 @.050, .594/.598 Lift, 112° Lobe Separation/ 104° Intake Centerline.

The carbs are Barry's QFT 750's for the FE. Never needed any more carb than that but I suppose I could play with the jetting or the secondary springs if it were ever warrated. have to see what the new heads make it do.

The C6AE-Rs were the original heads from the Comet, the rest of the original motor had been rebuilt and is wrapped in plastic the car will never go back to stock at this point so I have been kicking around the idea of marrying it all back together in the same configuration as was originally laid out in the Comet which started me on this path of insanity and dropping it into a '63 Fairlane I picked up around 2007 that has been stored for almost 30 years and is just taking up space.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:55:11 PM by SE2839 »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 05:43:45 AM »
I seem to remember that when the engine was built the plan was to go to the track a couple times each year just to see what it would run...  What is the best ET so far?

SE2839

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »
That is still the plan, I will be hitting the track for the second time this year at this weekends Meltdown Drags in Byron Il and may make one more go before the end of the season. I had done a bunch of suspension work to the rear to improve traction, added a Gear Vendor unit and had changed gearing this spring (I have the parts for the front end but have not put them on yet). When I went to the track I had my kick down linkage adjusted too tight and had to let out for shift from 1st to 2nd and again to 3rd managing an 8.3 in the 1/8 with a 1.6 60'. I expect to do much better this weekend with not having to let off till I have crossed the end.

SE2839

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »
Bud, How are you coming along with your upgrades? Which cam did you end up with? Got a dyno session planned? Looking forward to hearing how the heads are working out as your build comes together. Ed

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »
Hey Ed i am still a few parts out on starting this re vamp , i want to have all the parts i need before i take it apart . The cam is a custom comp  232-240 @ .50  .559/.563 on a 112 lobe . This motor has been together for about 3500 miles maybe , stock out of the box Eds and a small hydraulic cam 228-235 @ 50 .538 on a 112 lobe . I am also going to a TKO 600 from a 500 , going to 3.89 from 3.50 s , and going to put my holley hp 850 on as well . I plan on putting it on the dyno , i am looking forward to a seat of the pants difference and would really like to see a solid 70 to 75 hp gain .. The first edition of this motor was nt dyno d , but after reading Jay s , Barry s books i wanted to change some things , to get 500 hp out of 435 inchs is only 1.15 hp per inch , 520 is 1.19 it should be doable somewhere in that range im thinking .. Bud

SE2839

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »
Bud, that is a lot of change to take place and you certainly should see some dramatic change occur. That said my head swap may provide the more comparable (for now) before and after results though it will likely not include dyno data the time slips should give some useful information save for track conditions and air quality differences. Perhaps another book by Jay to accompany TGIC will be in order comparing heads used on the same standard and stroker mules. Maybe even a box set to include volumes on cam  selections and blocks as well as another has already suggested.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »
Yeah Ed i agree with you , I could have went bigger on the cam i guess .. next motor  lol  and i would love run 2- 4 bbls  , but i love the way the shaker scoop looks . I think most of all i am looking forward to the tranny change - the tko 500 had to deep a 1st gear , even with 3.50s and 2nd thru 4th needed more gear to me , and 5th was only good if you were going  90-100 mph . I have sure spent some money this summer .. Bud

SE2839

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »
I hear you on the money aspect. I keep lying to myself saying that this next big item will be the last, front and rear suspension was this years project and the gear vendor and heads were on the docket for next year but I got impatient. lol