Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775944 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #495 on: February 17, 2015, 01:43:12 PM »
Yea I mean the wrap is cheap.  After getting them ceramic coated, I may use the wrap on top of that as well.  :0)  Heading over to the shop on Saturday to talk to the guys.  Also going to a hydraulic shop with my P/S line to have them extend it with new line so it will reach my 60's era PS pump
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 18, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
STUCK AGAIN!  lol

I got my belts finally from Napa online after 10 days in transit lol.  Neither one fits.  Sucks.  I took a piece of rope and wrapped it around the pulleys at the smallest setting as well as the farthest.  Then I measured the rope on the floor with a tape measure to get my min and max..... went online and ordered a belt that fell as close to the middle of each as I could.  Didn't work of course.

The alternator belt was almost the right size,  Maybe 1" smaller (or even 3/4 " smaller) would have been perfect.

The Power steering pump wasn't even close.  Needed maybe 1.5" larger.  The problem is that There are not many choices to select from.  Does anyone know where I can get a larger selection of belts??  Maybe like a depot website or something?  The width that seemed to work was 0.375" and the angle of the V was 36 degrees.

I need to get these belts on before I can do the final install of the fan/Shroud setup and fill her up with coolant.

Found a place called Vbeltsupply.com  I ordered 7 belts at various sizes at the pitch.  Since they were only $4.00, I wont feel that bad.  I would say the trickiest one is the PS belt because the only 63' Power steering assembly I have doesn't get much of a swing.  I think with the right size belt, you have to unbolt the bracket, put the belt on, then reinstall the "Pivot" bolt then tilt it back the 1/2" of swing it has to get a little tension.  Not too sure but we will see when they come.

Jason
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:25:09 AM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 18, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
I wouldn't use the wrap. As mentioned before, it will trap moisture and cause the headers to rust out even with the ceramic coating on them. Putting some heat reflective material on the firewall, floorboard or any other key area would be a far better choice.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #498 on: February 18, 2015, 02:16:41 PM »
STUCK AGAIN!  lol

I got my belts finally from Napa online after 10 days in transit lol.  Neither one fits.  Sucks.  I took a piece of rope and wrapped it around the pulleys at the smallest setting as well as the farthest.  Then I measured the rope on the floor with a tape measure to get my min and max..... went online and ordered a belt that fell as close to the middle of each as I could.  Didn't work of course.

The alternator belt was almost the right size,  Maybe 1" smaller (or even 3/4 " smaller) would have been perfect.

The Power steering pump wasn't even close.  Needed maybe 1.5" larger.  The problem is that There are not many choices to select from.  Does anyone know where I can get a larger selection of belts??  Maybe like a depot website or something?  The width that seemed to work was 0.375" and the angle of the V was 36 degrees.

I need to get these belts on before I can do the final install of the fan/Shroud setup and fill her up with coolant.

Found a place called Vbeltsupply.com  I ordered 7 belts at various sizes at the pitch.  Since they were only $4.00, I wont feel that bad.  I would say the trickiest one is the PS belt because the only 63' Power steering assembly I have doesn't get much of a swing.  I think with the right size belt, you have to unbolt the bracket, put the belt on, then reinstall the "Pivot" bolt then tilt it back the 1/2" of swing it has to get a little tension.  Not too sure but we will see when they come.

Jason

Dude, you know that there are auto parts stores around, right?  ;-)  You don't have to order everything online, just hop in the car and have your belts in a few minutes!
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 18, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
Was thinking the exact same thing.

[/quote]

Dude, you know that there are auto parts stores around, right?  ;-)  You don't have to order everything online, just hop in the car and have your belts in a few minutes!
[/quote]
Mike

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 19, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »
The autoparts store doesn't seem to have the right lengths.  I bough a few already with no luck.  I found a place online that sells belts for $3 each and they come in just about every single size.  I purchased a range of sizes 7 or so.... and will try each one.  Autozone was useless   and Napa is where I got the belts I have and they jumped in sizes wildly  :0/

Wanted to get a better picture of what I have left to do before Im "Done", and came up with this list.  I need to take like a week off of work and just get the little stuff done.  Its mostly just little things, but its these things that are keeping me from finishing.  Anyone in Florida that would like to come help me knock this stuff out?  LOL

Alternator belt- Ordered
Power steering belt- Ordered
Lower radiator hose- Ordered
Fill trans with fluid (supplied by Modern Driveline)
Wire the electric fans into the harness plug from OEN fan
Install dual fan/shroud
Install OEM fan shroud (modified) over the aluminum shroud (for the mounting points for the Coolant and PS reservoirs)
Install upper radiator hose- Ordered
Install reservoirs into radiator shroud
Install front cover to Radiator/Grill
Bring OEM P/S hose to Davie to get a custom one built
Lengthen the 2 wires on the CHT sender so it reaches the harness
Pull the Fuel pump power wire through the firewall and attach to battery terminal
Purchase Battery
Check Fuel system for leaks and then reinstall back seat
Bring to Coral Springs for custom headers
Install MSD 6 ignition box
Install Throttle return bracket(s) with larder studs purchased from Jegs (and throttle linkage that came with dual quad kit)
Install the wiring harness for FAST EFI
Build resistor (designed by UM professor) to go between RMP feed and harness for the tachometer
Start car!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:31:10 AM by cobracammer »
Jason

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 19, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
The last one will be the most fun, only second to driving it. ;-)
Mike

R-WEST

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 19, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »
Pull the Fuel pump power wire through the firewall and attach to battery terminal
You mean, with an inline fuse, or to a fused terminal strip, right?  ???

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2015, 11:16:43 AM »
Sorry, The power wire for the Fuel pumps comes straight from the DivisionX harness.  The power wire runs to the battery, and there are assorted fuses and relays along the harness.  This was the part where I had to splice into the Fuel Control Module in the trunk as well as splice into the old plug for the sender at the hat.   

The harness (as so it was sold to me) is supposed to give a more reliable power source to the Dual pumps as well as the correct 6 pin plug for the fuel hat.  It needed to be spliced into a few areas.  The fuel control module in the trunk was used so It could be spliced into the fuel intertia switch in the Saleen.  This is an Ign. Power source  that also shuts off the fuel pumps upon any sort of impact.

The other area of splicing was 2 wires that lead to the dash fuel gauge.  I then ran the power wires through the interior of the car, behind the passenger side kick panel and to a rubber grommet in the firewall.  I just need to pull it through that grommet and link it up to the correct battery terminal.  Again, a small thing, but another small thing on the list!

Last night another delivery from Jegs.

I was able to install the upper radiator hose (a flexible metal unit from jegs).  This kit was great because the water neck coming out of the cammer is like twice as big as the inlet to the Saleen radiator.  The kit came with a variety of adapters and after selecting the correct ones, the Cammer is now partially connected to the radiator.

I will have the bottom radiator hose by Saturday (coming from Summit racing).  I also picket up some spark plug wire seperators just to make neat the tangle of wires.  Got those installed last night.  Wires are still a bit long, but at least organized.

I had some $ left over on a gift card from Jegs, so I got E3 spark plugs that are replacements for the ones I have there now.  They are supposed to be more fuel efficient and have diamond shape to the tip.  This means you don't need to check the gap on the plugs and they create a stronger spark.

I was looking at Jegs and Taylor has Hemi well caps.  I was curious if these are large enough to cover the Cammer wells.  They are like $40.00 but if they fit, I would love to get them.  Jay- do you know if these would fit?  Are Hemi and Cammer spark plug well tubes the same diameter?
Jason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2015, 03:52:07 PM »
The only Hemi rubber plugs I've tried didn't fit; they were too big.  Best to try to find some of the right ones if you can.  There was a guy on ebay under the seller name Yellow Engine Service who was making reproductions, and offering them for sale periodically.  I haven't seen him lately, but haven't been looking either.  I bought a set about a year ago from him, and they are pretty nice, so keep your eyes out for those...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 20, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »
Thanks Jay.  I actually contacted him through ebay, but when I asked if he would sell a set, he wrote back how large an order I wanted.  When I said I am only in need of 1 set, he stopped communication  LOL.  I keep him on my radar and look periodically.   ;D

Thanks, I didn't want to purchase the hemi covers if there was a chance they wouldn't fit.

Jason
Jason

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 20, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »
On Jay's recommendation I purchased a set of the plug wire boot covers from them almost 2 years ago. I didn't go through ebay, although I did see the ad there. Maybe he is out and needs to get enough orders together to make another run? I also seem to remember having to call back as he seemed a little confused taking the order over the phone. They did ship them promptly though and they looked good. I'd try again. Here is the contact info I have on file:

Yellow Engine Service
4705 Martin St.
Fort Worth, TX. 76119

Phone: 817-429-3208

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:27:20 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 22, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »
Thanks Jay.  I actually contacted him through ebay, but when I asked if he would sell a set, he wrote back how large an order I wanted.  When I said I am only in need of 1 set, he stopped communication  LOL.  I keep him on my radar and look periodically.   ;D

Thanks, I didn't want to purchase the hemi covers if there was a chance they wouldn't fit.

Jason
Hi You should look at Buick nail head wire boots, and they are cheep worth a try,  I am trying remember how big they are I know the Hemi ones are to big, I used some off an old Cammer wires, but I think the Buick will work. Leny Mason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 23, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
I called the Yellowengine place again.  He said they are $200.00 a set and that he should have more next month.  I will try and snag a set from him as soon as they are available.

Got a few tedious things done this weekend.  I am going to try and keep track of it with this list so I can get this done.  All these people driving their cars around down here because of the nice weather and mine is sadly sitting in a dark garage.....

-Alternator belt- Ordered
-Power steering belt- Ordered
-Lower radiator hose- Ordered
-Fill trans with fluid (supplied by Modern Driveline)
-Wire the electric fans into the harness plug from OEN fan
-Install dual fan/shroud
-Install OEM fan shroud (modified) over the aluminum shroud (for the mounting points for the Coolant and PS reservoirs)
-Install upper radiator hose- Ordered
-Install reservoirs into radiator shroud
-Install front cover to Radiator/Grill
-Bring OEM P/S hose to Davie to get a custom one built
-Lengthen the 2 wires on the CHT sender so it reaches the harness
-Pull the Fuel pump power wire through the firewall and attach to battery terminal
-Purchase Battery
-Check Fuel system for leaks and then reinstall back seat
-Bring to Coral Springs for custom headers
-Install MSD 6 ignition box
-Install Throttle return bracket(s) with larder studs purchased from Jegs (and throttle linkage that came with dual quad kit)
-Install the wiring harness for FAST EFI
-Build resistor (designed by UM professor) to go between RMP feed and harness for the tachometer
-Start car!!!!!
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 24, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
Just for fun......

Someone wanted to trade a Factory 5 Cobra with a supercharged Shebly GT500 4.6 for the Cammer Saleen.   ::)

Now if it were a Kirkham.........  Done deal!  LOL
Jason