Author Topic: August 14, 2011 - The Road to Drag Week 2011  (Read 16223 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
I was thinking of the old time racers trick of draining the oil for the final run. No doubt power will be found but it is has a more then a slight resemblance to playing Russian Roulette. How low do you go?

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Kirk Morgan the running No Pressure in cooling system seems risky
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »
I was under the impression there is always "hot-spots" in engines where heat can get built up such as near exhausts etc. I learned this is was a problem in Taxi and Cop Cars with sustaned idling.  IF there is a hot spot "steam" will tend to build up there in a pocket and unfortunately a steam pocket does nothing for cooling and in fact insulates the heat from getting away from the already hot spot since it holds the coolent water away from the already hot surface. Obviously with No Pressure the waters boiling temp is 212F. So you could end up having a steam pocket that would not even exist if there were pressure. It would raise the hot spots boiling temp to lets say 225F and still have water in contact. This building of steam pockets can get very aggressive as the pockets implode.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
Re: August 14, 2011 - The Road to Drag Week 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 03:37:57 PM »
This may sound stupid but have you checked your exhaust system for stray chickens, owls and other unwanted guests. I had a perfectly good mower run like crap because a mudwasp liked the smell of the muffler and decided to move in.

Kirk Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 06:40:36 PM »
BB first of all I dont think Jay will do any idling for a long period of time. Second it is easy to watch the water temp than to see if you have any water in the oil. I have been a certified mechanic here in south Texas for over 30 years and the only American made V8 to have those type of problems was a Chevy 400 small block. Running a closed pressurized system is the way to go but with Jays situation i would lower the cap pressure or have none at all. I think with 50-50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water would raise the boiling point plenty high enough for comfort.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 08:21:17 AM »
I'm still not eating my hat until Jay can verify what happened later on. I will keep some real maple syrup handy though.......... :D
Bob Maag

cdmbill2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
I don't think the oil pan is the issue, certainly not at this level of difference. As to the water pressure or not, Drag Week cars are street cars first race cars second as they have to live through a 1000 plus miles of highways, backroads, freeway, in town traffic and then make a few passes at each track and then pack up and do it again. A proprtly functioning cooling system is table stakes and that means running a pressurized system to keep down hot spots that become detonation points and ensuring the engines ring seal and associated components stay in top shape through the drives.

It also means ease of service which makes running coolants like the Evan's stuff cost prohibitive and complex if you have to pull the motor down during the event on the side of the road. The more stuff that can be easily replicated, replaced or repaired the better.