Author Topic: The Road to Drag Week 2014 - May 18  (Read 19337 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: The Road to Drag Week 2014 - May 18
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »
It doesn't take much curve to get decent chain control though. 

BTW - On that Nissan, the tensioner is on the slack side (passenger side)  The elliptical guide on that side has a bottom pivot, and an oil-fed piston presses the top into the chain.

- Bill

Completely agree on that comment, Bill. It doesn't take much. When you watch a chain at speed you can see it coming off the gear and wanting to continue in an outward motion, even when it's being "pulled". That causes irregular movement and plays havoc with the timing and really stresses the chain at the same time. edit: You can easily see this with a timing light and a worn out timing chain as the timing jumps around on the damper. And that's on a VERY short chain compared to the SOHCs chain!

That Nissan using a pivoted guide as a tensioner is a pretty good idea. It would be much easier to fabricate than an actual tensioner arm. I do believe that controlling that chain would have some pretty big benefits in an SOHC. I'm not convinced that the old thought of the chain "stretching" at speed was the cause of the cams timing being moved around, but rather the chains centrifugal force and generating uncontrolled slack in areas was probably more likely the cause. It would be interesting to see high speed video of that chain in action.

And Jay, I had time to look for that video of the valve head and could not find it again. It was not on YouTube, but a high end engine sight that documented reasons for advancement in valvetrains. Coil springs are nearly impossible to control without a damping device, and that technology just hasn't been seen yet.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:47:14 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

rockittsled

• 1976 F-250 390 4v C6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
Question about Drag week itself.  Is there a public list of the entrants and classes they are entered in?  I was looking at a couple of older Hot Rod mags that had articles/interviews with the "Street Outlaws" out of Ok and there was mention of them showing up in '09 and failing to make it out of the parking lot and also wanting to show up in '14.  Is there any way to find out if they are coming without wading through forums and flaming?  Also is Larry Larson showing up this year?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »
I don't think there is a public list, although some of the winners from last year that are attending this year have been "outed" on Hot Rod's website.  There has never been a public list of the competitors in past years.  I sure hope Larry Larson is going to show up this year, but I don't know if he will...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

TomP

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »
Cool stuff. The SOHC is sure a complicated piece and I can imagine if these had been installed in hundreds of Galaxies to be legal for Nascar and were easily or cheaply found used they would have been real problems for the average doofus with coolant leaking into the oil and oil leaking on the ground. Having been a race only item saved the reputation.
 Probably also a good thing their professional racing usage ended when it did to leave enough parts alive. Besides can you imagine fuel teams stripping one of these down to the block and rebuilding it in just over an hour?

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »
Ha...knowing Ford it would have been a sadly de-tuned SOHC for the street.  Perish the thought.
Michael