Author Topic: Shelby stocker  (Read 32971 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: Shelby stocker
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
Here's some motivation for you! Are you intending on doing the stock class thing with it? If so, give the Horensky's a call, super nice folks and totally willing to give you tips/tricks on dialing the car in. Also, obviously, Blair is a great resource too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e8gz_ePcLE
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »
Here's some motivation for you! Are you intending on doing the stock class thing with it? If so, give the Horensky's a call, super nice folks and totally willing to give you tips/tricks on dialing the car in. Also, obviously, Blair is a great resource too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e8gz_ePcLE

Mike has been racing for quite a while. He had a full tube '69 Mustang, but not sure if he's still got it or not. He's got quite a bit of experience and I'm sure he will have no problem getting the car dialed in.

Nice to see the car coming along, Mike. Looking pretty good!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mike7570

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
I reached a Milestone over the weekend!  I finally finished cleaning off 52yrs of rust, dirt and grime from the mustang project.
I took every nut and bolt apart on this car but I made a big mistake in not getting it media blasted. (I think I was afraid of what would be left of the sheet metal.)
I broke countless rusted bolts off taking it apart, wore out numerous wire wheels and went through a bunch of cans of undercoating and spray paint.
Now when I'm underneath the car I will no longer come out looking like I just rolled in a pile of dirt. I'm starting front end assembly next with welding in the Trans Am style wheel side shock tower brace.  I'm also thinking of doing the Shelby drop for the upper A arm but I don't like where the holes are ending up.
Can anyone that has done the drop chime in?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:50:19 PM by mike7570 »

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
I did the drop many years ago , changed it back after a few years , did not like it that much , after reading about how it put the tie rods in a bind , if not using wedges under the ball joints , I did not think it was something I needed on a street car .  made my front tires rub more with 15x7's 225 x60's

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »
I've done it on my 68 Shelby (which didn't originally have that), and also my 68 Mustang fastback.  I've had no issues, and in fact I think the tire clearance is a little better in corners as the camber is more negative.  I have 225 60/R-15s on 7" Cragar SS mags on the front of my 68 fastback, and no tire rubbing issues.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mike7570

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »
I wasn't too interested in cornering since it's a drag car but I was reading this excerpt and thought it would be a benefit in 1/4 mile racing?
"Another added benefit of the drop is the flattening of the arc for the camber curve changing the camber less throughout the suspension travel keeping it closer to the specification it was aligned to."
You can see the camber change in the picture of Jay's 69 Mustang above. The Shelby front tire looks straighter (non shock tower car)
For a stocker I can't use travel limiters, besides I need the weight transfer to plant a 9" tire.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 05:19:58 PM by mike7570 »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »
   My '66 Shelby has the "standard" A arm location as SAI stopped  doing it after cars in the 300s. Mine is #477. I have never had a radical camber change situation. If you can't add a "limiter" , you can certainly run a "short shock" LOL.

mike7570

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 07:12:33 PM »
I watched the video mbrunson427 posted a few more times. I don't see the camber changing much during the wheels up launch.
I also don't see it on the 2 cars in the photo.
I am worried about banging up low hanging headers more by lowering the car.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:20:07 PM by mike7570 »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 07:34:29 PM »
Mike, PM me.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 09:11:01 PM »
Both of those cars pictured have had the control arms fixed.....
Blair Patrick

mike7570

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 12:52:49 AM »
With eccentric eliminator kit?  I have new rollerized control arms and bump steer kit but I haven’t put it together yet. I’ll probably get it  close then take it to a good alignment shop.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2020, 07:01:49 AM »

Not sure what that means either?

My '69 certainly doesn't look like that (wheels straight up) when I jack the front end up. The wheels look like Jay's '69 in his photo. I bought rollerized lower control arms and spring perches, so I'm pretty interested in this subject also. I didn't buy the bump steer kit though, because I hadn't heard of anybody saying it was needed for drag racing, only road racing.

As for lowering the car further and smashing headers, and since you can't use limiters, couldn't you just as easily use bump stops to limit compression? That's what I was planning on doing. I was also looking at using a road race type pan with extensive baffeling for oil control, to keep the pan a few inches higher than the deep pans, and using a set of headers that didn't hang down like the old Hooker race headers did. Earl was using a set that didn't hang down so low, but my failing memory can't remember the name of them. At least not without going back to the thread where we talked about it  ::) JBL, maybe?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mike7570

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2020, 11:49:02 AM »

Not sure what that means either?

My '69 certainly doesn't look like that (wheels straight up) when I jack the front end up. The wheels look like Jay's '69 in his photo. I bought rollerized lower control arms and spring perches, so I'm pretty interested in this subject also. I didn't buy the bump steer kit though, because I hadn't heard of anybody saying it was needed for drag racing, only road racing.

As for lowering the car further and smashing headers, and since you can't use limiters, couldn't you just as easily use bump stops to limit compression? That's what I was planning on doing. I was also looking at using a road race type pan with extensive baffeling for oil control, to keep the pan a few inches higher than the deep pans, and using a set of headers that didn't hang down like the old Hooker race headers did. Earl was using a set that didn't hang down so low, but my failing memory can't remember the name of them. At least not without going back to the thread where we talked about it  ::) JBL, maybe?

I was hoping to keep the car from wandering around a little on the top end, may not be necessary but I needed new parts anyway. There are ways to make bump stops but I don't want to limit the movement too much since I can only use 9" wide tires. The two cars above are using quite different headers. I had a set like the white car on my '67 coupe that ran in super street. I banged them up pretty good. I picked up another set at a good price for my car and I'm trying to suppress the urge to get custom built step headers  :D

mike7570

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »
Here is the shock tower bolt locations for the upper arms. I'm worried if I drop the hole 1" (Shelby drop) it will end up off or right on the edge of the 2 layers of metal in that part of the shock tower. I guess I could weld in some additional support in that area but is it really needed? 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:59:54 AM by mike7570 »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »
The new holes will come right up to the edge of that double metal area, but they won't go over it.  At least mine don't...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC