Author Topic: Freeze Plug preference - steel or brass  (Read 4244 times)

galaxastang

• View Profile
Freeze Plug preference - steel or brass
« on: November 26, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
 Starting the rebuild on the truck 391 I got a bit ago, so I'm gathering up all the little stuff. Thanks     

Joe-jdc

Re: Freeze Plug preference - steel or brass
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »
Deep brass fit tight, and don't corrode.  Joe-JDC.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »
I always use steel, but brass might be better if they are going to stay in there for 20 years and straight water is used as coolant sometimes.  One thing to watch for with FE frost plugs is the diameter; the correct diameter is 1 - 49/64", not 1 - 3/4".  If you end up with the 1 - 3/4" size, put them in with a hard sealer, not silicone, and maybe go so far as to either stake them in place or tap the block for a retaining strap or small retaining screws to hold them in place.  A frost plug that blows out under load is unpleasant  >:( , I've seen that happen on the dyno at a local engine shop...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:50:44 PM »
Brass screw-in plugs. If your machine shop doesn't have a proper tap, you may still be able to borrow one if you look. The plugs are available at a good hardware store.

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:49:23 PM »
I generally use steel.  I haven't every had either fail, but brass tends to feel a little loose as you drive it in to me.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Joe-jdc

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »
Every one that I have seen that has failed has been steel, and I have seen a lot of them over the years.  If you use the deep cup brass and clean the block with a brass wire wheel prior to installation, coat the block with sealer, and use a properly sized installation tool(not socket) the brass will seal indefinitely.  JME, Joe-JDC.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »
I've always used deep brass and some of my builds are going on decades.  :o

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
I use both, mainly brass.  I've never had any problems with freeze plugs.....with the exception of the time I went to drive a set in a 351C block.  I knocked 2 in on one side, smeared a little hooey-gooey around the outside of the third and proceeded to set it in the hole.  It fell right in. 

Not sure what was going on with that  block, but the one hole got a metric freeze plug....
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
Every one that I have seen that has failed has been steel, and I have seen a lot of them over the years.  If you use the deep cup brass and clean the block with a brass wire wheel prior to installation, coat the block with sealer, and use a properly sized installation tool(not socket) the brass will seal indefinitely.  JME, Joe-JDC.

I have always just used the biggest socket I had. What is the best tool / size to use?