Author Topic: Need advice on new Clutch plate /kit  (Read 10820 times)

sixty3

• View Profile
Re: Need advice on new Clutch plate /kit
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »
Got Brent working on it now and yes it was a bronze bushing.  Is it more for alingment that anything else?  Wondering how a roller bearing will help? I'm cutting my teeth on manuals, so forgive the uneducated questions.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 07:33:44 AM »
Got Brent working on it now and yes it was a bronze bushing.  Is it more for alingment that anything else?  Wondering how a roller bearing will help? I'm cutting my teeth on manuals, so forgive the uneducated questions.

The bushing both supports the front of the input shaft from bending loads and allows the free spinning of the shaft when the clutch is in. The bushing should not have dropped out; this shows damage as noted earlier as the clutch dust does eat up the bearing. The sealed roller bearing is pretty much impervious to clutch dust and is a definite upgrade. Yet, the OEM bronze is fine as millions of miles have been piled up by OEM Fords (and other makes). Just don't smoke the clutch!

Btw, the pics look horrible. Unless a shop can machine the flywheel out of "blue" heat/scorch marks, I'd pitch everything inside the bellhousing. JMO.   
Bob Maag

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 07:48:11 AM »
I have run both Ram and McLeod, Ram is cheaper, but McLeod offers more choices and I like their product a bit better.

However, if it were me, I'd go with an aftermarket flywheel and a new clutch and pressure plate.  Old flywheels can come apart and you'll tear things up badly.  You could have yours resurfaced, but subtract the machining cost from the cost of one from Brent and you'll' see the leg, foot and floor insurance is cheap money.

I run a Ram Musclecar series in my truck from Summit and it works well, but I'd talk to Brent about his street packages, the Musclecar version is a cheaper line and although decent for my 445 truck, if you run them hard now and then, I'd go one step up. 

If the new pilot bushing fits tight, I wouldn't sweat it, put a new one in and go. 

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

sixty3

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »
The flywheel was a new Billet steel FE flywheel when we installed the TKO.  Picture may look worse than actually is.  I know how important this is, so will take precausions.  We plan on hitting it with a DA sander to clean up what little metal on metal there is ( only one area ) also plan on taking a straight edge and checking to make sure its not warped.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
I'm not so sure I'd want to use a DA. Any little variation in depth will lead to chatter, and that's impossible to control with a hand tool. Machining is always best.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »
+1 on staying away from the D/A!  :o

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »
I agree to have it turned/ground.  The DA wont hurt anything, but it doesn't really DO anything either other than clean it up a little.

Since it's new, it can be cut a bunch of times, get some fresh metal, then the next clutch can bed properly
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
I will need some advice on a new flywheel , and clutch set up as well for my 434 inch 428 , i have McLeod now want one thatb is long lasting , durable ...Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..