Author Topic: How far can you safely deck an FE?  (Read 4036 times)

blueoval67

• View Profile
How far can you safely deck an FE?
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »
Just kind of curious as to how far an FE can be safely decked before running into strength issues.
Dave Walters
427 Galaxie Registry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: How far can you safely deck an FE?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »
Just depends on the block.  Factory?  Aftermarket?  I've ran a Dove block at 10.110" before, which is technically .060" off the decks...that's about as far as I've taken one.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

blueoval67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
I'm thinking of a factory block Brent. I'm sorting through stroke combinations and one will leave the pistons .032 in the hole. I've gone as far as .017 to zero deck a block just never as far as .032.
Dave Walters
427 Galaxie Registry

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
I don't think you'd have any issue going as far as .050" with a factory block.  I can't say I've done it, but if you reach around the water openings through the deck of the block with some kind of a wire probe to get an idea of the thickness of the casting where the outside of the jug meets the deck, you've got around 1/2" there.  Taking even .050" off that should not be a problem, IMO...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »
How about a shim gasket?

BTW, I saw your heads at Ray's.  Nice.  :)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
I deck them .040-.045 routinely and never have any problems.  I have taken some OEM blocks .100.......one even .120 once.  No problems.  I do think a block with a bunch milled off the deck is not a good candidate for having a sleeve in the future.  I cut a junk block up years ago just to look at the core up around the deck.  The cylinders are tapered out near the deck.  If the deck is milled a bunch, and the cylinder got bored for a sleeve, it would start getting thin where the core turns the corner up top.  You would have no issues at 10.110 other than the fact that you will have some creative fit-up on the heads and manifold.  Angle milling the heads about a degree will help that.  Then the valve covers will still fit the bolt holes.  You can correct for a one degree angle mill and .050 off the deck by changing the angle on the manifold only.  I don't try to cut the cylinder head face. The water holes in the deck get too close to the flange for my liking.  One degree of angle is about .094 to nothing on the head.  I just go about .080 if I do it, generally.  If you measure the width of the head..........divide your angle mill by the width of the head, then multiply by the height of the intake flange, you can calculate the amount of the angle mill for the intake...............and also measure it to confirm the number.
Blair Patrick

blueoval67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Great info on the FE deck taper too I appreciate that Blair. Seems like I'll have no problem decking .032 if needed. I'll definately check the head and intake fit no matter what. I have a set of Edelbrocks and a Dove spider 4V so who knows how that stuff will fit together anyway.

Thanks for referring Ray to me Brent, this is the second set of cast iron heads he's repaired for me. I couldn't believe the quick turn around on them. Nothing major from what he told me. They are just an old set of C3AE-H's nothing too special.
Dave Walters
427 Galaxie Registry