Author Topic: Morel hydraulic Roller lifter  (Read 9398 times)

billballinger

• View Profile
Morel hydraulic Roller lifter
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
I need to modify my my pushrods to fit these lifters.  They are just under 1/4" longer than the Comp solid rollers I have.  These will be Harland Sharp rockers.  Barry has advised 8.35 from center of cup to end of ball.  I obviously want to verify the length before cutting.  The pushrods I have are over 9".

Has anyone used this combination.  Also Smith Brothers would like the overall length from the tip of the cup to the bottom of the pushrod. It is a 5/16 ball and 3/8 cup with a 7/16-20 adjuster.  I like to measure as many times as I can and cut once, but unfortunately I can't mock it up myself.

Thank you in advance.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Morel hydraulic Roller lifter
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:25:09 PM »
Bill
I think I am just going to order a set of 8.35 bottom of cup measured pushrods and send them to you to test fit.  Keep them if they work, return them if they don't.  No money involved.  I know I can eventually use them if they don't fit - and they'll tell you whether that size is correct or not.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
What a guy!  Nice gesture, Barry  :)
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »
Bill
I think I am just going to order a set of 8.35 bottom of cup measured pushrods and send them to you to test fit.  Keep them if they work, return them if they don't.  No money involved.  I know I can eventually use them if they don't fit - and they'll tell you whether that size is correct or not.

That would be a huge help, but if they fit I will have the Smiths cut down and roll on.  I appreciate it! You could just send one or a pair.  It doesn't look like anything is going to go off as planned anyway as far as the work.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:53:42 AM by billballinger »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:05:49 AM »
That BarryR is a good feller.....

Hey Barry, I'm curious if your StageX Edelbrock heads will fit my 390.   Just saying.

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
That BarryR is a good feller.....

Hey Barry, I'm curious if your StageX Edelbrock heads will fit my 390.   Just saying.

Yes he is. None better.  I hate being such a pain in the ass on it, but I am really anal about valve train stuff.  The HS rockers require that back feed hole be over the cup long enough to prevent galling the push rod  cup and adjuster.  I am always a measure twice cut once guy.   I was hoping for this fall, but I don't think it will work out that way.  If I can, what I will do is slip the cam and a lifter in with a head on a spare block with the rocker shafts torqued down and run it through and have someone verify that it is money.  My neighbor is Mopar guy who races.  He is pretty busy though, he is a race gas distributor for all of the tracks in the STL area.  He doesn't know anything about Fords, but I think I can walk him through it.   Of course the Doctor says I can't, out of the question, already asked. I have to be a spectator that it isn't worth my life, but how do you do anything?  1 day or 5 years it really doesn't matter.  I wish I could just take it to Dave McLain and get it done. Or just buy a 445 done and put it in the car. Its been a slow dream,  this long I wish it was a 445.  

I think the Stage X heads have a 2.2 valve, but I think he is using them on small bore strokers.  They represent a great value for the money.  If they do fit, I would definitely go for them, they would be a hurricane on a 390.  

If my wife loses her job and my SS deposits stop, we may have to live in that old POS.  :D  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:12:53 AM by billballinger »

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
I'll tell you what, if you are that confident that it is that measure, I will just send the Smiths off and have them cut. No need for you to order any, and I will specify that it is the ID at the tip of the cup to the tip of the 5/16" ball.  If you are that convinced it is good enough for me.  I called my neighbor and he is going to be on the road a great deal for awhile, so he can't really help. 

So the best solution is just to cut them.  I apologize if I have offended you in any way, but my options are quite limited.  When it goes together, it has to go together all at once.  The heads are 500# over the nose on the heads for that cam, and they are 310 open on my present flat-tappet.  So it has to happen all at once, and as I said I will have to be primarily a blind spectator.  If I die before this is done, I will be willing all of it to Afret, Kay and Tommy-T, (They don't know that so please keep that to yourself, if they find it on here its OK, I'll explain) car and all.  But I would like to finish it and have Alex run it down the strip once and get it thrown out before then.  :)   

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
I think the Stage X heads have a 2.2 valve, but I think he is using them on small bore strokers.  They represent a great value for the money.  If they do fit, I would definitely go for them, they would be a hurricane on a 390.

It was a joke Bill... I was trying to see if I could test fit them just to see if they work :-) 
I'd give them back after a week or two, honest.

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
I think the Stage X heads have a 2.2 valve, but I think he is using them on small bore strokers.  They represent a great value for the money.  If they do fit, I would definitely go for them, they would be a hurricane on a 390.

It was a joke Bill... I was trying to see if I could test fit them just to see if they work :-) 
I'd give them back after a week or two, honest.

It is hard to tell listening to a screen reader.  I miss reading, its tough.  But I get by.  But they would be a great value, Hours of porting, unless you know the right guy, (fortunately I do) won't get you much better results. 

I could not let Barry do that, it was a nice gesture, or a poke in the eye  ;)  I can't tell the difference any more.  But if he is sure enough to say that, I'll just do it and if they are wrong I'll throw them out.  I can't do what I am used to doing any more, so I have to take someone's word for it.  His is good, he has never steered me wrong before.  I have been building engines since the '70's, and he's probably about caught up with me by now in know how  :o

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 07:03:56 PM »
Well, nothing happening here.  Man it is hot!!!  I really wanted to get the engine out of the truck this weekend to pull the heads and the front off, cam out, etc.  All of my help has bailed on me, gee I can't see why  :D

It sounds like Mark has his hands full too, and they are getting the same Bermuda High pressure heat wave we are.  I can only imagine what it is like in Texas.  We may be reading about this in the spring. But I am still optimistic.  I still hope my wife doesn't get furloughed, or that we have any more political brinksmanship that would kill my Social Security.  The doctor said I am getting my cholesterol and blood sugar in balance, but doing surgery on my damaged joints, back, shoulders and etc would be a waste because of the scar tissue, and that the spots on my brain have not progressed any further than  months ago.  My vision is still not going to improve though. But, tt was pretty good day.  I am looking forward to getting the car done and getting to hear an FE again.  I like my wife's 2011 Mustang V6 at 7000 rpms, but it just isn't the same. ;D

I was hoping to fire the old truck up this weekend.  The 390 is solid lifters with the galleys plugged.  I normally pull the valve covers and pour oil on the lifters and cam and the valve springs if it has sat for 6 months or so.  It has sat for 6 months or so, and I would really like put some fresh gas in it and try to get my son to run me around the block with it.  But he won't go through the pre-oil, and I can't.  Do you think it is safe to just pull the coil wire and crank it in short bursts until the gauge shows pressure, and then fire it up?

It goes against the grain for me, but expediency sometimes has to take precedent.

Thanks!  

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »
I think you'd be safe doing that.  When you start it up wing it a few times to get some oil splash up around the lifters, and you'll be fine in my opinion.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »
I think you'd be safe doing that.  When you start it up wing it a few times to get some oil splash up around the lifters, and you'll be fine in my opinion.

Thank you very much.  I hate doing it that way, my son says i am crazy, well really I am, but that is how we will do it..

Appreciate it Jay!

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
you need to move to Georgia, Bill.
I've got a big shop and I'm bored 4 months a year.

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 06:16:40 AM »
you need to move to Georgia, Bill.
I've got a big shop and I'm bored 4 months a year.

I wish I could! When I was in better health and could see, I used to visit the mills in SC as part of my job as a Production Manager.  I would fly into Savannah, and drive up the coast to Summerville and Charleston.  I loved pub-crawling in Charleston.  They had a cigar bar there where you could buy real Cubans and the best brandy on earth.  Visit the Citadel and look out at Fort Simpter.  In Summervile, there is a place named Oscar's that has some of the best seafood, cold beer. and really good house bands for entertainment.  But Georgia is where I wish I was.  I am part Cherokee and Scots -Irish, and many of my ancestors came from Georgia.  I have barely been there, but I have had folks ask me if that is where I am from because of my accent.

Wish I was there, really!      
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:19:48 AM by billballinger »

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
Bill
I think I am just going to order a set of 8.35 bottom of cup measured pushrods and send them to you to test fit.  Keep them if they work, return them if they don't.  No money involved.  I know I can eventually use them if they don't fit - and they'll tell you whether that size is correct or not.

That would be a huge help, but if they fit I will have the Smiths cut down and roll on.  I appreciate it! You could just send one or a pair.  It doesn't look like anything is going to go off as planned anyway as far as the work.  Thanks!

Hey Barry did you get my e-mail.  I am kind of in a bind with my push rods.  Can you call me at (573)431-0040 or shoot me an e-mail.  I think I have a fairly clear picture. 

Thanks.