Author Topic: Yellowbullet flap  (Read 7566 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Yellowbullet flap
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:03:02 PM »
In case you haven't been watching, Monty---the owner of YB---has sold out and the new owner seems to be known for messing with the sites they buy.

There is rampant abandoning of the ship. The new site that seems most favoured is 'turbobullet.com' but it's brand new and having troubles. Are we having fun yet?

:) :) :)

KS

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Yellowbullet flap
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
The new owners may have bitten off more than they can chew.
They have a rep for buying and wrecking automotive forums with embedded ads and popups.
The "bullet" is perhaps the most vitriolic, wild, contentious, and entertaining forum in the automotive world.
The membership there is known for taking down those that deserve taking down - could be interesting to watch this one play out.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:29:20 PM »
I wonder what the old owner sold out for?  I've always been curious about what a very heavily trafficked site like Yellow Bullet is worth on the open market.

I've had a few people contact me about buying this site, believe it or not.  Always tell them I'm not interested in selling, so it never gets to the point of an offer...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »
Wow, Barry you hit the nail on the head. That is the worst forum I swear I've ever encountered. Seems like a lot of folks lay in wait to attack 1.) the poster 2.) the repliers trying to offer help or 3.) anyone who disagrees with these mopes or challenges their often limited or just plain wrong knowledge base. Shocking just how bad the off-center, ad hominem or ignorant the replies are sometimes.

Hey, wait, this sounds just like the FE Forum at times............LOL!  Just kidding, although there have been some odd battles lately. Hopefully it won't turn into a YB situation.

Oh, and Jay.....T-A-N-K-S again for hosting.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:41:34 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »
Hey, wait, this sounds just like the FE Forum at times............LOL!  Just kidding, although there have been some odd battles lately. Hopefully it won't turn into a YB situation.

Kidding? Ha, I think that was a pretty accurate statement. It has basically become the "wild west" forum from days of yore. Sad that Anthony let it get that way. I've given up about caring about anything that goes on there.

Although I belong to a couple other forums with non-auto related interests, the only other auto forum I can stomach is the SN197 forum ran by American Muscle. Pretty decent folks there with a common interest that have a genuine desire to help people. Much like here. I am a member because I own an '09 GT and they have been very helpful.

And Jay, please don't even consider selling the forum. You have a good thing going here for FE guys.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »
I mentioned all this to start with because of the degree of general interest that's available on YB---if you can get past the BS. As one with an academic background in Sociology, I find the range of viewpoints to be... :) ;D :o

I saw it mentioned somewhere yesterday that Monty got 2.2 million.

KS

mammyjammer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Never really thought of it before, but I bet internet forums are VERY interesting to someone in Sociology!!

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
The new owners may have bitten off more than they can chew.
They have a rep for buying and wrecking automotive forums with embedded ads and popups.
The "bullet" is perhaps the most vitriolic, wild, contentious, and entertaining forum in the automotive world.
The membership there is known for taking down those that deserve taking down - could be interesting to watch this one play out.

Would that be the owners of the FTE site? That place is ALL about how much ad space they can sell- really gives my Ad-Block a workout LOL

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »
Say Ken, methinks a lot of posters on the YB suffer from this effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

You could make a lot of moola over there offering therapy! LOL
Bob Maag

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »
Thanks for your vote of confidence! I'm afraid I'm too aware of my own level of ignorance. :)

KS

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 12:47:44 AM »

Oh, and Jay.....T-A-N-K-S again for hosting.

I think its the sign of the times... Money is tight and people are on the edge anymore. Its sad thing to see happen.... Been on there for years! The FE Forum that is.
  And Yes Jay, Thanks!
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

Garyford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »
If one can ignore the horrible rudeness on the YB. it did serve a good purpose in showing all viewpoints, not just the modern politically correct ones.  I found some of the objectiveness refreshing, that is what is missing in the modern world.  Even the FE forum has cultural restrictions (try talking off topic!). But I would never recommend YB to someone else.

It would seem that kind of unedited content could be a liability for any corporation, and it would seem most corporate types would avoid the YB.

I thought YB was valued somewhere at $500k -$1M, based on amount of web traffic. It would be interesting to know if that $2.2 mentioned is real, and was Monty able to structure the sale so most of it doesn't end up in government hands.

Garyford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
Say Ken, methinks a lot of posters on the YB suffer from this effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

You could make a lot of moola over there offering therapy! LOL

Wow Bob, thanks for the link. You just described what constitutes 67% of my career; undoing the expensive effects of contractors that think they personally invented electricity. 

But I doubt Ken could make any moola offering therapy; by definition the sufferers are in denial!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:01:28 PM by Garyford »

TomP

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
My computer took a dump the same time that ownership deal changed. I wasn't able to access it, YouTube or Google Earth for the past month until replacing the computer with some awful Windows8 deal .

In the meantime i signed up on Turbobullet too. I see YellowBullet is still going and not obviously changed, perhaps the ads get stopped in this new Windows8 confuser.