Author Topic: Question for the members regarding this board  (Read 17514 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Question for the members regarding this board
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
This complaints board doesn't get a whole lot of topics (thankfully), but as you probably have noticed the recent posts have focused on a couple of well known vendors, DSC and Survival.  My inclination on this is to let these kinds of topics stand, because if I deleted them it would be viewed as dishonest by at least some of the members here.  On the other hand, I have had personal experience with both of these vendors that makes these posts seem a little unfair.  I have purchased a few parts from DSC, and had no problems, and I have purchased a LOT of parts from Survival, again with no difficulties whatsoever.  The responses under these topics lead me to believe that most others here have had the same experiences as I have.

It is a truism that you can't please all the people all the time, and any business is going to have at least a few unhappy customers.  Sometimes these customers are not going to be happy no matter how they are treated.  What do you guys think I should do about this?  Some options:

- Limit the posts to complaints about private parties, and delete any posts about vendors?

- Leave the posts up for a limited amount of time, and then delete them?

- Leave the posts as they are, and let others chime in with experiences counter to the complaint?

I'm open to suggestions.  My original reason for starting this board is to warn people away from dishonest individuals and substandard products, but the complaints about DSC and Survival certainly do not meet that criteria...

Edit:  Also, if you have something to say but would rather not respond publicly, send me a PM.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:24:04 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Ididntdoit

• View Profile
Re: Question for the members regarding this board
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
Why not let DSC and Survival reply with their side and then close the thread - I don't think these "rants" hurt these valuable members anyhow - we all know the truth

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
Personally I think that well over 95% of these type of threads go against the grain and dont hold water in any decision I make anyways. I have never really understood these types of complaint boards anyways..............personally I say Scrap the whole thing.............but thats just me.

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »
My opinion would be to leave the posts as they are. It is a testament to Dennis and Barry's character to only have two complaints over the years. After presumably thousands of transactions a year to only have a couple complaints is unbelievable. It is nice to have a place for bad business practices to be heard. It should not be abused! Why is it that Barry never heard of this guy? I highly doubt that that this guy even purchased from some guy named Larry or Barry!!! And for the record I have bought from dsc and survival, all aces. One in our group took his all aluminum 482 to Barry for freshining and dyno tuning. He was thrilled with him. This board is a service to true fe people and should be treated as such. What would this guy have done if he ordered some new sohc heads from someone else on this board? Thats why its needed.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »
I would not allow anonymous complaints about vendors.

I also like the idea of locking them after the vendor and complaint have had their rebuttals.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:35:18 AM »
the negative feedback toward Barry and DSC are of the same format.
They complain, say they never got anything, and disappear.  They are not members here really, least not participating ones.
In both threads, the vendor and many other people spoke up in the vendors behalf.

I am 100% certain if Barry or Dennis for example had a manifold like a Blue Thunder that was supposed to be drop shipped and the order got strung out 9 weeks they would have responded favorably to any phone calls or emails regarding a refund.

That one regarding Barry (or was it Harry?  pullleaze) well just the way he put all that it sure smelled like bad press, almost sounded like someone that is a vendor of comparable products.  I was waiting for a sales pitch at the end of it, ie "I went to Joe's BullshitSpeed Shop and got great service, they even installed the manifold for me for free!"

Anyone with any common sense can see the reality of the situation.  I say leavem and lockem.

mmason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 09:46:49 AM »
I think having a complaint department is a little unfair to the vendor and to the on line readers. As you can see someone says what they think (as in bad) and the defenders have to come to the rescue.

If on the other hand you had a place to post your experience with a certain vendor you then could get the big picture like when you buy something on Amazon.com and read all the reviews.

In Barry's case, say if he had 30 reviews and 29 of them said they got an excellent product even though many had to wait longer than expected and one person had a bad experience, you could then  figure that you are going to get a good product but you might have to wait for it. The one bad review you could safely dismiss.

Michael Mason

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »
Leave it as is.....for all the reasons mentioned above. I've noticed that these posters are a lot like a drive-by shooting.......they never return to the scene, undercutting the validity of their posts. JMO
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:48:52 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
I'd leave them alone and be sure to voice support for the good folks.  I just think it's healthy to hear from all sides.   I haven't had dealings to be able to comment on DSC or Survival but if I had, I'd be sure to stand up for them.  I would at least have some good stuff to say about Brent if someone started ragging on B2 Motorsports for instance.   
-Wade

458" Blair Partick stroker/TKO 600 .64 OD/3.89 gears

428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
I am at a bit of a loss as to why we would want to remove the post. Many of us trade/purchase from people and vendors here. If there is a history of poor transactions, I would want to know before I funded something via Paypal, USPS money order or whatever monetary form you choose to purchase with.  I also see more issues becoming common as the economy declines.  The purpose is to protect the community here from unscrupulous shit bags, especially like Coon and FPP, which is sounds to me like they are very similar in operation. Leave them be, and if you have an issue, have the testicular fortitude to use your regular handle, not one you conjured up to trash an individual or their company.
                                                                                                        -Keith

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »
I suggested these good seller/bad seller forums here.
I still stand behind the reasons, if you do not have them, the posts will still happen, just in the other areas where it is less appropriate.

fe66comet

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »
I have only dealt with Barry @ Survival on my 445 build and he has treated me very fair and I at times can be kinda impatient. I commend him for putting up with me LOL.He is very helpful giving advice and knowledge and also very honest....Jon

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »
“Leave the posts as they are, and let others chime in with experiences counter to the complaint” is the option for me.

I like to see the reviews posted and how a person or vendor responds, if they do. I like to see the feedback from others, positive or negative. The forums are more than just technical information, they a great place to research things I may want to buy and who I can or shouldn't buy from.

Personally, when I have a problem I take it to that individual first. Bashing on the forums is a last resort.

To slow people down from signing up just to give a negative review make a minimum requirement. Vintage Mustang Forum requires you to be registered for 60 days and have 30 posts before you can access the classifieds section.

John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
2X to a minimum # of posts before using this area of the site as many 'Net forums already do this as you mentioned.
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, guys.  I also like the idea of having a minimum post count before you can post on this board; I'll see what it takes to set that up.  I think what I'll do is leave these comments here, but lock the thread after everyone has had a chance to respond, so it doesn't just degenerate into a bunch of name calling.  Thanks again for all the suggestions - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC