FE Power Forums > Member Projects

Shelby stocker

(1/29) > >>

mike7570:
 I get a bit jealous reading about everyone's projects while mine sits idle. I just can't seem to find the time to get much done.
 Well my 10yr project made a little progress, I got the new 9" rear in the car. I had everything measured for a tight tire fit (I got good suggestions from Afret) but as fate would have it the axle housing came back 1" narrower than planned when the housing ends were changed. I think everything will work out with a 3/8" spacer. I haven't run spacers on a drag car before, anyone with a comment on running them or not?

afret:
Looking good!  Glad you're making progress.   8)

You might consider sticking to billet wheel spacers instead of those cast aluminum ones.  Also it's probably a good idea to go to the bigger 5/8" studs.  I even use them on my street car. 

Hope your project keeps moving along.

mike7570:
The cast spacer is 1/4" for test fit, still a little tight. I went with the offset on the rims like yours but I didn't plan on the axle width changing.
I plan on using the billet spacers when I get the fit right.  I bought the rims used and they only fit the 1/2" studs (they can be ordered for 5/8" but I would have to purchase new ones)
Crap, I hate it when it's not right the first time. Maybe I'll give them a try, I didn't have any problems with them on my '67 coupe. Have you broken them before? Do the spacers create more stress on the wheel studs?

jayb:
The spacers can create more stress on the wheel studs, so that is really the issue.  Having said that I've run them before on a 9 second car and managed to get away with it.  I had stock size wheel studs but they were good ones from Mark Williams.  I don't think you'll have any problems, but I would pay attention to them, especially the first few times out at the track - Jay

afret:
Hey Mike, don't those Centerline wheels use regular mag style lug nuts and not those acorn type?   If they use the mag type lug nuts, you can use the 5/8" studs.  Those studs have 11/16" shoulders that are the same as the outside diameter of the mag lug nuts.  The 5/8" studs just use a flange type nut and the stud shoulder fits closely to the holes in the wheels.   The studs come in a bunch of different shoulder lengths depending on the thickness of your wheels and spacers if used.

Here's Don's car using spacers.  His tires have done a good job polishing his leaf springs.  LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version