Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775901 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #330 on: October 21, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
On another subject, I contacted the builder that has experience in this swap.  The Ford FE engines used a coolant temperature sender to send a signal to the gauge.  Starting in 2005, Ford stated using CHT senders rather than the coolant temp sender.  CHT are Cylinder Head Temp senders and are installed into the passenger side head toward the rear of the engine in the Valley area of the block.  Tony (the gentlemen who has done this project before) said that I can use the CHT sender in place of the coolant temp sender.  I just need to find a brass adapter and screw it into the 427 SOHC's intake manifold so its in the coolant.  Interesting..... but apparently ford did this because the CHT registers the temperature even when there is no coolant where as the Coolant temp sensor from days of Ol'e are not quite as accurate when they are not submersed in coolant (i.e. air pockets in the coolant or out of coolant).  Either way, good to have you all and Tony for bouncing ideas off of.

Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 21, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
A voltage divider may be the easiest/best solution. The current should be low but higher values of resistors would be wise.

http://www.raltron.com/cust/tools/voltage_divider.asp

or if you want to get really crazy you can play with the zener diodes.:

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_7.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:30:06 PM by jmlay »
Mike

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 21, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
That's just it!  This is how they got it to work, but where do these go?  Do they have to be made into a circuit board? 
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 21, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »
A little different solution, but here's a link to the other forum on what Randy M. did for an SOHC with an Isuzu component that has the pump and alternator combined. Just to further the discussion for anyone looking for ideas, kind of slick I thought. Not sure if this is what Leny is thinking of.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/message/1304037204/

Hey Guys, are you actually using this as power steering?  I did some research and its a vacuum pump for the Isuzu Diesel trucks.  Says it cannot be used for power steering and it actually is a vacuum pump to assist the Brakes (Servo?).  Its an awesome Idea/Setup, but has anyone tried it on the cammer to see if it works?
Jason

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 21, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
Well, I was just going by what Randy called it, I haven't seen one in person. Maybe makes more sense looking at the fittings. Leny bought it, let's see what he says.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 21, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »
No it does not need to be made into a PC board. It will go between the MSD tach output of the MSD & the wire feeding the tach in the cluster.

- Ground to ground
- MSD tach wire to Vin
- Tach cluster to Vout
Mike

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »
You may want to also consider a secondary set of gauges. If you've ever noticed, and it's been discussed, most modern car manufacturers gauges are not much more than OFF/ON gauges. the gauges don't "sweep" to register variations like they used to, they just go to the middle and stay there. They are basically designed to register somewhere between "self destruct" and "explode". It gives the modern driver comfort and piece of mind knowing that nothing has changed so everything is perfect ::)
A good set of gauges, even if they're small, can alert you to problems not otherwise seen.
Just a thought.

edit: But thinking about it, I don't know if Saleen uses their own gauges, which may actually be better than the factory stuff.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:22:09 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
Hi I have not done my home work on the atl / p/s pump maybe I got a bad deal on it I will try and find out more, My Sohc is not running yet, maybe Randy Can tell me. Leny Mason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:11 AM »
You may want to also consider a secondary set of gauges. If you've ever noticed, and it's been discussed, most modern car manufacturers gauges are not much more than OFF/ON gauges. the gauges don't "sweep" to register variations like they used to, they just go to the middle and stay there. They are basically designed to register somewhere between "self destruct" and "explode". It gives the modern driver comfort and piece of mind knowing that nothing has changed so everything is perfect ::)
A good set of gauges, even if they're small, can alert you to problems not otherwise seen.
Just a thought.

edit: But thinking about it, I don't know if Saleen uses their own gauges, which may actually be better than the factory stuff.

Hey Doug.....  NOPE, Saleen uses the cheesy Mustang Gauges.  I think I have a good handle on what I need to do to get the tach to work with the voltage divider (RadioShack).  Super excited to pull the engine this weekend.  I will take some pictures (for those of you who wish to see an empty engine bay!  )  LOL
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
Ok got my MSD distributor back today from having the billet steel gear installed.  My first step now that the valve covers are on was to find TDC. I turned the engine over until I saw the exhaust valve open. Then kep going until it said TDC.  then turned it again unitl it read TDC 1 more time since that would be the beginning of the compression stroke.  Now with TDC found ( actually 5* or so before), i lubed up the distributor gear with the lubricant that comes from MSD. The slipped on the thick rubber seal, and slid it down into he block.  It took a few tries, but I got it dropped down with the distributor pointing right at the # 1 cylinder spark plug hole. Then put on the distributor hold down and tightened it down. Tomorrow I will work on making all of e spark plug wires wit ceramic boots, rubbed dust covers.  Definately not easy to turn the engine over now by hand.  As i turn it, i can hear compressing air trying to rush out. Is that normal.?  I dont really hear it on videos i watch on youtube.
Jason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #340 on: October 22, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
Sounds normal to me.  Got your pulley today, by the way...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »
OK so below are the photos of the Engine in the Saleen poised for removal as it stands now.  As you can see the Wiring harness is littered with ID tags so I know what I need to use and what I can wrap up when the Cammer is installed.  I stopped by Pep boys yesterday to pick up an OEM AC/Fuel line disconnect tool so I could get rid of the AC tubes and disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail.  If you do a youtube video of it, the tool seems to be the easiest thing in the world to use.  Just push and release.....  35 minutes into this, I just said screw it.... I took a set of tin snips and cut the AC lines (refrigerant has already been removed).  I will never ever be installing the ac into the car again, and the portions connected to the AC compressor remain untouched for when I sell it.  The fuel line I have not started yet as I most likely do not want to cut it like that and last night I knew that's where I was headed if I kept going.  Fuel line should be the last thing holding the engine to the car aside from the Motor mounts.   

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:22:35 AM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:33 AM »
Sounds normal to me.  Got your pulley today, by the way...
Awesome Jay Thanks
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »
OK it has been a long weekend!  LOL  Father wasn't able to get down to assist, but the show must go on!  After getting a lifting strap wrapped around the stock motor, I took a little of the weight off od the stock motor mounts.  Oddly enough, there is only 1 nut holding the engine on the motor mount on either side..... and I might add that it was not on there tight at all .....  hand tight at best.  Scary, but good for my cause.  After lifting the engine a little, I used a little back and forth rocking to get the mounts free and the engine popped right out.  unfortunately I had a power steering hose hooked around something and broke it (the eng that screws into the rack is TINY.  Doesn't look like a big deal though.  Its a hose with a compression fitting on one end that it clamped on and not screwed on.  I will just purchase a new one.

With that being said, not a bad job for doing it my self.  With the engine out, I took the opportunity to roll it out into the driveway and carefully spray down the engine bay.  Its a fairly new car so not really that dirty, but just to make it a less dirty job when I swap out the K member.  While the Saleen was out in the sun drying, I took the time to clean out the garage a little and store the Saleen stock engine out of the way.  I still need to pull the temperature sender, oil pressure sender, and oil temperature sender and install them on the Cammer engine, but have decided to do the K member first.    Honestly with the Mod motor out and the radiator out, it looks to be a huge space! 

I want to remove some of the refrigerant lines that will no longer be used, also I want to keep but plug the heater tubes (with Forida Sun and a 427 SOHC, I seriously doubt I will ever have a need for warm feet or defrosters!!!!

Anyway, I just need to see if they are coil overs in the front of the car or if they are traditional springs in which case I will prob need to rent 2 spring compression tools from Autozone.  Just a little update.
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
Jason