Author Topic: Strenthg of cast iron question.  (Read 2648 times)

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
Strenthg of cast iron question.
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
What's the approximate relative strength of cast iron.

If you had cast iron nuts (the same cast iron as our FE blocks) would it be equivalent to a Grade 2 or Grade 5 nut?

Thanks,  Bob

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
Re: Strenthg of cast iron question.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
I dont have the answer, but one would have to truly know the actual laundry list of that particular casting make-up to give the correct answer....................if I was to guess based off of similar data I have read I believe the grade equivalent or true number is 5.300, so grade 5!

DEANs427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »
Strength of materials is evaluated by the type of force that is applied to that material, such as sheer, compression, tension etc. the average, overall strength is termed ultimate strength and using this comparison cast iron is rated about a 175 while structural steel is about 400, these numbers are increased by alloys, cooling techniques, etc.
Hope this gives a little insight from a retired mechanical engineer.

hope this gives a littl insight to the question
1956 Ford Gasser 427FE
1966 Fairlane
1966 Bronco supercharged

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »
I really only want to know what grade nut to use for some testing I want to do.    I don't want to buy Grade 8 nuts if Grade 2 will exceed the strength of cast iron in tension.

I am well aware tension and compression loading is different and that cast iron fail very differently compared to steel. 

Thanks,

Bob

chris401

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »
I really only want to know what grade nut to use for some testing I want to do.    I don't want to buy Grade 8 nuts if Grade 2 will exceed the strength of cast iron in tension.

I am well aware tension and compression loading is different and that cast iron fail very differently compared to steel. 

Thanks,

Bob
Here ACE Hardware has almost everything in stock. Not what you asked but I know how hard bolts are to find and order for different projects. ACE beats Granger bs prices and policies any day.