Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775971 times)

ec164

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #1305 on: February 01, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »
I'm excited for you Jason, Jay will get you turned around and that Bad A** Mustang will be screaming this summer!...............Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 01, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
Thanks Al.  Looking forward to it!!!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: February 01, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
Cobracammer I am glad that you are getting help with your SOHC, Jay has put information on hear that is helping me to, like the way the cam bearings go in. Thanks Jay. Leny Mason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #1308 on: February 01, 2016, 07:03:10 PM »
Happy to help, Leny, the more running cammers out there, the better! :D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 01, 2016, 11:34:13 PM »
Sorry to hear the seats were below the chambers where the pitting was taking place.  That is unusual in itself.  Also, on the camshaft bearing, you could use a carpet knife to cut away the space for the gear.  The first time someone told me to use a carpet knife to chamfer a rod bearing to give more radius clearance, I thought they were bonkers.  But I tried it, and it works as smooth as butter if you hold the blade at a near 90* angle to the bearing.  That would give you more area to keep the oil on the camshaft journal.  Hope to hear that SOHC is healthy, soon.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 02, 2016, 05:43:24 PM »
OK, just heard good news from Jay.  The cam shells for the heads are on their way.  Hopefully by the end of the week (or early next week) they will have arrived.  Given that I have had time now after our move and more importantly since Jay is doing the hard part of rebuilding the engine, I have been thinking (brooding really) over the small items that plagued me during my build.  Just thought I would spitball a few just to see them written down.

First of all....  My favorite is the engine cooling.  After buying and trying different fans (with different clearance issues), the car still seemed to run a bit hot just sitting still.  As was mentioned a few time by members on here, as the car was moving, the temp dropped substantially.  However, I hated that I was up in the 200's while at idle.  So because the engine bay is so small and tight, I took advice and had the headers ceramic coated.  This should cut down on a little heat.  This will also help protect the headers from rust.  What I did find interesting was that the ceramic coater said to be careful since the coating can easily be scratched.  Is ceramic coating supposed to be so brittle?  I was thinking (since they are already coated for protection) I can then use a thermal heat wrap on top of it....  This would cut heat down even further and protect the tubes from scratches and chips.  My only issue is that the tubes go in (and come out) 1 at a time and in a specific order.  With thermal wrap on them, they will be bound together and will not be able to be removed as easy without unwrapping each one....  Then again, how often will I have to remove the headers without removing the engine?  I was thinking about the cammer and the engine compartment and think that the headers could stay on the engine if it needed to be lifted out ever....  this then means that I could install the headers on the engine while I have it out of the car, and wrap them all as 1 (instead of individually).  Not really sure on the wrap, and again, not a huge deal in the scheme of things.

Second is the fans!  I have a set of spal fans (13") which came with my aluminum shroud.  These were straig blade and didn't move as much as the "s" blades.  So I ordered 2 "s" blad Spal fans.  They moved a lot more air (1777 each), but then the motors were bigger and blocked the power steering belt and rubben on the alternator pulley (barely).  even with these stronger spal fans, we were in the 200's while at idle.  Given the fact that when Jay pulled this engine apart, there were a lot of areas not getting oil....  I wonder if once oil flow has been corrected if the engine block itself will run cooler and the smaller spal fans (straight blade) would work?  This would allow me to put the after market fan shroud with the smaller 13" fans back on and not have any clearance issues.  The other thought (which I don't know why it didn't come to me earlier) is just buying a 16" 2000 CFM pusher Spal fan.  I can leave the 2 13" spals on the shroud and have them automatically come on then the car is running.  I can then run the 16" pusher Spal fan on the front of the Radiator through the FAST EFI computer.  That way if the engine gets to a preset temp (even with the smaller fans) the computer will kick on the larger push fan.....  I like this idea because I would not have to move the radiator forward at all.  In front of the radiator on a 2005 Saleen there has to be between 1 and 1.5 feet of empty space.  Perfect for a "Big ol' fan".

3rd is the wiring.  I wanted to clean up the wiring in the engine bay before dropping the engine back in.  Every time I went out there (a few months ago) to try and attempt...  I just fiddled a little and gave up.  The thing is, because I took the 4.6 Modular out, there are a TON of wires that I do not need... and they are all wrapped in a python thick cable that snakes all around the engine bay.  Wires for each fuel injector, cam sensors, crank trigger sensor, Blah-Blah.  After doing some reading, Its basically the engine management computer (for the modular engine) that needed to be removed.  However, wrapped in that huge cable is other necessary wires I don't want to screw up.  Its got airbags, ABS brakes, Ground wires for EVERYTHING, the alternator wiring, etc.

I saw on another forum where a brave (and supremely talented person) unwrapped each cable to wires.  Then with the schematic in hand, extended what needed extending, and removed (down to pulling the pigtail and removing the pin) anything he did not need.  The after picture was an immaculate engine compartment where he even relocated the Bussed electrical center out of sight.  This would be great, but I am not that skilled.  So as of this moment, I will just try and protect the wires from the heat of the headers and leave everything there for now.

I also wanted to mention another thing.  Putting this transmission in after the engine was in was a huge pain in the A$$.  I had to try and use the huge torque wrench with every extension on it to reach some of those top bolts.  Even though I torqued each bolt to the exact value stated in the instructions, when I removed the engine to send to Jay, I found 1 or 2 bolts that were loose.  This could have been a disaster I am sure on this engine.  I wanted to install the transmission on the engine and install as 1.  Again (much like the headers) it will allow me tons of room to get things right.  I wanted to install lock washers on each bolt (no bolts or hardware came with my transmission package, so I didn't think to use lock washers).  I also wanted to use Locktite on all of the bolts.  With the weight of this engine and transmission combined, I am not sure I can use the engine crane properly.  I am thinking I may have to somehow lower the front of the car (remove the wheels and put it down on small jack stands) and then Jack the back of the car up as High as I can get it on those 12ton tall jack stands?  This way I can slide it all in as 1 unit?  This again would make my life much easier and I would be sure that the headers are torqued and wrapped properly as well as the transmission bolts are all torqued and locked in to spec.

Again, just wanted to get these thoughts out and in writing, so please excuse any grammatical errors or ramblings above. 

Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 02, 2016, 06:52:39 PM »
On the cooling issue. I'm not a fan (some pun intended) of putting a fan on the front of the rad.
All it does is block the natural air flow you have from traveling at speed.
Part of your hot issue was the poor oil cooling effect so with Jay's redo you will naturally see
a cooler running engine.
I would stay with the biggest fan/fans you can behind the rad and give it a test run when it is back in.
I would hold off on the header wrap for now. You will see a cooler running engine when you get it back.

As for the wire clean up. Stay motivated. It's a top level bad ass ride.

I like to put the engine and trans together and then put it in. Not sure on your lifting device but
There are ways to do it.
To dab of Loctite on some bolts never hurts. 

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 02, 2016, 08:25:46 PM »
Thanks.  The header wrap was just mainly to protectthe ceramic coating ( because the shop said it scratches easy)  I am not really wanting to install it.  As for the cooling, thats my thoughts exactly.  My thinking was all of that metal on metal was making heaps of heat.  Original 2 straight blade spal fans should work perfectly! 

I have a cherry picker for the engine.  Hard to get the reach needed with the weight of the engine and trans together, but I really want to install it together, so Ill find a way even if I have to rent  gantry crane. 

The electrical will get done, but later...... Sort of a last bug in the project.... And most likely by a professional  hahaha
Jason

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 02, 2016, 09:21:01 PM »
Idk if its true but i have been told by a local plating shop that "true" ceramic coatings fo high temp applacations get more durable after several heat cycle's.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 02, 2016, 09:25:53 PM »
That would be great if true.  Ill try and find some info on it.  Thanks!
Jason

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 02, 2016, 09:35:26 PM »
I was really wanting to ceramic coat a intake manifold but I'd hate to think t wouldn't hold up well. Regular powder coating hods up really well if done properly so maybe I should go that route instead..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 02, 2016, 09:58:34 PM »
It would seem, from reading, that ceramic coatings are not "fully cured" until after a few heat cycles of 1 hour each at idle or driving slowly.  They definately do not suggest heat wrap on top of ceramic coatings  lol.  Good to know
Jason

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 03, 2016, 10:42:15 AM »
Thanks.  The header wrap was just mainly to protectthe ceramic coating ( because the shop said it scratches easy)  I am not really wanting to install it.  As for the cooling, thats my thoughts exactly.  My thinking was all of that metal on metal was making heaps of heat.  Original 2 straight blade spal fans should work perfectly! 

I have a cherry picker for the engine.  Hard to get the reach needed with the weight of the engine and trans together, but I really want to install it together, so Ill find a way even if I have to rent  gantry crane. 

The electrical will get done, but later...... Sort of a last bug in the project.... And most likely by a professional  hahaha
Long before ceramic coatings were available, the hot set-up was to super clean steel tube headers with acetone or lacquer thinner and them paint with high heat white VHT spray paint. Since they were white and subject to greasy paws and also easily scratched, we'd wrap them in heavy clear plastic drop cloths  (any Lowes or Home Depot's paint department ) with some duct tape to protect them during installation. Remove before firing and voila!   
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 03, 2016, 04:24:47 PM »
Definitely no on the header wrap. All that stuff does is cause headers to rust out faster. If they were stainless, you could get away with it, but they're not. Ceramic (which is brittle by nature, once fully cured) coated headers can still get rust oxidation on the surface from particles in the air. The wrap will only serve to trap that along with moisture, and they will rust badly over time. Some light, non-abrasive cleaner will usually clean any surface oxidation right off. And sure, anything will scratch, but if you're careful it won't be an issue. Just don't whack on them with a hammer if you can avoid it.

On that wiring...that would be an exercise in extreme patience. Once you unwrap one of those harnesses, they look like a plate of spaghetti dropped on the floor. Once I drop a plate of spaghetti on the floor, I throw it away ;)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 03, 2016, 04:31:26 PM »
Hahahahah  I love the spaghetti analogy!!!  Priceless pearl of wisdom!  LOL
Jason