Author Topic: New FE stuff:  (Read 11195 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Re: New FE stuff:
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
You know, I'll eat crow for this, so I might as well admit it...I thought the "FactoryRep" person who was posting these all along was a troll just creating hype about some non-existent future product. 

It will be interesting to see what price point the heads and block are going to sell for. 

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
You are not alone Doctor!

With the demise of Genesis, the false starts to the 351C blocks, the whole sad episode with leaky SOHC heads from he-who-will-not-be-named and his know-it-all mouthpiece....I hesitated even posting this here.

Time will tell, I guess!
Bob Maag

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »
That post will be vaporized off the other site within a few days, it's already getting ugly. 

482supersnake

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
I kinda fel that it is a little sad that they can't put up a price point yet. I know there can be some unknown variables, but for advanced as they are saying this whole thing is they should be able to to put out a +/- $200.00 number. I don't think they would have started this whole proccess without knowing where they wanted to be able to sell the parts for.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
I agree about the pricing; that is going to determine if there is a whole lot of interest in these parts or not.  I'd like to know more about the R&D effort behind that project, and some of the performance characteristics of the heads and blocks.  The information is a little sketchy at this point, but the parts sure look nice...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

dubsan

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »
Hi Jay and guys
I've seen the  BBM blocks (both  alum and iron)  and heads.  Have been around the FE's since the late 60s and these appear  to me to be the highest quality,finest machined  units  I've ever seen.  Stopped in at Robs a couple weeks ago to pick up   some gaskets and a new oil stick tube, Saw these  in his shop.  At the time he insisted I not mention anything  as a press release was forthcoming.  Rob ,his staff and engineers from BBM had just finished three days of bolting on every available stock FE components, cams, heads, rods everything  both original from Ford and scores of aftermarket  hardware, Edelbrock  blue thinder etc...  In an attempt to find any flaw, distortion, , thousands off anywhere.  the blocks were perfect.   Have known rob for 30 years and and never seen him so excited.
Give him a call. since the factory rep released  pics and lots of details I'm sure rob will be happy to fill you in on some of the details. 
Larry   

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »
Two things:

That sure looks like a large quantity of BBM heads shown in the pictures - is there enough demand for that supply?

I'd like to hear more about the block being made in Michigan that Barry R referenced.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
You will hear more about the block soon.  Very soon.  Despite the ill advised commentary made by some that USA cannot make stuff anymore, these blocks are cast and machined within 6 hours of my shop.  I have NOTHING to do with them - at least not yet - beyond the desire to distribute them once they are available.

I will probably try to be in the distributor scheme for the Korea parts as well once they are available - after all I have sold blocks and heads from every supplier at one time or another - I am a distributor first and foremost.  The parts look very good, the heads are a little scary in some respects for obvious reasons.

There were a couple comments in that thread that I found somewhat misleading though.  First is that they "chose" the foundry and machining centers after considering other options.  The truth is that they ARE the US base for that operation and never would have considered any other location no matter what the economics or capabilities.  The images are obviously staged with no personnel, not a single metal chip in sight, and almost nothing other than the FE parts shown on the floor.  The facility is very obviously first caliber and extraordinarily well equipped - equally obvious is that the investment at that scale would not be paid with FE or other short run aftermarket parts.

The other reference is the intimation that none of the US based casting efforts have born fruit.  That is decidedly in error considering that Shelby and Pond have been production for years now with minimal interruption beyond that commonly associated with short batch runs.  Edelbrock is beyond reproach as an example of high volume US based casting.  The issues surrounding Genesis had nothing at all to do with foundry or machining capability, and has always been tied to the personal finances and relationships of the principles.

In the end it is the best combination of features, marketing and cost that will win this - as it should be.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 09:56:10 PM »
That sure looks like a large quantity of BBM heads shown in the pictures - is there enough demand for that supply?

I count roughly 160 heads or 80 sets.
A cottage industry count.
A 100 off in a large production shop is a small order.
I've spent my whole life in machine shops.
That shop looks like they're starving for work. Which is why the price for BBM was good. ::)

A quote from FactoryRep.

"After a great deal of work in port and combustion chamber development, the aluminum cylinder heads are in final stages of production. The heads are cast off of a fully ported and digitized port design. Sold bare, they will need only to have the guides honed and a valve job to be ready to run. A large valve (2.25/1.75) CNC ported version will also be available at the same time."

You will still have to source valves and have a reliable machinist fit them. Not a simple task for all.

They look like they're trying to copy your heads Barry?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 10:10:43 PM »
The heads look similar but without looking at them in person I really cannot comment.  They certainly seem to have gone to a similar strategy.

The sourcing commentary is a bit misleading since BBM is affiliated with the foundry and machining center.  The photos are obviously "posed", but I have no problem with that at all.  We did similar stuff all the time in other plants - doing our best to make things look good for potential customers.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 02:44:50 AM »
The parts look very good, the heads are a little scary in some respects for obvious reasons.

Barry, can you state what you find scary about the heads? Would it be the chamber shape and finding/making pistons to work with such a smallish chamber? Something else?

The ports look pretty nice for as-cast, especially the exhaust ports. They seem to have a nice cross section. Even the external "tunnel" seems wider to keep thickness, but that's only an appearance and may just be deceiving. But the chamber is the shining point that I see. Not only does it have the modern heart shape, but the chamber is contoured on the far side of the intake valve to promote swirl within the cylinder. Something not seen on any other FE head, it's pretty much new-age (actually not, but with regards to more commonly available, non-total race parts) thinking with regard to what happens to the charge as it enters the bore. The contour will help guide the incoming charge into a swirling motion that of course helps with detonation and an even burn, taking the turbulence inducing heart shaped chamber to the next level. That is part of a story that flow numbers don't tell.

Of course, until the heads are seen and touched, it's all speculation....but what the hey :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »
Scary because of the visual similarity to mine...

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
Has anyone noticed the rocker arm pad looks like the blue thunder pad or is it just me? It looks like they were designed for the TD rocker arm system with a little more drilling and some time serts.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:14:24 AM by GJCAT427 »

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »
I just VERY recently had a phone conversation with a Rep from BBM.
They are pretty much ready to launch their FE line. I know that sounds odd. ???
They are pretty much what I expected. A niche market producer with a pretty good vision.
I have a much better understanding of the manufacturing facility.
I was told early fall was the expected release of parts.
Prices? Pretty much what I expected. Meaning FE's are pricey and BBM will not be changing that. ::)
The way I see it, and this just my own thinking, BBM is making like a "greatest hits" of the block and heads.
I was told they got a collection of HP heads both stock and aftermarket and took all the good things about each one and stirred them into their head.
From the pictures it looks like it.

Full disclosure: I'm just an FE addict and have no affiliation with BBM what so ever.
My count of 80 sets of heads was off. They have 100 sets. And can make more.

I know this sounds like some kind of hype, AND IT IS!
There's a company making 100's of HP heads and blocks for the FE.
That's just what I need, an addict with a new supply. gezz.

http://bearblockmotors.com/