Author Topic: Pond build problems...  (Read 6369 times)

philminotti

• View Profile
Pond build problems...
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »
Jay, or anybody else with Pond block experience....

I've had my 482 Pond running on a test stand, no load.  Some condensation under valve covers, whitish film on rocker adjusters.  Pulled the intake, no milkshake, but evidence of slight water contamination in oil that pooled in the valley.  It doesn't appear that the water passages from the intake were leaking at all.  I suspect that there is some oozing from the head gasket area into the valley.

When I originally built it, water seeped from beneath the head gasket to the outside of the motor, even when it wasn't running.  I pulled it apart and treated my 1020's with kopperkote (i know i'm not supposed to do this).  It never seeped to the outside of the engine again, even when running.

My sleeves are all about 2-3 thou above the deck and relatively even.  My block and heads (edelbrock) were prepped by KCR. 
My question is, is this expected?  Is a certain amount of seepage "normal" for these aluminum motors?  I tend to doubt it.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

phil

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Pond build problems...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:07:49 AM »
No amount of weeping is normal for an aluminum block engine, Phil.  It sounds like the block is prepared the same as the ones I've had, so I don't think there is any issue there.  I've had similar problems with minor coolant leaks, both with my Pond aluminum block and with a Shelby aluminum block, but this was with Cometic head gaskets, and the Cometics are known for sometimes having this issue.  If you had a head gasket issue that was similar in the past, I'd say that is probaby the same issue.

I've solved the problem in the past with Moroso Ceramic seal.  You put this stuff in the cooling system with water and run it for a few hours, then drain it and add your regular coolant.  I used this stuff on my big SOHC, which leaked a little water out the head gaskets when I first put it on the dyno a couple years ago.  Haven't had any problems since.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-35500/

Since you are running your engine out of the car, it would be easy to do this.  The stuff doesn't clog up your cooling system like a normal cooling system sealer might.  I'll bet it would solve your problem.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
Thanks Jay.  As usual, you're a wealth of information.

phil

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:49:06 PM »
Pressure check time.  I've seen leaks from every possible location.  Easiest way is to fab a piece of aluminum tubing sized to clip the two radiator hoses together.  Have it drilled/tapped for 1/8 NPT and attach a common pump style radiator pressure tester.  Valve covers off and 20 pounds, sharp ears and eyeballs - along with soapy water will usually find it somewhere.  If the leak is too big to hold pressure for long you can cobble up the leakdown tester to deliver a constant moderate pressure so you can continue hunting.

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
Hi Barry-

Just for followup...I borrowed some block off plates from another Pond block guy who had leak problems.  No leaks at the block/head interface.  Pressure checked the Victor manifold as well, and it checked out fine.  

What I noticed prior to tearing down the top end is condensation in my valve covers and on the rocker arm adjusters.  I've only had this motor on a run stand, running for 10-15 minutes at a time over the last year or so.  Maybe it is just condensation.  I've never really had the engine at operating temp for greater than 10 minutes, and it has never been loaded at all.  Or I have an internal water jacket leak, but I doubt it.  I'm in the process of of putting the thing back together for the 4th time.  I do have a bottle of the Moroso ceramic sealant.  I'm debating about using it or not.  If I don't have a leak, is the sealant going to cause a problem?  I just don't know.  I've heard that it's standard practice for some OEMs to use Bars leak in all cars.  Not sure if that's true.  I'm not enthusiastic about dumping goop into my expensive engine.  But, I feel like I've done my due diligence as far as looking for a coolant leak.  I did flush out all glycol in preparation for the ceramic sealant...  Maybe it's cheap insurance, or creating a problem that didn't exist.

phil
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:27:33 PM by philminotti »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
If its any help I have used the Moroso ceramic seal before following the instructions on the bottle with no problems and no detrimental effects after years of running.

KjcfeF100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
I've had some coolant seepage from my Pond block with Fel-pro 1040 gaskets, and even a slight oil seepage from one gasket.  Looks like sometime this winter I'll try one more time to stop my leaks.  I was planning on trying the copper-coat treatment as well.   ???