Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775914 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
Actually just thought of another question while doing some reading.  When taking measurements with a Micrometer (For the crank journals for instance), when you do multiple measurements (usually at 90 degrees from eachother), do you take the average and work out the clearances?  Or do you take the larger of the measurements and base clearance off of that?

So say you do a 3 point measurement on the crank journal.  Say it has measurements that are fairly close with minimal "out of round", are you averaging these numbers?  (and if so, what is an acceptable out of round on FE's?)
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

HolmanMoodyStroppeVet

« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2014, 12:13:26 AM »
On a well ground crank you don't want to see any taper or out of round. If you see out of round, they may have a worn grinder, or may have rushed ?  Taper just means that you did not adequately dress the stone. Worn ways can be a factor too, in the bed of the machine.  Maybe look for a tenth, or 0001. But it should be perfect because it is new, correct? Who did what there ?

Like I think I said, I measure the rods and mains, then send the dimensions to the crank shop. This way you set the clearance. Let's see what you have.

I had a thought after I said hi.  Why not double check what you measure, by doing a plasti gage test too. See how what you deduce, compares to the plastigage.  I say this, because I had a guy, who kept getting his specs way off.  He was heavy handed. This confirmed it for him. Just a thought.

Very nice to hear that you are digging into the details.  I was going to add, make an extended nose blow nozzle. Take a standard one, drill it, and slide in a flared piece of brake tubing, or similar in from behind the tip.  The taper stops it from blowing out, you can champher a register inside.  I let the business end have a slight angle, no flare, and de burr it well. Make it around 2 geet long and from 1/4 or 5/16 th mild, soft steel. 

You can slide that deep in the cooling passages, with the block deck, turned down, to drain down, and blast out chips and slag sometimes. That is nice if it never gets to the water pump and so on.

You can also slide it down an oil passge.  Chips can be sharp, and wedge in. This helps dislodge  some of them for me.

On the GT 40 style FE's, and for Can Am level engines, and for others too, we completly metal finished every part of the block sometimes.  That meant, all of the porosity, was knocked down, or smoothed. 

I have spent 3 days, probably, on one block to replicate this.  Even on a current Sprint car style build. One reason, was to make double sure any porosity, or sand inside of it, or abrasive residue, was removed. Another was, again, reducing any potential stress risers, that can yield a crack, other reasons included faster oil drain back. 

This was seen as better, than painting it all inside, with Rustoleum, which was the trick of the month for a few years.  A lot of us deburr before the machining too. For next time pal.

I do not think that you need to do this at all.  You can just do what is adequate to get your sharp edges laid back, or chamfered. Confirm the thread depth and so on.

So continue the good work.

You suggest that I lay into you or something. That will never happen intentionally. No way.

As I said somewhere, I laugh all day and crack jokes. I love to smile with people and be up tempo. When I type, and I am slowly learning, I may sound edgy but I sure am not.  I just type as best I can.

I don't try to criticize, or sound anything but like a kind in a Ford man, helping another, in a Ford man way. As best I can. And learning as wel. But we all get rhiled, for cause.

I am not talking your way, I am speaking of the other Garage, and a few of the folks there. 

If you think I was lecturing, I was not.  Just trying to help, give ideas, suggestions.

This is going to be fun, I have great confidence in you.  I know that you will do well.

And heck, you have a Saleen.  They moved into the second Stroppe Shop, after the 3rd move to be close to Venolia and others. So that always makes me smile too.

Lot's of fast stuff came from those 4 walls, so carry on.

Now, remember, I have this thought to throw out.  To cackle into the car show, and wake them up, maybe just ponder, more compression?  You can mix gas, pull back the total timing, program an advance map for the street ? 

Maybe do this. Listen to a 10 to 1 SOHC,,,then listen to a 13 to 1 SOHC.  I hear a huge difference and love the rat a tat tat tat aspect.  Maybe kick it around.  We run high compression on a lot of the collection here, and a lot of blowers, so we just have a VP fueling station in house.

And we mix a lot too. It is just one more step and kind of fun.  If you are too far away, you can always dump in Premium and 'pussy foot' it back home.  Anyway, I like squeaze but you know your goal.  I dig it, thanks

On the 10-1 side, once done and dialed, keeping it sane, does, make it more attractive to many guys if you decide to sell it.  But if you sell it, you have to simply, build another !

Thanks now

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2014, 06:38:06 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate any and all insight.  When I said "Lay into me", it was just a figure of speech.  The more you can advise, throw out ideas, tricks and tips/ opinions learned with your experience, the more I learn.  :0)   When I got home last night I got started.  I put the crank in a 20 gallon tub .  I rubbed the whole crank down with degreaser and a clean shop towel.  After this, I broke out the brush set.  I made sure I brushed inside each oil passage  (using a cup or degreaser to pour in as I went.  After that, I brought the crank over to the sink (Which in my garage is right next to the hot water heater.  Got the water nice and warm, and then scrubbed it down (also using the pipe brushes to get inside the oil holes.

Then placed the crank on a table covered in the blue shop towels (in order to reduce foreign materials) and used the air compressor with my new 2ft wand blower.  I liked this one because it gave me reach, as well as a fine nozzle for really putting out compressed air.  I blew off the whole crank (turning it as I went).  I spend extra time blowing out the oiling holes to make sure everything was clean and dry inside.  I have to admit I hate putting water on raw metal, but as soon as I was done drying everything, I started with the WD 40.  I put a liberal shot of WD 40 down each oiling hole, and then used the air compressor to shoot it all the way through.  Then an extra shot down each hole for good measure.

After everything had a protective coating of WD 40, and while still on my clean working surface, I broke out the new tool!  My Micrometers come yesterday.  Using the 2"- 3", I started by making sure the tool read correctly.  Closing the caliper all the way, we were lined up right at "0".  Then using the calibrating block they supply, again right on mark.

Starting with the #1 main journal, I used the ratcheting portion of the caliper until we were snug on both sides, but could still gently slide off.  Came in right at 2.750.  To make sure, I put the caliper down and left it for 10 minutes (as I heard the heat from your hand can build up and throw off the measurement.  10min later, it came in again at exactly at 2.750.

It was late and I had to get up early the next morning, so crank was wrapped in clean clear plastic and stored.  I will measure the rest of the mains tonight.  After we are all measure up, I am going to start deburring, chamfering, and thread chasing on the block, and then it's getting into my little "Cammer hot tub of degreaser"!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:15:22 PM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

HolmanMoodyStroppeVet

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2014, 11:34:33 PM »
Hello Cammer Bud

Happy that you have some mic's, but we are missing 10 increments as I explained.

2.750 is a measurement in thousandths

We need a measurement in ten thousandths.  So you learn to read a Vernier scale

It should be on the back side?  With lines and an 0, then a 1, then a 2 and all the way back to 0 ?

That scale is where this whole game is played.  Right now we have a big range

If you do have a 2.7500    great .

And you said close the caliper,,,,,a caliper and a mic are a lot different.  A Caliper is usually good to accuracy in the +- 001 range when compared to a precision measuring device which is a mic.  A mic, has an anvil, and a thimbal that you twist up and down a finely ground thread.  Just to get your terms square pal

Going to check it for straight?

This is a good one for the spare bearings, new is fine, clean them.

I always set a crank in a big engine lathe, on good centers, and use a jeweled large face Starret indicator that reads tenths finely

You can also roll the block, pan rail up.  Set in the upper shells for main 1, the thrust, and 4 or 5 .  No caps go on.   You pre oil your bearing shells, with a nice engine building tool.  A spotlessly clean hand pump gun for oil. Mine are all metal. Look at Grainger maybe.  Plastic and metal is OK too. I keep one with 30 W, and one with Marvel Mystery Oil.   

Just put 3,4 drops on the bearings. And some one the crank. Lay it in slowly and true.  Drop some drops of oil on the main journal that you can see.

Now you learn you may want another tool for aluminum engines,  A smooth, flat plate to bolt to the pan rail, I have many, tool steel, ground dead flat.  You can used cold rolled, hot rolled is for construction and trailers kind of

With that plate picking up just a few screws, mount a magnetic dial indicator base next to each main.  I again, use a big face tenth indicating Starret jeweled movement, for more accuracy. 

Then gently turn the crank, and do it, so the friction tries to pull the bearing tang  down. This way it won't slide the shell up and out of the block. Thats rare but it can happen. Now indicate all of the 5 journals and tell us what you find, in tenths. 

Again, to the .0001. 

When done, pull the crank slowly, sometimes a shell may try to stick a bit, just go slow.  I stored all of my cranks in a rack, vertically.

I have seen a billet crank bend a bit, stored over the Winter on a bent table.  Not mine, an A Gas Anglia from back when. Some debate it here, I trust Sonny Bryant and Henry Velasco  there.

Be well and nice job

IS this crank in need of deburring?

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »
Im sorry. Yes the measurement is 2.7500.   No need of deburring on the crank. I actually tapped the oil dipstick hole on the block today for 1/2 NPT ( since the oilpan has a dipstick hole). I was going to mark the main journals oil feed holes on the block , but they seem to line up as well as can be expected, so no need for chamfering there. Tomorrow i am going to chase all the threads , degrease the whole block, scrub out the oil galleys, dry and insert pipe plugs.   Sorry for short post and no pics, but on an ipad.

Back tomorrow!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:11:50 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
Ok today was a long day. Power washed the block. Degreased, blown out, oiled up.

Oddly enough, mail oil clearances all came in within range 0.002 - 0.003.  I am definitely grateful for that!  Put in all the oil galley plugs i could find.  I still need to get the correct oil galley plug for the dip stick tube I tapped for 1/2 NPT.  Last time I was at the auto parts store, I purchased 3 sets of main seals just to ensure I had extra incase I screwed up a set or 2.  Clocked the rear main seal just a tiny bit so the seams did not match up to the mating surface of the cap/block.  End seals actually went in fairly easy.  I lubed them up with the TA-31, and they slid right down.  Used a small punch to put the nails in.  All is flush with the bottom of the block.  As a side note, when you use the dial bore gauge, the end makes tiny marks on the bearing.  I was reading another forum post, and it seems that these are no big deal and will not cause any problem.  The post actually said to use a piece of brown paper bag and some oil and you can buff it out (But its not necessary). So, bottom end complete.  Only had the crank in and out 3 times  HAHAHA.  On to the pistons!  I think I will wait until next weekend for the pistons as just getting the bottom end together yesterday took me like 5 hours.  Either way, its all buttoned up.

See video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TLXsDJwrU
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:32:53 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

HolmanMoodyStroppeVet

« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
I do it a lot different and did you a nice essay. I hit spell check and lost about 20 minutes work.  Poof,,,gone

Quickly, you can adjust clearances. Give us all of the sizes that you should organize on a 'Build sheet".  You can move bearing shells to change the clearance slightly, the shells are usually very close...but...I want to know WHY you have this variance.

Did you check the crank for straight?  Please post

Did you fit the rings first? With a plate or not

Check the cam fit?  Only 2 bushings but if cocked?  We get to create chips

Any more chips mean I wash it, plugs out.

Check and adjust the side clearances on the rods?  I check that during a mock up, often the crank, on the bench, rods, snugged, and see how close they are to start. If close, fine, if off, we mic all the rods and there is a few tricks to get them all the same

I run mine, all the same.

Measure the main bearing bores?

Please list these specs.

My cranks come from Velasco, Crower, Bryant and Scat.  0000 taper, 0000 out of round and no  bend. Why are they 3 tenths up and down?

More later

We never had to offset a main seal on a FE. It is OK, but a Chevy guy trick, that engine has a lot less sealing area.  Thats fine, kind of a Ford guy joke...but flush is fine too, with one dab of non hardening permatex. Have this side seal Ford trick too.

Nice job

I'd dis assemble it and see what we can fix, but for a street engine, your OK.  You will lose some oil pressure after break in the way you have it.

Did you fit the pistons too I wondered?  Measure it all, with a head plate on, measure the slugs, then see if they need to be swapped here and there to get the clearances closer?

Nice job pal, you are learning

Gotta work

Thanks

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »
Also of note, I believe the Pond SOHC block does not have an oil galley plug in the distributor area.  I am guessing because there are no lifters, so none of the oil passages associated with them were machined.

Also, 3/8th pipe plug was slightly too large for the mail oil galley in the rear of the block.  I have some 1/4 pipe plugs on the way (which is also the size I tapped the stock dipstick tube hole).

None of the pipe plugs I installed with the thread sealer were completely flush.  I am not sure if this is going to cause any issues (They were close to flush), but I did not want to "wrench" down on them in fear of stripping threads or cracking something.  Like I said, not sure this will be an issue???
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »
I did not do a mock up.  The rings were purchased for 4.250 bore from Diamond with the pistons.  I am hoping they all come in at spec, but if a few of the are off, I will ensure after a slight filing and de-burring, they are squeaky clean before being put back in the cylinder (I understand that the smallest of grit can wear down the rings during use.)

When I said between 0.002 and 0.003, I only listed the range that it acceptable for the SOHC.  I did not record the measurements on the Main journals of the crank as I was under the impression that only the clearance is of importance.  Once I locked the Micrometer down on a crank journal measurement, I "0"ed out the Dial bore caliper and measured the Block main journal with the bearings torqued to 110 and the side bolts to 70.

As long as the dial bore gauge came in between 0.002 and 0.003, I moved on to the next.  Is this correct?

I plan to do the same measurement on the crank and rod journals, but figured you can do this while crank has been installed.  :0)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:32:33 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »
I assume that now the crank spins relatively freely in the block?  With no rods or pistons in place, and the main caps torqued, you should be able to grab the snout of the crank with your hand and turn it.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
I assume that now the crank spins relatively freely in the block?  With no rods or pistons in place, and the main caps torqued, you should be able to grab the snout of the crank with your hand and turn it.

Yes sir!  spins like butter now!  Interesting how the torque frees up the crank.  Any suggestions for the ring gaps on this engine? I am going to measure the oil clearance on the rod bearings and then get started on fitting the rings. (Probably this weekend)

Through the miracle of the internet (and Im sure there are specs in the Piston box), I was able to find these.  Do they look correct?

Piston Rings

Width:       (Top) .062    (2nd)  .062   (Oil Control)  .125

End Gaps:   (Top) .028   (2nd) .028    (Oil Control)  .032

Groove Clearance: (Top) .0027  (2nd) .0027   (Oil Control)  Snug To Groove

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:07:39 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

HolmanMoodyStroppeVet

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
Hello Cammer man,

You say that you found some dimensions on the net, I want you to think this through please.

You never know what you have until you actually measure it. I wouldn't trust the net for a dimension, you as the builder have to confirm it all. Just measure it all to be sure. We always have. Any one little thing can bite you. Every size and spec in an engine is your responsibilty. Your reputation is made from how well you do.

For ring lands, I say confirm it all. I have hardened and ground blocks, called go no go gauges. They are precision ground, I made then years ago, heat treated tool steel, surface ground.

You just check all of the lands, piston by piston, they should be fine but I have caught a bad one or two this way, on custom pistons.  You can stack feeler gages but be careful not to score the lands. Make sure your feelers do not have a sharp edge which some have,dress it back.

I have caught inadequate back space too.  Check that by setting the ring in face first, the part that rubs the cylinder wall, slide it in to the back of the ring land, then measure the clearance from the front of the ring lands, to the curved back of the ring. This gap is your back spacing. Do them all. Less can be more on a competition carb car.  Give us this spec.  Keep your specs on a build sheet too. This way, when you pull it down to service it some day, you can gage what wore by remeasuring the used parts.

Then measure all the rings, for width, they are usually all fine, but I check it, all of it, to the tenth. Most custom piston makers, have a ring room full of rings to sell with the slugs.  I recall 2 times, having to trade back some scrapers that were about a thou less wide, just to match the remainder.  I suspected that kits got mixed and this happens. So it takes less time than typing this, ha ha.

For you, this is a good learning exercise. Might as well practice with the mic's and the tenth vernier scale.?

You can feeler gage the width of the land too, by comparing a new ring to it. Slide the ring in backward again, then see how your 0015 gage fits, then 002. And depth mike the back spacing.

Also,but you need to decide if you want to gap the rings with a torque plate on or not. If I dont plate hone a block, which is rare, but this is sometimes done on a lot of blown stuff, with sleeves, then no plate is used to fit the rings. There is a case for stressing the bore to gap the rings anyway, but this is your call as the builder.

But if you are trying to win, in class racing, or in a team setting,you can do a long list of tricks, including doing the valve job or lapping the valves with a torque plate installed. Lapping rings, lots of little tricks.  You are not really going to need that, but, when you fuss and fuss, you get some satisfaction too. When you leak down the engine later, and all of the numbers are the same, and small, you kind of smile. This can be the edge you need, the game of harnessing free horsepower, or building an engine that lives long enough to win, and that does not grenade.

Often a well built engine has more even static and dynamic compression too, and usually better cylinder balance, power wise, and more. Compression balancing can actually extend crankshaft/bearing life and more.  Often the out drives, like all of the chains on a Cammer, see less stress

On TRW or FED Mo pistons, I have shimmed the back space out, you can get special shim stock 'expanders' which is spring tempered stainless. It can help some class builds, not needed for most new style pistons. Never hurt back then. Still do it in some settings.  So look into the land depth and tell us what it is.

Your suggested end gaps are not ideal. Lets hear who's piston, what ring, and if you are setting them with or without a torque plate.  You can call your piston vendor for a nice starting point.  They suggest these dimensions a lot, due to the properties of their specific material, forgings and so on. 

You are designing a lot of horses out of this engine, by reducing the compression and cam timing, so, a lot of the high speed, or blown gaps do not apply. The bore concentricity factors in, so tell us more please.  I'd like to see how round and tapered your bores actually are, just measure it, take notes. Give us the specs please.

Some guys use a head plate, to distort the bore, but then relax it, and do the rings without re stressing the block.  We always asked, if we fit the pistons with a head plate,why not the rings?  Ideally, the bore should be measured and fit the same way to me, plate on, so doing the rings, plate on, always made sense to us. 

Here,you have an alloy block, with sleeves, it is less of an issue but worth comparing. Depends upon how trick you want to be. Depends on the actual parts too.  SOme blocks from the same vendor, and not as hard as others, same with heads.  Some end up too soft, and some won't even maintain the torque for long.

On doing that job, gapping the rings, I have special tools that you can make.  These make doing it all the same, and a lot easier.  I have a big piece of stock that is turned and make a depth setting fixture.  It pushes the ring down, the same, every time, with a torque plate on. We use a similar tool to set the sleeves

That reminds me, again, did you set the sleeves our did your machinist?

On gapping the rings, I also had some flat top pistons, which are made in steps, like 4.00, 04.03,4.05,4.133 and so on.  The head or crown  is turned flat in a lathe, just mount the soft jaw piston vise jaws(another tool a good engine shop has), and the skirt is turned mostly off too.  These are for use if a torque plate is off. The depth works fine on the bare deck ring gapping operation.  Usually blown/sleeved/billet block, or bone stock

It is de burred.   It has three washers pressed into a land, at 120 degrees apart, to slide the rings, one by one, hole by hole, to the same depth in the bore.  This is much easier than 'Eye balling' each one, and guessing if it is really square. If it is not square,the gap comes out wrong.

I have used a dial caliper, you cinch the stop screw so that is not moving ,,,LOL  And use the depth part, to set the ring square to measure, in a pinch, building at a race.
This is slow and tedious. I would figure something out.

Do it right if you have time. The washers just act as down stops to let you work better.  Start the ring , then push it home with the checker, slowly. Then measure the gap, pull it out, trim a thou, back in, square, check again. Over and over.

Then use masking tape or a layout table to number each ring pack, for the hole that it was gapped for.

Now for my concern,

On the main bearing clearances, you have some at 0020, and some at 0030 ? And you have decided to run that, and not see if the crank is running out? 

Don't be offended please, we do a bone stock street gas build at least within a few tenths out here, so you do whatever you like.  For me?  I would do my best to make it nice.

Sure, after break in, you can lose a tenth or two off of some bearing inserts, but the big crank pin here, say the 0020 clearance guy, can settle in it's bearing, by point loading it to wear faster. The 003 journals will kind of let the tight guy even out,but in doing so, that bearing loses over plate, and some of the features designed in.  On a street engine, a cold start is a big wear factor, so having the crank setting pretty even, helps it live.

Tell us your clearances 1,2,3=Thrust,need 2 specs please,4,5

Coated or non coated bearings I wondered too? Coatings have never been better. More free horsepower or durabilty sometimes, free meaining, psiton vs piston, etc. Power wise.

Can you list the main bore sizes as well?  In the block, that size? On the X or vertical axis? And the eccentricity and so on?

Personally?  I have never assembled a street or endurance engine with a full thou variation.  On a fuel car, just going back for another pass, with 60 or 70W, no big deal.

But that extra 001, is a half a thou per side, and a half a thou, well on some components in an engine, that can be bad. Like on a wrist pin, to the rod or inside the piston to the pin. 

Little side note, we want to check your pin fit too,pin to piston, and check the pin fit to the small end of the rod, and also the wrist pin end play to the lock rings, for later.

But remember, the mains feed the rods. Your oiling system, is a series of controlled leaks, daisy chained one after another.   A pressure loss here, affects the pressure down the line sometimes.  We were keen on maintaining the oil pressure and volume all of the way to the back main.  We did a lot of testing to help engine live.

The rate and volume fed to the rods, is affected, by the leakage, at the mains. So a real loose goose main,will deny the adjacent rods some measure of oil. In turn, the side clearance of pair of rods, will splash a bit less too, while others may be biased to through more. That affects things like pin and cylinder wall lubrication, and the rate of which the underside of the piston is cooled.  Splash helps pull away piston crown heat too.  I like it all even and close.

If you list all of your dimension in columns, as suggested, the cause of this range will be on that page.  The numbers reveal a lot. Is it the block, crank, a bearing?  I wonder and want to improve this if possible.

Tolerances can also 'stack' on you.  Parts range sometimes, so changing them around, can sometimes improve the fit. So can some adjustments.

I wonder, did they hone the main saddles funny.  Sometimes if you rush a guy this happens.

If the main pin/journal is small,and the bearings shells there mic smallest, the block may have been honed wrong.  This happens if guys are not good at doing billet caps.

If you do not dress the stones on the line hone well, and often, and/or trade sides at and even rate, some guys line hone a taper in a block.  I do it from the front for 3 licks, then the back, 3 licks. That evens out the work.  Measuring all the way helps

If I get a line honed block, I dial bore gage it, and confirm that it was done correctly. I hope you did this too.  All machine work is not automatically 'right on' at all, no sir.

This is why I want your numbers.  I have seen guys hand me a block, honed, and the saddles taper 001 front to back, or back to front. Thats because the honing stones were not trued well.  On an aluminum block, the block is soft compared to the billet caps, so this can mess the machinist up if he does a lot of stockers only. It can taper the stones fast too.

I suspect that the block may be tapered.   If so, the machinist owes you a do over

Also

On setting the rear seal, and gluing it in, do you plan to let the filings from doing the rings just fall into the bores, maybe down to the crank, or will you just run it.?  I wanted to figure that timing out too.  I want your sequence to come together well

Personally, you can't do that in a race engine shop that I know of.  The filing happens in the mock up area or machine area,you clean, then assemble.   So one room is fine, just keep the grindings out of the finished engine.  Gapping rings creates shavings, you can clean each ring, over and over, in and out, but this is too slow and un needed really.

Just another little fyi tip in case it helps ya pal.

You can do anything for your own stuff, but I wasn't trained that way, so I think my point is about sequencing, and doing high quality work.  I file fit the rings way before I final install a crank. Set the side clearances on the rod pairs, confirm the piston to wall, and the rest of the little things I suggested.

Remember, the mock up goes through these steps, and sometimes the pistons, after checking the valve to piston, come out to get milled for more clearance.  So until I know how the piston to valve is, I get this correct, then balance it even.  If you have to add valve reliefs, you lighten the pistons some more. So the crank needs a bit less bob weight. Some guys get in a rush there, and have to pay to re balance !

Your shortened ramp cam, and current pistons should be OK, but remember this for the next time.  And check it. Get 16 low tension checking springs installed on your heads too.  And figure out a plate or bracket to mount you dial indicator base on to check all of the valves.

Also...

I sometimes relieve the bores in a small bore cammer like yours too, did you check that and look into it?  We often shaped the edges of the bores or allow the valve to flow a bit less disruptively. That requires grinding, pin rolls, carborundum dust, again, you do a full clean, after.  For the street, you don't need that handlful of ponies maybe.

On the rings again, also, did you have a stone to dress the edges?  I used a diamond file, it is square, and an Ozark stone.  That is a fine grained, semi soft dressing stone.

Each end of the ring must be carefully chamfered.

Do you have a ring gapping tool, machine, or just free handing them with a file?  If you are a very skilled metal shaper, the file can be OK, but I had the trick machine with the electric motor, now I just use the hand cranker which is fine, and stone them 2 ways.  You do not want a sharp edge there, cutting the ring lands, the rings rotate and you do not want the ring acting like a cutting tool

One tip, go slow. It is easy to over cut a ring and you can't do much but get another for the set.

On a Moly ring, I do not file or de burr in a back forth motion, I go in one direction, to avoid any isses similar to the old Ramco Double Moly days.  Just a habit based in TLC kind of.  You ring set and seal is a crucial aspect of your engine.

OK, have fun

Be careful doing the rings, they can cut your fingers.  As you gap them, the edge gets sharpened some times, and it can get ya.  Seen guys cut and cut their hands if not careful.  A Latex glove can help.

If you are trying to be trick, well this is not a race engine I see, pump gas,that's cool.  I have another special tool, to assemble the oil rings, in each piston, slide them in, using a tapered piston installation cone, the old Ed Pink kind. Upside down.  The piston for each hole, and only the oil ring, go in the bore upside down, to the bottom.  Then you pull the piston up the bore, by the pin, with a tension reading pull scale.  You read the scale and note the drag.

That way, you can adjust the expanders to the drag you need, and make them all the same.   You just need the side of a bench grinder usually, fine wheel, dress the expander slightly,and then deburr, re test.

If the clearances are all equal, and the oil rings all draging away on the oil film in the bore equal, and the rod side clearances are also equal, along with the oil volume, enhanced with equal clearance,we figured, for a race engine, the oil film per hole, might be more equal, so any scuffing might be more uniform, along with wear.

If you are just in a hurry to build a street engine, some of these blueprint tricks are for learning the trade, or acquiring a higher level of precision.  It is also part of why a Pro has to charge you what they charge. Blueprinting a carb engine, takes a lot of time and special tools. 

Nice work, just giving you glimpse into how we did it for Ford back when, and since.

Hang in there. 

You can just 'bolt it together', some do,or blueprint it, and that comes in levels.  We did/do tenth tolerance engines.  That is an advantage for some settings.  I think all of these expensive parts deserve no less to be frank, but if you get close,given the target use,cool beans maybe.  This is your call.  I just don't want to see you miss something that can 'hurt it.'

But a lot of guys get it close, and send it. This is your build sheet. .we can make suggestions and give tips, but you own the result as the builder.  The result and outcome can be very nerve racking at times.

I like precise assembly, that is how we did it at Ford Racing, very very fussy.

But for the street, some guys just get it close for sure.

I have to be honest, I do not like 0020 and 0030.  For us, that has to get corrected.  Crank may be tweaked. And I never lay a crank until I know how straight it is. I explaned how to check it with an indicator.

If you want to get a better idea, just do the steps I shared. Then let us know.  I still wonder why you found taper and eccentricity there too.

Good luck and have fun pal.  If you lived close by I could be more help. Typing an engine together is , well, a challenge for me...I think I gave you a jump start.

Patience and precision is good, to us.

I am really busy, working long days and weekends.  Please email me if I can help further. 

You have a fun car in the works and I am proud of you for trying to learn how to build an FE.

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:09:17 PM by HolmanMoodyStroppeVet »

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »
OK, LOL  its the little things that are taking a long time with me.  Since there is no place to pick up stuff like what Jegs/Summit sells near me, I have to keep ordering.  I got the 1/4 NPT pipe plugs, and I was able to plug up the stock dip stick tube opening I tapped, but the Main oil galley in the back of the block is killing me!  I finally figured out its not tapped for a pipe plug.  Its 9/16-18 AN Port plug with a bevel for the O-Ring that comes on it!!!  Its on its way as of last night.  I am sure I could move forward before, but I would feel better with the oil galleys all sealed up before going on.   ::)

Also, Jegs sent me the wrong ring square tool and the wrong TDC piston stop!  So they are on their way back for an exchange of the correct ones.  For now, All is sealed up under an engine storage bag.....   :'(
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
Also on my list of rookie things overlooked.....  I do not have a Crankshaft key.  I am going to have to order one for this RPM crank, but I want to make sure I get the right one.  When I look at a ford FE crank key for a Scat crank, people have been saying that the Mr. Gasket BB Chevy ones are the correct ones.  I am wondering if the RPM international crank is the same?

Also there looks like a separate key to hold the balancer.  Is that correct?  so 3 keys in total?  The one that holds the balancer seems to be a long key
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:45:20 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »
While I am again waiting on Jegs, I thought I would go ahead and measure the Crankshaft "Runout".  I Made sure to use a large screwdriver to push the crank all the way forward (using the crank counterweight and the rear main cap)  the in reverse.  Each time I did this, and I did it 3 times to be sure, it came in at 0.005
Jason